Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:23 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

My parents tried living in Florida for a short while and were very disappointed in the people. My mother described FL people as lazier and less educated. Much more trashy people, unfortunately, because FL is a beautiful state, too. FL people are difficult to work with. There is one woman in my department at work, and she moved to FL, but simply could NOT get along with working with FL people. So, she had to call back my company and ask if she could work from home in FL. Sad.

In general, FL has much higher crime rates than CT, as well. Much higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 PM

207 posts, read 452,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsyndicate View Post
Stay in Connecticut, South Florida Is Full Of Scum, Connecticut is Full of Nice Decent People 150 hardworking people for every 1 scum bag, In Florida Its The total opposite 150 Scum Bags For Every 1 Decent Person And The decent Person Will Be totally stuck up and have nothing to do with anyone because of all the scumbags..I Lived In Vernon ct it was fine nice regular decent people maybe not the prettiest but then moved to boca raton... nice people but everyone is stuck up becuse of all the scumbags.. but you figure the average cost of a house is 1,000,000 dollars all the surrounding areas full of scum bags..South Florida Is "*******d" up Connecticut people are great the only downside is the snow..Florida has great enviroment..the downside are the people..
what is your definition of "scumbag"? honest question. Criminal, poverty level, working class, overall negative attitude, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My parents tried living in Florida for a short while and were very disappointed in the people. My mother described FL people as lazier and less educated. Much more trashy people, unfortunately, because FL is a beautiful state, too. FL people are difficult to work with. There is one woman in my department at work, and she moved to FL, but simply could NOT get along with working with FL people. So, she had to call back my company and ask if she could work from home in FL. Sad.

In general, FL has much higher crime rates than CT, as well. Much higher.
IMO Floridians are not lazier. Far from it. Less educated? Yes. The school system is horrible the pay there is horrible compared the cost of living ($12.00 hr is great pay and you can't get a decent apt for under $1k) People can't afford to go to college. I was lucky in the fact that I didn't have to get a job to help my parents pay the mortgage when I was 16. A huge portion of kids do, and go straight to work after graduating high school if they didn't have to quit to get a full time job. FL is like a black hole once you go there it's almost impossible to escape due to the weird pay vs col. and it's mainly because it is a "service economy".

Generally I do agree that there is a larger percentage of rude people (just like anywhere though there are tons of really great people too) I don't miss it one bit though. And the crime rate it is even much worse than what the statistics show.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
($12.00 hr is great pay and you can't get a decent apt for under $1k)
Where are you looking? Someone very close to me lives in West Palm and pays $825 for a 2br luxury condo with a gym and pool just two miles from the beach.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Where are you looking? Someone very close to me lives in West Palm and pays $825 for a 2br luxury condo with a gym and pool just two miles from the beach.
In West Palm in a decent neighborhood? Wow, that's a find unless the market has collapsed further than I thought. I was paying more than that in Orlando back in 1993.

FBAM is from St Pete.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:54 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Stay in CT-Florida is Detroit with Palm Trees-plus the unemployment here is HIGH

Old 09-11-2010, 07:23 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
All I can say is these posts are biased and on the dumb side.As said before not everyone in Ct make's $50,000 a year.Our daughter after working for 15 years in grocery store makes what I made when I retired from telco 22 years ago,many,many in her boat in CT.CT very high cost of living.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:28 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
In West Palm in a decent neighborhood? Wow, that's a find unless the market has collapsed further than I thought. I was paying more than that in Orlando back in 1993.

FBAM is from St Pete.
Yeah actually, in a beautiful neighborhood. It's about a mile from the beach and close to everything. If you were to go there and grab a rental booklet, there are plenty more like it for that price too.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:15 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
All I can say is these posts are biased and on the dumb side.As said before not everyone in Ct make's $50,000 a year.Our daughter after working for 15 years in grocery store makes what I made when I retired from telco 22 years ago,many,many in her boat in CT.CT very high cost of living.
Biased and on the dumb side? Why-Florida is not all wonderful living-the crime is HIGH the unemployment is HIGH and most companies that you work for DO NOT have benefits-(retirement plan, Flexable Spending)-the quality of life is lower if you are "middle class." So when someone on this forum asks, I will tell-maybe in the future Florida will be a better state to move to but right now? No, this person is better off staying in CT-

Old 09-11-2010, 11:55 AM

207 posts, read 452,759 times
Quote:
As JV said I am from St. Pete. I have only been to south FL a handfull of times so I can't speak on the market there. But I am only speaking on my first hand experience. One huge difference is the "type" of people that are allowed to move in to an apt complex. you can find an Apt there and be move in the next day. here they are much more thorough with background checks. I was told it has to do with "squatter laws" and the eviction process in CT.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:16 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
As JV said I am from St. Pete. I have only been to south FL a handfull of times so I can't speak on the market there. But I am only speaking on my first hand experience. One huge difference is the "type" of people that are allowed to move in to an apt complex. you can find an Apt there and be move in the next day. here they are much more thorough with background checks. I was told it has to do with "squatter laws" and the eviction process in CT.
You mean like when I moved into a "beautiful" complex with a pool etc and had my car window smashed in and ransacked, and just about every piece of clothing I owned stolen from the laundry area in the first month? Yea that was fun. Then having my girlfiends car broken into and the nice new high end stereo system I custom installed ripped out one night annnnd the two lesbians upstairs having gigantic parties two or three times a week etc etc. Apt living in FL "on the cheap" brings a whoooole host of other issues. You want a nice place in a nice area, in my experience you pay for it and the rates are not THAT much different than here.

Yes crime happens everywhere, but FL to me has a different vibe in that regard and is also soooo transient.

Quote:
Yeah actually, in a beautiful neighborhood. It's about a mile from the beach and close to everything. If you were to go there and grab a rental booklet, there are plenty more like it for that price too.
I've spent a fair amount of time in West Palm up till about 3 years ago...Palm Beach is one of my favorite places. I know this about WP, it's much like Hartford in that areas are localized. You can go two blocks and be in a very not so good area. In fact, I dare to say that along the coast there are not many good areas at all. Seems to be changing a bit as the real estate wave moves North from SE Florida but that's really it in a nutshell. Don't believe the magazines as proof of anything, it's much like you say about looking at houses online. It aint what it appears to be. The DT is great and some of the new "lifestyle" centers like Evergreen have given the area a boost, but again - go a few blocks North and you are buying crack.

Last edited by JViello; 09-11-2010 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut