Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:48 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,609 times

Advertisements

I don't get it.
The leftists have this special animosity against Joe. They think he owes them something. Why?
In 2006, when he was a totally loyal Democrat on domestic issues, with a long liberal voting record, the left wing of the party moved heaven and earth to defeat him. They kicked him out of the party, poured millions into the coffers of the puny, far-leftist opponent who they chose as their nominee, and brought the national heavy hitters into Conn. to campaign against him.
Joe put together a broad bi-partisan coalition of centrists and independents and moderate Democrats and Republicans. He defeated the leftists in a landslide!
And now THEY call HIM a traitor?? He owes them NOTHING.

Go Joe!

Last edited by lamontnow; 12-15-2009 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
If you're defending him, why would you go with a name like "Lamontnow"?

I used to like his "independent streak" and still wish more politicians were that way....I mean why can't you be liberal on some things and conservative on others (I'm not saying you * HAVE * to be, but why can't you be?). What turns me off to him now (and I'm more a moderate "center-left" than tried-and-true "leftist" for the matter) is that if he's going to be that way he can't then beg his own party to get a chairmanship back after supporting the presidential candidate of the opposing party and then turn his back completely again on the colleagues who "saved" him. I don't personally object to his support of McCain (in fact the McCain of 2000 was a lot like Lieberman and I might have even voted for him had he not both picked Palin and gone way further "rightward" in the last 2 years than he was in the previous 6.....personally he should've made Lieberman his running mate as he originally intended to and stood his ground on his "moderate" conservatism and let the people decide, but that's another story), but I object that when he supports the losing candidate and the party of the winning candidate controls Congress he begs "for forgiveness" simply for his own political gain and then sticks it back to them again later. If he is really in the opposition and truly "independent" he should've taken it like a man and given up the chairmanship. For example, imagine Judd Gregg having accepted Obama's offer to be Commerce Secretary and then disagreeing 100% on all policy. That is just wrong and although I don't agree with many of Gregg's politics I at least admire that he had the kahunas to stand his ground on what he believes in.

If it weren't for his groveling to get his chairmanship (Homeland Security) back I'd agree with the OP a lot more......

Old 12-15-2009, 12:32 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
The only reason he defeated Lamont was because the Republicans ran a joke of a candidate, one that didn't even get any public support from state Republicans.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:32 PM

361 posts, read 385,803 times
Why doesn't Senator Lieberman simply go down to the registrar's office at the city hall and register as a Republican? Then maybe he can speak to us honestly.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but in my neighborhood when a man betrays the people who trusted him and provided his position of power we call it something different then "going one's own way."

Old 12-15-2009, 01:45 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Old 12-15-2009, 06:14 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
I kept forgiving Joe until only recently. He keeps moving the target on health reform disagreeing to aspects he found agreeable only a week or two earlier. It seems he is doing this only to make use of his virtual veto power by being the 60th vote in the Democratic Caucus. His stance on the war I could understand, and forgive even though I disagreed, however, now he not supporting the social causes that would have given him my vote in the first place.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:05 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,764 times
dump loserman

Old 12-15-2009, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,923 times
That's not how it worked at all. Lieberman was meant to be a liberal Democrat but started sounding like a Republican. When he lost the Democratic primary, he ran as an independent (after being supported all these years and being the VP candidate) which split the vote. The Republican candidate was weak and therefore, they supported Lieberman in an attempt to get anyone but a Democrat elected. Lieberman needs to change parties. He no longer talks, walks or behaves like at Democrat and can't be counted on to support the Democratic issues. Can't stand the guy and wish he'd just go away.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 AM

109 posts, read 437,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
I don't get it.
The leftists have this special animosity against Joe. They think he owes them something. Why?
In 2006, when he was a totally loyal Democrat on domestic issues, with a long liberal voting record, the left wing of the party moved heaven and earth to defeat him. They kicked him out of the party, poured millions into the coffers of the puny, far-leftist opponent who they chose as their nominee, and brought the national heavy hitters into Conn. to campaign against him.
Joe put together a broad bi-partisan coalition of centrists and independents and moderate Democrats and Republicans. He defeated the leftists in a landslide!
And now THEY call HIM a traitor?? He owes them NOTHING.

Go Joe!
Joe is a warmonger.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,609 times
The leftists should be ashamed of themselves.
The hysterical left is trying to put pressure on a leading breast cancer research center, the Susan G. Komen Cure, to fire Mrs. Lieberman as a spokeswoman for the organization. here Impotent anger can lead to temper tantrums, but going after a senator’s spouse and by extension disrupting efforts to fight cancer, because you are mad at the senator is less mature than a toddler’s rant. In the age of Obama, many of his supporters are still trying to deal with the idea of dissent.

BTW, I am certainly not right-wing. I think Bush was a terrible president (voted against him in both elections). But this leftist nonsense is shameful. Are there any leftists out there who will even criticize this as inappropriate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut