Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 AM

9 posts, read 22,861 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry about the edit. I just happened upon this site and saw what you wrote and joined to answer it. I thought I read what I had to to join and then wrote my reply. I had put my email and website in and it was rejected. They took it as an advertisement... It was not my intention. I only wanted you to read my story of the area...
There are plenty of hospitals here. We in Roxbury only go down the hill to New Milford where you are just about always the only one if you are in the emergency room. It's very quiet... There is plenty of shopping all around... You do have to travel 4 miles for the stores. We have a general store here in Roxbury. There isn't much here, Roxbury is super small. BUT Woodbury is wonderful, and Southbury has Heritage Village which is a "wonderful" retirement area.... The grounds used to be owned by Victor Borge back in his hayday(the new generation doesn't remember him, but I'm in my 50s and LOVED his antics)! There are lots of rentals there or purchases or temporary to get to know the area... I've been here all my life and there isn't anywhere else I'd go to retire. My folks live in Florida and are in their 80s, but come here every fall and soon will be relocating here with us too...
Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Hi "It's cold up there"! My edit was my webpage and my email address... My webpage had allot of local info on it I wanted you to read... I didn't know I couldn't use it. No I'm not a realtor. I'm a custom old world builder. but my passion is gardening... LOVE making everything flower, I think that's mother nature "smiling on us"!!! I would be happy to fill you in on anything you need to know of the area. The best local news papers, etc... Just let me know if you need anything... Donna

Old 05-24-2009, 02:43 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,602 times
In response to USMFamily:
Unfortunately our former real estate agent made us feel that unless you're old money you aren't welcome in parts of CT. *shakes head again*. Specifically most of northwestern Litchfield county. Perhaps what he meant was "unless you have gobs of old money don't make me embarrass myself calling listing agents in Litchfield county about houses under $1 mil". ??? Who knows. Another person once told us we'd be "fish out of water" in Litchfield.... I still don't understand that comment. I think I took it as if you're not a NYC weekender, you're a peasant.

Thanks Sheltie, I will remember the offer!

Old 05-24-2009, 03:45 PM

Everyone is "Very Welcome" here!!! It's a very warm friendly place. I guess there are probably a few snobs scattered about but they would stay to themselves and NEVER ruin our day... they exist everywhere. There is a perfect house for everyone no matter what you want to spend, don't let anyone tell you different. There are more houses at a reasonable price than the big stickers... I raised my family here and it's like stepping back in time. What I love about southern Litchfield county is the easy access to the highway in any direction, yet you can use the backroads with NO traffic and get there quick also. The weather is mild. I can be in NewYork in about 15 minutes, Massachusetts in an hour, and day trip anywhere in New England. I'm about 45min. from long island sound, and another hour from laying on the ocean beach of rode island... there are some great little newspapers that you can subscribe to and do lots of reading on the area and real estate and the basic goings on here... One of my favorite is "The Voices", published in Woodbury... It is a wonderful way to get it all in one...

again, any help I can offer, "just ask"!
Donna

Old 05-24-2009, 04:38 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Unfortunately our former real estate agent made us feel that unless you're old money you aren't welcome in parts of CT. *shakes head again*. Specifically most of northwestern Litchfield county. Perhaps what he meant was "unless you have gobs of old money don't make me embarrass myself calling listing agents in Litchfield county about houses under $1 mil". ??? Who knows. Another person once told us we'd be "fish out of water" in Litchfield.... I still don't understand that comment. I think I took it as if you're not a NYC weekender, you're a peasant.

And you take what one person tells you? A comment like that would make me laugh. Hmmmm..I'd say something smells fishy if you'd be so gullible to believe one person. Maybe you just had a long 14 hour day at work and took it the wrong way. That happens a lot here.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:20 PM

243 posts, read 774,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post

It's funny because Litchfield is far from "old money." Yes, people do have money in parts of Litchfield County, but take it from me, someone who has been up there numerous times, anyone is welcome to Litchfield. Litchfield County to me is very liberal, (you can say fiscally conservative for some) and gives Connecticut its name as being educated, friendly and polite.

Are there people with "old money" in Litchfield. Yes, they either have second homes or retire there, but they don't live there year round. Litchfield has a very laid back feel. I live in Fairfield County but when I am up there visiting people I know it is so peaceful and relaxing. Alot of Litchfield isn't flashy either, in fact compared to Fairfield County and even most parts of New Haven and Hartford Counties, Litchfield seems more on the low end of the income spectrum.

Trust me, don't take what some real estate agent tells you, he/she is most likely trying to sell the most expensive house so he can profit as well.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
Trust me, don't take what some real estate agent tells you, he/she is most likely trying to sell the most expensive house so he can profit as well.
Actually, if any agent gives you an "opinion" of any sort, you should consult the State's Department of Consumer Protection to file a complaint.

As agents, we are supposed to provide information on the property of interest and comps for similar properties so that the buyer can proceed accordingly.

We are NOT allowed to provide opinions on: future market value of a given property, neighborhoods, schools, population composition of the town, etc.

I really don't understand how someone earned their money has any impact on your ability to pay your mortgage. Will you like all of your neighbors? Probably not. It's human nature. Will they like you, and should you care? That's up to you...

Old 05-24-2009, 10:21 PM

243 posts, read 774,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Actually, if any agent gives you an "opinion" of any sort, you should consult the State's Department of Consumer Protection to file a complaint.

As agents, we are supposed to provide information on the property of interest and comps for similar properties so that the buyer can proceed accordingly.

We are NOT allowed to provide opinions on: future market value of a given property, neighborhoods, schools, population composition of the town, etc.

I really don't understand how someone earned their money has any impact on your ability to pay your mortgage. Will you like all of your neighbors? Probably not. It's human nature. Will they like you, and should you care? That's up to you...
Key statements there are "supposed to provide" and "we are not allowed". I hate to put it this way, but there are bad apples out there even in the real estate market. If an agent told me I would be a "fish out of water" when he or she has no true idea of who I am as a person or what I am or am not able to afford I would quickly move on to another agent.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:37 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,602 times
Thank you for your posts:
Unfortunately the agent we were working with had a form we had to sign binding us to use only him in our search for a specific period of time in specific areas of CT. We did eventually go with another company/agent who is very good and I would use again if I were to look in the Valley.

I would never go off one or two person's opinions of the area; especially the ex agent, which is why I'm asking questions on a forum that is used for this very purpose. I want to get a well rounded idea of the place. Median incomes and house prices are vital data and sometimes do not seem to reflect what is actually out there, so I ask... and this is the place to ask. And I am glad to hear you describe the area as laid back and no one cares much about how you pay your mortgage.... specifically the info. I am digging for.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:00 PM

What would we do without our internet??? Can you imagine the poor people that had to relocate before we had this wonderful tool!
I personally think you shouldn't sign exclusively with any real estate agent... Look on line for the local newspapers, etc... and the house listings are just about all on the net... and if you see a house you like then post to see peoples pros&cons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut