Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times

Advertisements

In short, many smokers throw their butts out the window for the same reason they smoke in the first place...

Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Pull up to most intersections and what do you see? LOADS of butts litering the ground. Pathetic and disgusting. I don't think I've seen a car without an ashtray? My brand new Ford pickup has one.

The worst is being on a bike, with an open face helmet or no helmet and not catching it in time to dodge.

I think I'll start flinging poo back in return...or at least release a handful of pennies.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:24 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Pull up to most intersections and what do you see? LOADS of butts litering the ground. Pathetic and disgusting. I don't think I've seen a car without an ashtray? My brand new Ford pickup has one.

The worst is being on a bike, with an open face helmet or no helmet and not catching it in time to dodge.

I think I'll start flinging poo back in return...or at least release a handful of pennies.

I'm thinking of saving my old sparkplugs from tuneups and "flicking" those at the peeps that flick butts at me...!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarney04 View Post
ashtrays no longer exist in cars so what are they supposed to do with them? smoking is legal (and cigarettes are degradable) so get over it. pick on the people who throw their non-degradable garbage all over the place
My new 2009 car has an ashtray. I haven't seen car without one. Also, it takes TEN YEARS for a cigarette to "degrade", all the while leaching its toxic substances into the environment. What are you supposed to do with them? How about discarding them properly? Even then they're still a problem. Ever go to the beach? The number one pollution item at beaches is cigarette butts by the thousands. They don't just disappear. People smoke them for 10 minutes and it takes the planet at least ten years to process it.

I saw a retail worker out in front of her place of business toss a butt into the street. I complained and she said, "I tossed it past the curb!" as if the storm drain was her personal garbage bin. Nice lady. That cigarette butt is in the ocean and will be there for several more years along with billions of others. Gee, thanks.

Saying "get over it" is the most irresponsible thing I've read in a long time.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 PM

30 posts, read 103,779 times
I drive a 1999 Olds and it has no ashtray. A small cup with some water might be a good way to put out a smoke (in warmer weather anyway), but trying to properly stamp out a smoke in a regular tray while driving can be a significant distraction. I toss my butts out the window, and I don't care what anybody thinks of it. I always try to give other drivers space when tossing, and I aim low. I'd bet it's more environmentally friendly to leave trash to the elements than to bury it in a landfill anyway. Those butts probably degrade lots faster when left exposed.

Most people who get fussy about this are just judgmental smoker haters who like to feel superior to the smoker. As if they've no flaws of their own. My electric bill is about $40/month. Put at most 5K on the odo annually. I recycle everything I can despite the fact I have to drive it across town, and when smoking outdoors I always 'behead' it and toss the filter in the garbage. I'll bet my overall environmental impact is smaller than 90% of the smoker haters. So don't go getting all judgey on me.

Smokers also put a nice dent in your tax burden and cost the healthcare system less overall. Maybe instead of spanking, you haters should be thanking.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googabee View Post
I drive a 1999 Olds and it has no ashtray. A small cup with some water might be a good way to put out a smoke (in warmer weather anyway), but trying to properly stamp out a smoke in a regular tray while driving can be a significant distraction. I toss my butts out the window, and I don't care what anybody thinks of it.
Large Calibre Black Car Cigarette Ashtray, Free Standard Shipping

Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Most people who get fussy about this are just judgmental smoker haters who like to feel superior to the smoker.
"Haters"? What grade are we in?

It's litering. It's polluting your surroundings. It's illegal. Period.

I would say the same thing about someone throwing a wrapper out the window.

The only items I'm "okay" with is something organic like an apple core etc as it will rot and go back to the earth in no time if a critter doesn't eat it first.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:06 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:

Smokers also put a nice dent in your tax burden and cost the healthcare system less overall. Maybe instead of spanking, you haters should be thanking.
Are you serious? What about all the smokers who get cancer and other illnesses due to smoking, and have no health insurance. Who do you think pays for their healthcare?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 AM

109 posts, read 286,430 times
Why recycle them,I say leave em on the ground so the nazis will have coronaries and we can finally see some real body counts due to second hand butt exposure!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 AM

130 posts, read 362,479 times
[LEFT]"but trying to properly stamp out a smoke in a regular tray while driving can be a significant distraction"

?

Then perhaps you should not smoke and drive at the same time.

[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: