Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:03 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone live in shelton? What is the town like?

Also how far is the drive from New Haven. I might live in NH and commute to Shelton. Is Guilford a long commute to Shelton, mapquest says about 40 minutes.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:23 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Hi,

Does anyone live in shelton? What is the town like?

Also how far is the drive from New Haven. I might live in NH and commute to Shelton. Is Guilford a long commute to Shelton, mapquest says about 40 minutes.

Thanks
I lived in Shelton for awhile, and now commute there from Branford.

Shelton is a mixed bag. You have everything from working class (mostly concentrated in the downtown area) to affluent upper-middle class families (Huntington and White Hills sections). It's a pretty economically diverse community. There are some very good restaurants and a decent bar/pub scene for coworker gatherings/happy hours.

The commute from New Haven isn't too bad. I leave early from Branford so I don't hit traffic over the Q Bridge. On the way, I usually take 95 to Milford, hit the connector to the Merritt and get off at RT 110 (where Sikorsky is). On the way home, since it's during peak traffic time, I take RT 8 North to 34 East into New Haven. That can be a pain sometimes because of the lights, but it's much better than sitting in traffic along 95 in West Haven and New Haven.

Without traffic, it takes me about 35 minutes from Branford to Shelton. With traffic, well...you know the deal.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:33 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Shelton is a mixed bag. You have everything from working class (mostly concentrated in the downtown area) to affluent upper-middle class families (Huntington and White Hills sections). It's a pretty economically diverse community.
The majority of the "affordable" neighborhoods are those that are to the east of Rt.8. There are some small pockets immediately west of Rt.8, but once you get about a quarter mile from 8, there isn't really much that's "affordable".

Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The majority of the "affordable" neighborhoods are those that are to the east of Rt.8. There are some small pockets immediately west of Rt.8, but once you get about a quarter mile from 8, there isn't really much that's "affordable".
I'm not sure the OP is looking for "affordable" housing, but yes, downtown is about as affordable as Shelton gets (next to Derby).

Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I lived in Shelton for awhile, and now commute there from Branford.

Shelton is a mixed bag. You have everything from working class (mostly concentrated in the downtown area) to affluent upper-middle class families (Huntington and White Hills sections). It's a pretty economically diverse community. There are some very good restaurants and a decent bar/pub scene for coworker gatherings/happy hours.

The commute from New Haven isn't too bad. I leave early from Branford so I don't hit traffic over the Q Bridge. On the way, I usually take 95 to Milford, hit the connector to the Merritt and get off at RT 110 (where Sikorsky is). On the way home, since it's during peak traffic time, I take RT 8 North to 34 East into New Haven. That can be a pain sometimes because of the lights, but it's much better than sitting in traffic along 95 in West Haven and New Haven.

Without traffic, it takes me about 35 minutes from Branford to Shelton. With traffic, well...you know the deal.
Are there a lot of apartments in Branford? That seems like a nice town.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Are there a lot of apartments in Branford? That seems like a nice town.
There are quite a few in the Main Street area (Hillside Ave) and some along neighborhoods of RT 1. I know someone who lives in an apartment within walking distance to downtown, and it's a great location. There are also some new condos near the train station (they may be 55+ though, I'm not sure). Generally the closer you get to the water, the more single family properties you'll find.

It's a great town. We certainly did not have to settle for anything when we moved here.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
As already mentioned, only issue with commuting from Branford or Guilford is that Q Bridge during certain times of day.

But besides parts of Shelton itself, there's probably some affordable (if that's what you're looking for) places that are closer to Shelton than Branford or Guilford. It's going west deeper into Fairfield County towards NY where it gets ridiculously expensive. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:01 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
As already mentioned, only issue with commuting from Branford or Guilford is that Q Bridge during certain times of day.

But besides parts of Shelton itself, there's probably some affordable (if that's what you're looking for) places that are closer to Shelton than Branford or Guilford. It's going west deeper into Fairfield County towards NY where it gets ridiculously expensive. Good luck!
I agree. I know Kidyankee bought in Branford (which is a great town) because I believe he found a good deal, but I am not sure I would commute from there to Shelton unless I had a good reason. Traffic through New Haven is a nightmare and I would avoid it. Living in New Haven would not be bad. I would also consider West Haven (if schools are not important), Milford and Stratford. Shelton too would be good. Jay

Old 01-25-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. I know Kidyankee bought in Branford (which is a great town) because I believe he found a good deal, but I am not sure I would commute from there to Shelton unless I had a good reason. Traffic through New Haven is a nightmare and I would avoid it. Living in New Haven would not be bad. I would also consider West Haven (if schools are not important), Milford and Stratford. Shelton too would be good. Jay
I agree with living in Shelton itself, although it will be more expensive than Branford, West Haven and maybe even Milford. As SCR said, there is not much affordable in Shelton.

Branford was great for us because it's exactly halfway between both jobs. If I had to commute during the peak AM rush, I'm not so sure I would have bought in Branford though. I am lucky because of the flexibility of where I work; I can go in early and leave early. Still, 95 can be a parking lot at 3pm. I would not recommend living east of the bridge if the OP will be going in at 7-8am and coming home at 5-6pm.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:44 PM

That is good info to have. I'm surprised that Shelton is more expensive then Branford. How is Milford, is that similiar to Branford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut