Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:35 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a good Vietnamese restaurants in the Bridgeport/New Haven area that serves Bahn Mi (Vietnamese Sandwiches)? I had one a week ago in Manhattan and I'm addicted. Pickled vegetables, Pork and some kind of sauce that is to die for.

If anyone has a lead on a place let me know. I live in Black Rock in Bridgeport (close to the Fairfield) and would love to find something close by or fairly close...

Old 09-27-2009, 06:28 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
The family run place here in Manchester does the very same, I wish I knew about your parts, but I don't. Sorry.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Anyone know of a good Vietnamese restaurants in the Bridgeport/New Haven area that serves Bahn Mi (Vietnamese Sandwiches)? I had one a week ago in Manhattan and I'm addicted. Pickled vegetables, Pork and some kind of sauce that is to die for.

If anyone has a lead on a place let me know. I live in Black Rock in Bridgeport (close to the Fairfield) and would love to find something close by or fairly close...
If you had stayed in Austin, you would have your pick between Lily's Sandwich, Thanh Nhi, Baguette House, Tam Deli and Cafe de Bella for banh mi. But I guess the grass is always greener.

It looks like the Hartford area is your best bet.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
If you had stayed in Austin, you would have your pick between Lily's Sandwich, Thanh Nhi, Baguette House, Tam Deli and Cafe de Bella for banh mi. But I guess the grass is always greener.

It looks like the Hartford area is your best bet.
As disappointed as you'll probably be, I'm not regretting my decision to move to Connecticut due to the dearth of Vietnamese Sandwiches.

The quality of the people, the lifestyle, the food overall, the weather, the presence of a beach and ocean, being close to my family and old friends, public transportation, the political moderation, the schools, quality of the local media, the recreational opportunities, and my level of comfort far outweigh the inability to conveniently find bahn mi.

And, by the way, since it rains here, and there isn't a record setting drought, the grass really is greener.

Nice try though.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
You must have lost your ability to detect sarcasm after so many years in Texas.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:31 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Can someone describe Vietnamese food for me???

I love all types of different foods but I have never had Vietnamese before...I am thinking I may have to try it soon...

What is a typical dinner entree??

Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM

I'm no expert, but the Vietnamese food I have had has fallen in to three categories:

1) You have Pho Noodle Soup. Usually a beefy broth with lots of vermicelli and meats (some you've heard of, some you haven't...Tendons and Bible Tripe are popular), vegetables served in a big bowl. A cheap and quite good lunch.

2) Bahn Mi-- Vietnamese sandwiches with roast pork, pickled vegetables and some type of mayonnaise sauce that is to die for. Bahn Mi comes in a number of varieties and is a delicious, addicive item. Always served on a baguette, the textures alone make the food interesting.

3) Vermicelli bowls. Like Pho, but no broth, and usually include meat , seafood, egg rolls, etc...

I have also seen rice plates which are similar to the vermicelli bowls, but come inexplicably with a fried egg on top. Never tried that...

Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Can someone describe Vietnamese food for me???

I love all types of different foods but I have never had Vietnamese before...I am thinking I may have to try it soon...

What is a typical dinner entree??
In simple to me it's like a mix between Thai and most (real) Chinese. But it has it's own tastes and creations.

I think the Vietnamese do Lemon Grass better. JMO.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:41 PM

60 posts, read 220,991 times
To the OP, you might want to try posting something on the New England board at Chowhound. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,317 times
They sell them @ the Oriental Market 320 Coleman Street Bridgeport, CT. That is the only place around here that i know of, unless you travel to Hartford or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut