Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 28,075 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering how I can view old pictures of good old Stamford from the 1960's through the early 70's. I tried doing a Google Search but cannot seem to find any. Perhaps the Stamford Historical Society would be of help. I have pleasant memories of Stamford in my early youth and the pictures would bring back the good old times. Does anyone out there remember Stamford back then? I remember the old Ridgeway Center that had the Penn Drug with the old-fashioned lunch counter and Sears Roebuck and Gimbells and the Grand Central Market, plus there was another shopping center one block north that had a Grand Union, cottage bakery, Mayflower Deli and County Appliances before they moved out of there. Shippan had an amusement park, duckpin bowling alley, JoAnn's Drive-in hamburger joint, and the Starlight Drive-In plus Tony's hotdogs and hamburgers. Downtown Stamford had Greenbergs clothing store, CO Millers, and there was an Italian Deli also right on Atlantic Street. Plus old tenament houses where all the corporate buildings are. May do I miss old time Stamford... Let me know if anyone remembers.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 06:35 AM

418 posts, read 1,410,341 times
Stamford Historical Society definitely has those photos. Last fall, there was a temporary exhibit downtown that showed many photos of "old Stamford" from the 50s-80s. It's too bad the exhibit was only temporary.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:07 PM

8 posts, read 57,021 times
Default I remember Stamford CT in the 1960's and 1970's

I remember it vividly and would love to share those memories with others as well.

Bob
bob.devito@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets1962 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering how I can view old pictures of good old Stamford from the 1960's through the early 70's. I tried doing a Google Search but cannot seem to find any. Perhaps the Stamford Historical Society would be of help. I have pleasant memories of Stamford in my early youth and the pictures would bring back the good old times. Does anyone out there remember Stamford back then? I remember the old Ridgeway Center that had the Penn Drug with the old-fashioned lunch counter and Sears Roebuck and Gimbells and the Grand Central Market, plus there was another shopping center one block north that had a Grand Union, cottage bakery, Mayflower Deli and County Appliances before they moved out of there. Shippan had an amusement park, duckpin bowling alley, JoAnn's Drive-in hamburger joint, and the Starlight Drive-In plus Tony's hotdogs and hamburgers. Downtown Stamford had Greenbergs clothing store, CO Millers, and there was an Italian Deli also right on Atlantic Street. Plus old tenament houses where all the corporate buildings are. May do I miss old time Stamford... Let me know if anyone remembers.....

Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 17,562 times
I grew up on the Westside of Stamford ,played little league baseball for Mickey Lione during the latter part of the 50's. Friday nights we would attend the movies at The Stamford Boys Club for fifteen cents and watch Tarzan movies featuring Johnny Wiesmiller. Wonderful resturants including Lazy's, Open Door, Brass Rail,Pelices(?). Jerry's Pastry Shop and Sallys across the bridge on the left. My first job when I was a little boy was sweeping the floor at Jerry's Barber Shop for .75 and a meatball wedge from the Brass Rail next door. I remember an old coke machine with its handle on the side, cokes were a nickel, a Marilyn Monroe calender hanging in the waiting room. So many wonderful memories!

Old 09-11-2016, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 8,545 times
My family moved to Stamford in 1948 from New Jersey. I was 4 years old. We move into the then-new Fairlawn Garden Apartments, occupying a 2nd floor at 1095 Main Street (Old Post Road). Kindergarten at Glenbrook School, then I was moved to Stark School for 1st and 2nd. After that my parents bought a 3 bedroom cape on Pellom Place in the Hubbard Heights area when i was 8. Grades 3, 4, 5 & 6 at Hart School on Adams Avenue...walked through what was Woodside Park to get to school. Jr. High at Budick and finally SHS class of '61 after which I attended UCONN.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:20 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
There is a Facebook page named "If you're really from Stamford (CT) you'd know....." and you need to join it. There are lots of pics and stories from the 60's and 70's.

There is a really great Youtube video of the Westside in the 50's thru the 70's with Pink Floyd music but I can't find it. I have to message my Pellicci cousins to find it and I will post it.

Last edited by CTartist; 09-12-2016 at 06:30 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,542 times
Loved Stamford back in the 60's. I was born in 1958 at St. Joseph's Hospital. Today it's the Tully Center. We lived at the Hampshire house apartments right next door. Hampshire house is still there today. My dad was Superintendent when we lived there. Also lived at the apartments on Bracewood Ln. off Bedford Street. My dad was Superintendent also when we lived there. Today they're Chesterfield condo/town houses with the address as Bedford St. Went to Franklin Street School Elementary. Today it's still there, but is a shelter I believe, no longer a school.

My parents, as well as my siblings were all born in Stamford. My parents attended/graduated Stamford High School. My grandparents came from Europe to Ellis Island. My grandparents met here as young adults. My family moved to another town in CT in 1969 approximately for work purposes for my dad.

I loved Stamford back then. Remember the Ridgeway shopping center. Grand Central supermarket, Penn Drug store, Syl

Old 08-12-2017, 08:56 PM

1,155 posts, read 961,676 times
Some historical photos of Shippan Point, my old stomping grounds. Fun times. My family lived a stone's throw from The Roosevelt School, which I did not attend. Instead, I and my brothers and sisters attended Our Lady Star of the Sea before we unfortunately had to move away from Stamford.

Historical Photos | Shippan Point

Old 08-13-2017, 03:15 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I really enjoyed those photos of Shippan Point. Even when it was a small farming community, Shippan Point had style and grace.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,924 times
Does anyone remember a business called "Budelman Electric?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut