Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2007, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,367 times

Advertisements

Hi all...what a fascinating forum!! I swear I've learned more in the 3 hours I've spent reading past threads on this site than I've learned in the whole of the internet in 3 weeks!

I need advice. Desperately.

I'm a Texas girl. Single mom of two of the most amazing children in all of the world, ages 8 and 14. Somehow, (through no fault of my own *wink*) I met, and eventually fell in love with, the most amazing man in all of the world...he just so happens to be in Connecticut Now, it just further so happens, that HE fell in love with me TOO! And on the night before New Year's Eve, as we were enjoying a VERY lovely dinner at Carmine's in NYC, he dropped to one knee, and wouldn't you know it, he PROPOSED!! Well I was just so excited that I said YES!

There's just one problem. Did I mention I'm a Texas girl? Yeah.

Let me just see if I can shorthand this a bit...

I'm moving to Connecticut. In June. I need to find a rental. I have no *idea* where. The fiancee lives in Norwalk, works in Milford. I'd love to be close to him (although let's face it, after 4 years of not even being in the same TIME ZONE, anything is an improvement). I need good schools, a safe community, and a place that won't scare the bejeezus outta me (did I mention I can get lost on a one way street?)

Any advice is greatly accepted and appreciated!

I'm especially interested in your views on Hamden, Old Saybrook, Guilford and Madison (based on what I've read)...but I'm open to ANY suggestions!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 09:02 AM

223 posts, read 1,173,230 times
Congratulations on your engagement and on your planned move to Connecticut!

I'm a native of the Hartford area so my precise knowledge of the shoreline towns is not as good as others on this forum. However, I can say that you may not want to consider the towns east of New Haven (Old Saybrook, Guilford, and Madison). These are very pleasant (and expensive) places to live. However, since your fiancee is working in Milford and living in Norwalk, you might find yourself -- in my humble opinion -- unnecessarily distant from him! Assuming there is no congestion on I-95 (an extreme rarity), these towns are all at least an hour away from Norwalk.

There are several towns that might suit your needs which are much closer to your fiancee. I would agree that upper Hamden might work for you. Also, investigate Woodbridge, Orange, Milford, Stratford, Shelton, Trumbull, Monroe, and Fairfield. From your desire for good schools, I recommend avoiding New Haven, West Haven, and Bridgeport.

Good Luck!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:43 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha22 View Post
I would also avoid Stratford schools.
If you're an agent licensed in the state of Connecticut, you'll realize that this commentary is a no-no!

Old 04-18-2007, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,367 times
Just a follow up....after reading more on the forums and doing ENDLESS research I've found an apartment in Milford...

Now I just have to pack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut