Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:14 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times

Advertisements

The media is reporting that MLB appears to be discussing with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays the idea of relocating the franchise to New Jersey or Southern Connecticut:Should Florida stick to Spring Training? | MLB.com: News
Like many sports fans that remember when CT was strung along by Robert Kraft and his overtures to move his Patriots to the state, i immediately dismissed the idea that the Rays would land here.

However, after thinking about this a bit more, i'm thinking that the Steel Point parcel in Bpt. would be perfect for a stadium. And, if they did build a real stadium, maybe an NFL franchise would also show "real" interest in relocating here. If nothing else, it would help us resolve our little "identity crisis"(NY/Boston) that we supposedly suffer from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 05:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The media is reporting that MLB appears to be discussing with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays the idea of relocating the franchise to New Jersey or Southern Connecticut:Should Florida stick to Spring Training? | MLB.com: News
Like many sports fans that remember when CT was strung along by Robert Kraft and his overtures to move his Patriots to the state, i immediately dismissed the idea that the Rays would land here.

However, after thinking about this a bit more, i'm thinking that the Steel Point parcel in Bpt. would be perfect for a stadium. And, if they did build a real stadium, maybe an NFL franchise would also show "real" interest in relocating here. If nothing else, it would help us resolve our little "identity crisis"(NY/Boston) that we supposedly suffer from.
I'm not sure that CT can support a professional franchise of any kind. Remember the Whalers? I remember the local news media basically begging people to go and support the team. The civic center holds about 15,500 people and it always seemed at least half empty. I do think it's a great idea, but I'm doubtful if it could be self sustaining without massive tax incentives and a sweetheart real estate deal...Maybe baseball can succeed where hockey couldn't?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
I'd rather see the team go to Las Vegas or even Puerto Rico since the Caribbean people are crazy about baseball.

LV or PR gives us a warm weather city for early April playing, rather than the cold snowy northeast or upper midwest.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,595 times
Quote:
That would probably be the best place to put it and clean up the area a bit. Although depending on cost of seats it will be a tough time filling the stadium.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 PM

11,300 posts, read 18,895,695 times
The Yankees, Red Sox and perhaps even the Mets would cry territorial rights. And as I believe that article noted (though it may have been in the comments), so many in the state are Yankees or Red Sox diehards that it would be tough to develop loyalty for a new team.

That said, if there were to be a 3rd team in the Tri-State area, somewhere in southern CT a significant distance from NY (like Bridgeport or New Haven) would make more sense than NJ which is just too close geographically to NYC, though the very large population of northern NJ is tempting (like the idea of not having to go over toll bridges just to go 10 miles or so to a game......the Mets even require TWO tollbridges for Jerseyites). I guess with 3 NHL teams and with three baseball teams in the 1950s (albeit at a time when there was no MLB team west or south of St. Louis) it could work, but I'm still pretty skeptical.

I thought about starting a thread like this when I read the article but I figured it would be more appropriate if someone who either actually lives in southern CT or is a native of the state did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'd rather see the team go to Las Vegas or even Puerto Rico since the Caribbean people are crazy about baseball.

LV or PR gives us a warm weather city for early April playing, rather than the cold snowy northeast or upper midwest.
My wife said exactly the same thing when she saw the article.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
I doubt that Connecticut can support a major league team.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:02 PM

21,628 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I doubt that Connecticut can support a major league team.
I agree. It'll never happen, or at least not in the near future.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
A dome would eliminate any CT "weather issues", and if the team were to move to LV it would be mandatory that they play in a dome anyway because it wouldn't be feasible to play in an open air stadium in the summer.

As far as Puerto Rico or Cuba go, see the Montreal Expos and their failure to make it work.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The Yankees, Red Sox and perhaps even the Mets would cry territorial rights. And as I believe that article noted (though it may have been in the comments), so many in the state are Yankees or Red Sox diehards that it would be tough to develop loyalty for a new team.
I think what MLB is seeing here is that we have a ton of rabid fans with $$$$$$. The one thing that we don't know is if MLB would be looking to realign the team in to the National League. I think that if they did, this market would absolutely sustain the team.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:20 AM

561 posts, read 1,923,872 times
Quote:

There has been a lot of mention by the media down in Orlando lately about the Rays or Brewers relocating here.

MLB Team In Orlando? - Video - WFTV Orlando (http://www.wftv.com/video/22320095/index.html - broken link)

Local politician Armando Gutierrez wants to bring Major League Baseball to Orlando. - OrlandoSentinel.com

As for MLB in CT... I don't know if it could work or not. I just know I am looking forward to attending Yankee games again soon, and to see their new stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut