Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:03 AM

6 posts, read 22,960 times

Advertisements

I have read the State of Connecticut Statutes and all the information that I could locate on CT.gov about security deposits.

I provided my landlord with more than 60 days notice of moving out. Now I am about 30 days out and had a conversation with him about how to proceed with security deposit and anything else of interest before leaving. He informed me that he was going to keep $500 (nearly 40%) of my security deposit to paint our place when we moved out. This was after he told me we were great tenants and he knows that we kept the house in excellent condition (which we have). He said that painting the unit shouldn't come out of his pocket. Mind you we have lived in the place for over four years. I asked if painting after such time shouldn't be considered normal wear and tear, he repeated himself and said that painting shouldn't come out of his pocket.

Can anyone shed some light on who is right here and if I am entitled to 100% of my security deposit back (assuming there are no damages)?

Thank you,
LEIP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 09:43 AM

625 posts, read 2,050,271 times
Hmm, I'm with you and would think that painting is normal for the landlord to cover. I was a renter for about 8 years and lived in several different places and never had to pay for painting when moving in, nor was it ever taken out of my security deposit when moving out. I now actually own rental property and repainting and cleaning the carpets is a cost that I cover when a tenant moves out.

You'll probably want to check with an attorney for the actual legal perspective. Did it say in your lease what would constitute a withholding of funds from your security deposit?

Old 05-17-2009, 11:22 AM

The lease did not make any specifications for what would constitute withholding of funds.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:16 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,931 times
I'm with Amy on this one. I've never had painting taken out of a security deposit.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:27 AM

I found this website:

DOB: Rental Security Deposits - Information for Tenants and Landlords

Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,616 times
Painting is normal wear and tear, as long as you did not damage the walls. The landlord can not charge you for it. After you move out he has to give you and itemized list, and if he does charge you send a certified letter explaining that he owes you back that money. Make sure everything is in writing. And in case you have to go to court take pictures.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
Painting is normal wear and tear, as long as you did not damage the walls. The landlord can not charge you for it. After you move out he has to give you and itemized list, and if he does charge you send a certified letter explaining that he owes you back that money. Make sure everything is in writing. And in case you have to go to court take pictures.
Thank you very much for your help.

LEIP

Old 05-18-2009, 03:20 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
Rebecca makes a very good point here to use certified mail. You'll want proof that your landlord received any communication you've sent them, so always use certified mail to maintain a paper trail.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:52 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,744 times
My only question is this (and it is only a question ~ not an attack ~ no angry answers please):
did you paint the place a custom color at all?? or put up lots of nails and/or wall anchors to hold shelves, etc? if so maybe he's thinking he has the right to return it to plain rental white walls with no marks or dings.

I think that painting clean white walls for normal maintenance would be landlord $$, undoing something custom done by the tenant would be out of tenant money, even if you thought it looked pretty.

The reason I ask is I moved into a place once that the old owners left big silver quarter size wall anchors all over the place and had custom colors in the bathroom (dark olive green in a 4*5 room with peeling paint on the ceiling 'cause they never used the fan). They also had lots of chachka shelves and hung their collections of guitars all over the walls with huge mirrors in the hall and kitchen, and the kitchen cabinets were painted a sand textured white and blue. Anyway, although most of it was white ~ the walls were damaged; now this was a purchase I made so I had to suck it up and fix it with lots of ReadyStrip and dry wall patch. But had they been tenants, I would assume they would've had to pay to fix the damage.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
My only question is this (and it is only a question ~ not an attack ~ no angry answers please):
did you paint the place a custom color at all?? or put up lots of nails and/or wall anchors to hold shelves, etc? if so maybe he's thinking he has the right to return it to plain rental white walls with no marks or dings.

I think that painting clean white walls for normal maintenance would be landlord $$, undoing something custom done by the tenant would be out of tenant money, even if you thought it looked pretty.

The reason I ask is I moved into a place once that the old owners left big silver quarter size wall anchors all over the place and had custom colors in the bathroom (dark olive green in a 4*5 room with peeling paint on the ceiling 'cause they never used the fan). They also had lots of chachka shelves and hung their collections of guitars all over the walls with huge mirrors in the hall and kitchen, and the kitchen cabinets were painted a sand textured white and blue. Anyway, although most of it was white ~ the walls were damaged; now this was a purchase I made so I had to suck it up and fix it with lots of ReadyStrip and dry wall patch. But had they been tenants, I would assume they would've had to pay to fix the damage.
In my apartment lease it specifically states that I have to use a certain type of nail for wall hangings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut