Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 9,770 times

Advertisements

IM CURRENTLY LIVE IN GROTON, BUT JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHY IN THE STATE PIER RD, CRYSTAL AVE AREA OF NEW LONDON THERE'S A WHOLE BUNCH OF ABANDONED AND UNUSED WAREHOUSES AND OLD BUILDINGS , THEY BEEN THERE FOR YEARS??????? THEY SHOULD CONVERT THEM TO LIKE CONDOS, HAIR SALONS, FAST FOOD PLACES, OR SOMETHING, IT JUST LOOKS DEAD AROUND THERE. I KNOW ITS NOT THE GREATEST AREA TO PUT THOSE THINGS BUT C'MON...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 12:04 PM

181 posts, read 557,539 times
Crystal avenue is... well Crystal avenue. That is easily one of the most crime ridden streets in New London. I think it definitely could be improved and upgraded, but the amount of money and effort that would have to be invested in order to make any development in that area feasible is far more than the short returns, especially if other investors do not develop in that area. New London is definitely undergoing a fairly extensive urban renewal, however it will definitely consume all of the nicest, and most central neighborhoods before it really begins to affect the surrounding, less desirable areas.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,770 times
yeah i know what you mean... at least take them down or something, it just makes it seem like since those abandoned warehouses are there they dont care much about the people living there either...

Old 10-18-2009, 04:59 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sguy View Post
IM CURRENTLY LIVE IN GROTON, BUT JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHY IN THE STATE PIER RD, CRYSTAL AVE AREA OF NEW LONDON THERE'S A WHOLE BUNCH OF ABANDONED AND UNUSED WAREHOUSES AND OLD BUILDINGS , THEY BEEN THERE FOR YEARS??????? THEY SHOULD CONVERT THEM TO LIKE CONDOS, HAIR SALONS, FAST FOOD PLACES, OR SOMETHING, IT JUST LOOKS DEAD AROUND THERE. I KNOW ITS NOT THE GREATEST AREA TO PUT THOSE THINGS BUT C'MON...
Who is "they"? If you had large sums of money to invest, would you put it in to building a condo on Crystal Ave or opening a new strip mall? People sink money in to impoverished neighborhoods to exploit the current residents and make a buck, not to gentrify the area. opening a package store or a place to cash checks is far more likely than somebody spending money on revitlization.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sguy View Post
yeah i know what you mean... at least take them down or something, it just makes it seem like since those abandoned warehouses are there they dont care much about the people living there either...
I think more appropriately: Why would you take them down? I mean look at it from the stand point of the people that own those warehouses, they don't really have any sort of good reason to tear them down. It would be expensive, and they couldn't make any money off of the property once they do that anyways. Also looking at the long term, with the revitalization of economic activity in New London, the port is beginning to see more activity, and as the port activity picks up, the demand for warehouse space will also pick up.

I agree that it would be great to see the area pick up, either with new development or new use of the old development. It would probably do a lot to help decrease crime in the area as well as provide an anode to spark development in the area between Crystal Avenue and State Street. Unfortunately most developers are not in the business to help disadvantaged neighborhoods, but rather to make money, and that area is not an instant win.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:07 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
There just has to be the income base to support that kind of development. I don't think the area supports it.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
IIRC Did New London force someone out of their house so a connected developer could build some upscale housing? Why not the warehouse district?

Old 11-03-2009, 09:59 AM

New London pulled eminent domain near Fort Trumbull and Pfizer to gentrify the area and keep Pfizer in town so they could save thousands of jobs. The decision is of course controversial but it wasn't just some whimsical action so some developer could build there. And on top of that there would still need to be a developer interested in that area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut