Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:58 AM

173 posts, read 351,661 times

Advertisements

Have tried both. Pho Mai was the worst Pho I've had in the area - the tripe was gamy, the broth unflavorful. I love CN station, and the man and woman who run it are hysterical: the woman in particular is this great combination of overbearing and truly concerned that you have a good meal. The thing about CN Station, though, is that it's kind of pan-Asian: the best dishes I've had there were their Ma-Po Tofu (which was excellent) and their stir-fried rice cakes with beef (also excellent). I'm not entirely sure whether their culinary background is Sichuanese, Hunanese or Vietnamese, but I've enjoyed everything. At Vietnam Palace, the husband and wife are Vietnamese, and the husband does much of the cooking and delights in recommending special dishes to patrons. I loved their Pho - I thought it was rich and beefy and aromatic with star anise: I'm sorry others haven't felt the same.

As for the Danbury place, I've read that it's very good but haven't been there yet. Stay tuned...

Old 08-22-2013, 06:01 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Re: Pho Saigon and CN Station. These places are absolutely located in sketchy neighborhoods. Perhaps if one is of Vietnamese/Japanese/Hispanic/etc. descent they will fit in better.

Long story short, out of the 3 Viet places in Bridgeport, a "typical" CT suburbanite would only find the area surrounding Pho Mai to be "fair".

Old 08-23-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Re: Pho Saigon and CN Station. These places are absolutely located in sketchy neighborhoods. Perhaps if one is of Vietnamese/Japanese/Hispanic/etc. descent they will fit in better.

Long story short, out of the 3 Viet places in Bridgeport, a "typical" CT suburbanite would only find the area surrounding Pho Mai to be "fair".
And it's comments like this that help keep it "sketchy," if that's how you'd characterize it. You're entitled to your opinion.

Last edited by JayCT; 08-23-2013 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Removed flame

Old 08-23-2013, 05:56 AM

399 posts, read 850,734 times
Quote:

Wow. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself.

Last edited by JayCT; 08-23-2013 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Removed Flame

Old 08-23-2013, 02:17 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:

Pho Saigon is not in the best neighborhood in town, but, I certainly don't mind going there. It's damn good food. I see people of all different races in the restaurant-- Hispanic, Vietnamese and even African Americans! They all seem to be (surprise!) eating!

Outside the restaurant, unless you're strolling around the neighborhood talking to strangers, the people really should be of no concern.

Unless you can show me some Death by Pho stories in the Connecticut Post, I'll just assume you're paranoid.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:28 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
I don't mind the Pho Saigon area. Not attractive, but I spent a few months going there consistently for a side project and it was fine.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
And it's comments like this that help keep it "sketchy," if that's how you'd characterize it. You're entitled to your opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_f View Post
Wow. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Pho Saigon is not in the best neighborhood in town, but, I certainly don't mind going there. It's damn good food. I see people of all different races in the restaurant-- Hispanic, Vietnamese and even African Americans! They all seem to be (surprise!) eating!

Outside the restaurant, unless you're strolling around the neighborhood talking to strangers, the people really should be of no concern.

Unless you can show me some Death by Pho stories in the Connecticut Post, I'll just assume you're paranoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I don't mind the Pho Saigon area. Not attractive, but I spent a few months going there consistently for a side project and it was fine.
To each their own. As a lifelong resident of this general area, i'll very comfortably stand behind my statement regarding the neighborhoods where Pho Saigon and CN Station are located. Politically correct or not.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 08-23-2013 at 04:32 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

CT Post eh? Do you remember that innocent little boy B.J. Brown? The 8 year-old boy that a drug dealer had executed so that he wouldn't testify against him. That drug dealer had a selling operation on Iranistan Avenue at the time. And no, the neighborhood has not improved in the intervening 15 years. It has remained static or declined a bit since.

The murderous saga of Russell Peeler - Connecticut Post

If you're a bit scared right now, great.

If you're shaking your head saying that i'm paranoid or a racist, well, i wish you luck during your travels in the neighborhood.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:07 AM

Stay in Stratford.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
Stay in Stratford.
There are areas of Stratford that i would avoid walking around in the evening hours. It's not that i'm scared or paranoid, i just have common sense about these things.

But as i stated to someone else in this thread, best wishes to you on your journeys through the cesspools of various cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut