Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,306,325 times

Advertisements

So with two and a half weeks to go until we all waste about 10 minutes of our day by voting for bums, I'll start a thread for all the major races - rather than having the McMahon/Blumenthal one get hijacked every time someone brings up another race.

So, here's the table of every major statewide race, and the five US House races. I included the important 3rd party and independent candidates.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr143/ironbutterfly229/ctelection2010.png (broken link)
^ Note for mods: above table I made and uploaded on my Photobucket acct

So, is anyone out there seriously considering a 3rd party or independent candidate? I'd really like to hear who and why. Some are fringe, some have a level of sanity worth paying attention to. Then again, the same can be said about the Repubs and Dems too.

Last edited by Lowerdeck; 10-15-2010 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: the swear filter is wicked picky...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
I am pleased to see that a Libertarian is running (for House 2). I most identify myself with the Libertarian party, so I will now be voting for Reale. I am an advocate for free markets, low taxes and maximum social freedoms.

With that said, I believe the most important race is the Senate one. It looks like Blumenthal is definitely going to win that one. Pfft.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am pleased to see that a Libertarian is running (for House 2). I most identify myself with the Libertarian party, so I will now be voting for Reale. I am an advocate for free markets, low taxes and maximum social freedoms.

With that said, I believe the most important race is the Senate one. It looks like Blumenthal is definitely going to win that one. Pfft.
Believe it or not, I think the governor's race has more impact on our day-to-day lives. I think people may be less concerned about that race because we have two reasonably qualified and solid candidates.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Believe it or not, I think the governor's race has more impact on our day-to-day lives. I think people may be less concerned about that race because we have two reasonably qualified and solid candidates.
Well, what I meant was that it seems that most people in CT are talking about the Senate race more than any other race in CT. What I would like to know, however, is why the amount of yard signs don't reconcile with the latest polls. For example, for every Blumenthal yard sign, there are literally about 500 Linda signs out there. Yet, in the polls, Blumenthal now has a 9 point lead (according to Real Clear Politics, 10/15). How is this happening? Are people afraid to admit that they are pro-Blumenthal?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:38 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,667 times
Nep, take a drive through Stamford; almost every single sign is for Blumenthal. In Greenwich, signs are about split down the middle for Linda and Dick.

Mlassoff, I agree that the Governor position is much more important than the Senator position because it has a much larger effect on our day-to-day lives. I haven't made up my mind yet about who to vote for Governor. I tend to lean toward the independent parties so I will probably vote for Tom Marsh. I like his viewpoint that we shouldn't have a ton of taxes going into general funds, we should fire a lot of state employees, and he's the First Selectman of Chesire (since I really like Chester.)

Lowerdeck, I would vote for the Libertarian in "House 2" in a heartbeat if I could. Unfortunately I'm stuck with House 4. Boo.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Nep, take a drive through Stamford; almost every single sign is for Blumenthal. In Greenwich, signs are about split down the middle for Linda and Dick.

Mlassoff, I agree that the Governor position is much more important than the Senator position because it has a much larger effect on our day-to-day lives. I haven't made up my mind yet about who to vote for Governor. I tend to lean toward the independent parties so I will probably vote for Tom Marsh. I like his viewpoint that we shouldn't have a ton of taxes going into general funds, we should fire a lot of state employees, and he's the First Selectman of Chesire (since I really like Chester.)

Lowerdeck, I would vote for the Libertarian in "House 2" in a heartbeat if I could. Unfortunately I'm stuck with House 4. Boo.
Really? Well the rest of CT is covered in Linda signs at a ratio of about 500:1. The only Blumenthal yard signs I have ever seen are in Simsbury. Stamford/Greenwich must be quite different then.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,760,577 times
We had this same discussion two years ago regarding the correlation of signs for the Presidential candidates to the polls. Some argue that Mc Cain was going to win hands-down as a result. In my town, some yards have two or three signs for the same candidate. I don't know how this helps any.

In Cheshire, the signs are close to 50/50 for Blumenthal/Mc Mahon.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:57 PM

220 posts, read 525,405 times
Quote:
Well, what I meant was that it seems that most people in CT are talking about the Senate race more than any other race in CT. What I would like to know, however, is why the amount of yard signs don't reconcile with the latest polls. For example, for every Blumenthal yard sign, there are literally about 500 Linda signs out there. Yet, in the polls, Blumenthal now has a 9 point lead (according to Real Clear Politics, 10/15). How is this happening? Are people afraid to admit that they are pro-Blumenthal?
I support Blumenthal, but a) don't own a house and wouldn't consider putting a sign out front in a yard that doesn't belong to me and b) personally feel that yard signs are a little tacky - even if I owned a house I probably wouldn't display one.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:59 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
Well the rest of CT is covered in Linda signs at a ratio of about 500:1.
500:1? Wow. I guess everyone needs to cling to hope.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:51 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,306,325 times
More Republicans are willing to put up the lawn signs. The Democrats just show up at the polls. My uncle for example put up a sign on my parents front lawn for the State Rep. candidate here, even though my father has no idea who the guy is (besides Republican, which is the important thing to him) and my mother can't tell you which side is left wing and which side is right wing.

Dan Reale is a legit libertarian. He supported Ron Paul back in 2008, so he's not a fake (expletive) Tea Party type supported by rich cronies. And hey, considering the Republicans picked Peckinpaugh over Novak in the primary - you might as well pick someone more legitimate. Not like Peckinpaugh has a chance anyway. Like in the Senate race, the better person lost Aug. 10th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut