Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 14,390 times

Advertisements

I have a decision to make and I must make it quickly. It's going to cost me about $2000 to replace my basement oil tank because of a pin hole leak and my heating contractor told me that he could convert my Weil Mclain oil furnace to gas for about the same price. Right now my dryer and my kitchen stove are both run by electric and I'm wondering if anyone who has converted recently has seen significant savings on their electric bill due to converting their dryer and stove to gas. I'm trying to weigh my options and I think that most of the time oil vs gas for heat and hot water is somewhat of a wash but if I can make significant savings on my electric bill it might be worth the switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 03:04 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,762 times
You could convert just the furnace to gas and leave your other appliances as is. I have gas here, but I use an electric stove and dryer because I prefer that. Only the furnace and hot water run on the gas.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:25 PM

well, I'm thinking that I probably spend a significant amount of my electric bill on my dryer and stove and that converting them to gas would offer me enough of a savings that it would make the decision a no brainer. Just looking for a little confirmation since I have no idea how much I spend each month on cooking and drying my clothes.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:24 PM

786 posts, read 3,926,396 times
Do you mean propane gas or natural gas?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:26 PM

natural gas

Old 08-06-2009, 04:59 PM

786 posts, read 3,926,396 times
Ok, that makes sense. I would guess you would save money, not to mention I think gas dryers and stoves are much more efficient, but sorry can't help you with amounts.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Without getting into the safety concerns of each I'll let you know that you would save an average of $40 a month for switching the dryer and stove to gas. It all depends how much you use both! So by the time you re-coupe your costs would be close to 3-4yrs.

Question for you is...Does it cost anything to run the line from street to the house?? And whats the cost to run the gas lines to stove and dryer. It'll be more than a $2000 job total between boiler and lines.

My electric bill is under $125 in the summer with central a/c kicking and electric stove and dryer. I can't imagine you saving more than $40/mth to switch over.

So if you plan on being there more than 3 yrs, do it. If not...just replace the oil tanks. Sucks I know. Get a wood stove so the oil doesn't drain out as much in the winter..

And keep in mind...Fridge ~ A/C ~ dehumidifer ~ 50" Tv's ~ desktop computers ~ incadescent bulbs...all will run up your electric bill more than a dryer being used twice a week!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:48 PM

thanks nature27, the gas company would run the line from my street to the house for free but the rest of the gas line throughout the house I would have to pay for. If I wanted to run one to my boiler, stove and dryer how much should that run me?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:12 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truspark View Post
thanks nature27, the gas company would run the line from my street to the house for free but the rest of the gas line throughout the house I would have to pay for. If I wanted to run one to my boiler, stove and dryer how much should that run me?
Not a plumber...dont know. But the cost to install vs savings is not worth it....unless...like I said you stay more than 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut