Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 11,748 times

Advertisements

So my neighbor has decided to repave their driveway and in the process, they are going over my property line. It's just a couple of feet and I really don't mind that but am wondering if once they "take it over" is it still mine or have I forfeited it since I allowed them to pave on it? And if it does remain mine, would I be liable for anything that happens on that portion of the driveway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,171 times
I would strongly advise telling him to cease and desist or get an attorney. It will affect your property's lot and would probably require an easment.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,430,619 times
I would NOT allow it to happen.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Be nice, but firm. GET IT TAKEN CARE OF.

One simple reason could be when you sell your home, there is a boundary dispute. Yep.

I had something similar happen. Not only did they totally disrespect my property, they got "sh*tty" about it when I went to them hat in hand.

I had a client who is an consultant for various attorney's who practice this law almost slap me in the head when I asked "should I bother".

Did I mention my "nice" neighbor pastors a non denom church?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:27 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
You pay for your land and the property on it. Unless you sell or give a peice of property away whether 2 feet or 200 feet of it, the decision needs to be made by you and only you.

Couple choices:
1. Have your neighbor do a survey before you call the lawyer.
2. Chop up the driveway on your property(you have every right)
3. Tell you neighbor you'll sell him that piece of land for $1000. LOL
4. Sit back and enjoy it but make sure it doesn't spread over the years. Pretty soon a fence would go up. lol

Let me know if you need an attorney. I know a good one who does these types of cases. One was for Judge Judy.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:06 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmboost View Post
So my neighbor has decided to repave their driveway and in the process, they are going over my property line. It's just a couple of feet and I really don't mind that but am wondering if once they "take it over" is it still mine or have I forfeited it since I allowed them to pave on it? And if it does remain mine, would I be liable for anything that happens on that portion of the driveway?
If they maintain it for 25 years then it becomes theirs. Until then, you are liable. Their driveway is that close to your property line? Very unusual as there are codes builders are to follow to avoid this scenario. Make sure you know for certain where your property is. I would suggest having a survey done.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Their driveway is that close to your property line? Very unusual as there are codes builders are to follow to avoid this scenario. Make sure you know for certain where your property is. I would suggest having a survey done.
Really? Is that just a CT code? I live in NJ and my driveway directly touches the stone wall dividing my property and my neighbor's property (he owns the wall). There is not even a centimeter between his property and my driveway.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,756,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Really? Is that just a Conn. code? I live in N.J. and my driveway directly touches the stone wall dividing my property and my neighbor's property (he owns the wall). There is not even a centimeter between his property and my driveway.
Each town establishes setbacks (distances from property line) for houses, sheds, trees, driveways, etc, for new development/construction. Older properties are often grandfathered.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:43 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,145 times
Consult your local city planning department. With some research you can figure out the best way to protect both your interest. Be nice, offer to sell the piece of property to neighbor, or he can rent it? Have a survey done to be sure the property line is correct. Don't just be nice and allow him do it. There are legal ramifications you and he need to be aware of.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:14 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
25 years, hunh? Adverse possession - which is what this is - doesn't require 25 years.

Quote:
"adverse possession is a principle of real estate law whereby somebody who possesses the land of another for an extended period of time may be able to claim legal title to that land. The exact elements of an adverse possession claim may be different in each state.
to prove adverse possession under a typical definition, the person claiming ownership through adverse possession must show that its possession is actual, open, notorious, exclusive, hostile, under cover of claim or right, and continuous and uninterrupted for the statutory period. These terms have special legal meanings as legal "terms of art", meaning that their definition for purposes of adverse possession law may be different from a definition you would find in a standard dictionary."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut