Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:08 PM

79 posts, read 307,863 times

Advertisements

We are one of these folks out here who lost power (Norwalk) and our sump pump stopped working which means we have water damage, moisture, etc in our garage/basement AGAIN. We just mold remediated last December so it's crucial we get this cleaned up asap. Our insurance co will cover the all costs of clean up.

They gave us these names of companies who do clean up in CT:

FDX Restoration
Service Master
Serv Pro
Clean Sweep
Crystal Clean

Anyone familair with any of these?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 PM

138 posts, read 420,838 times
I'm going to be going through the same thing. Lost power to basement and sump pump. Insurance covers it. Waiting on agent to assess damage before we do anything. Basement smell horrific after 4 days of wet carpet (even shop vac'd it). Has your insurance company provided funds yet? Just curious to see if they paid you directly or are mailing you a check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrena View Post
We are one of these folks out here who lost power (Norwalk) and our sump pump stopped working which means we have water damage, moisture, etc in our garage/basement AGAIN. We just mold remediated last December so it's crucial we get this cleaned up asap. Our insurance co will cover the all costs of clean up.

FDX Restoration
Service Master
Serv Pro
Clean Sweep
Crystal Clean

Old 03-17-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoehoard View Post
I'm going to be going through the same thing. Lost power to basement and sump pump. Insurance covers it. Waiting on agent to assess damage before we do anything. Basement smell horrific after 4 days of wet carpet (even shop vac'd it). Has your insurance company provided funds yet? Just curious to see if they paid you directly or are mailing you a check.

wrote more in your thread.

Luckily we only had an area rug which they will either pay for or for its cleaning.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 PM

Whoops! Sorry, Syrena. Didn't pay close enough attention to the poster name. Sorry for the duplicates.
I actually called Liberty Mutual today and got the same answer as yesterday, 'Your claim is in the process of being assigned to an adjuster - 2-3 days.' I asked them to expedite as the moldy smell is permeating the house and is now giving us headaches. They took down the info and it's being passed to the emergency team of adjusters now.

Quote:
wrote more in your thread.

Luckily we only had an area rug which they will either pay for or for its cleaning.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,999 times
Service Master is a national chain, and we used them a couple of times for water damage in Hartford. They seemed okay.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:41 PM

42 posts, read 165,071 times
Quote:

FDX Restoration
Service Master
Serv Pro
Clean Sweep
Crystal Clean

Sorry to hear about the flood damage! I personally swear by Serv Pro.

Best of luck,
Michele

Old 03-19-2010, 06:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
OMG folks, sorry to hear. This is what I do for a living! (One of four components to my company)

Believe it or not, I'm in the same shoes...mine came from a failed plumbing fixture while on vacation. Half of my house is down to the studs right now.

Only a quick reply from the Residenc Inn () as I have to head out to work and then to my own house...

1. GET SOMEONE THERE NOW. Don't wait to get the water out. It will cause you so much more trouble down the road. You NEED to get the structure dry before it gets to the point that it will cost you THOUSAND of dollars more and you will be stuck in a hotel room for a month.

You can call anyone you want to come out and dry the structure and the insurance company will pay them direct. It will NOT hurt you in any way as far as claims etc. They can recomend a company, but not "make you" hire them. Just like autobody claims they insurance company is generally interested in saving a buck first and not you and your house.

2. Serv Pro is a national chain and for the most part the "Walmarts" of flood remediation. Some are okay, most are not.

The "best" chains IMO is Puroclean and Paul Davis Restoration. They are still small independantly owned. If you can find a local guy who does this and has a good reputation and equipment etc go for it. Look for someone that does more than just put dehumidifiers and air movers in. Heat is key as is targeted air flow. Look to see if someone uses a TES system and/or Phoenix. Both heat the structure as they are drying. Also ask them if they have a FLIR camera - think infrared heat display, it shows wet areas the eye can't see.

Also, beware of rookie mistakes like taking a moisture meter (Think of a smart phone with two short nails sticking out of the end. You poke it into the drywall and it measures moisture content.) and sticking it in drywall and saying "all is well". They need to stick two 3 inch screws past the drywall into the stud to see if you have moisture deep in the wall. The screws basically extend the reach of the tool.

I've had many many adjusters poke the drywall and say "all done" and then I sink a couple screws in and 30 minutes later we are pulling drywall out to dry the structure.

Like I said, I have to run, but I know my business and am more than willing to help you all with this with no vested interest...I don't want your busines and wouldn't be able to respond anyway as we are booked out solid.

Best of luck and remember - GET A FLOOD REMEDIATION COMPANY OUT THERE NOW to dry the structure. That's step one.

Shoehoard, I'm sending you a DM for a guy that covers West Haven (I don't have anyone in Norwalk, sorry) - his name is Greg. Call him to at least get some advice and remember, he deals directly with the insurance company to get paid so it's no sweat off of you.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 AM

Thank you, JViello. I replied to your DM.
Rainbow came out and put a monster dehumidifer in the basement. Said they couldn't dry us out until we removed stuff from basement (part of the basement is finished and the unfinished part holds large equipment for a small business). They wanted to get a POD out but we don't have a driveway so we're going to be busy moving stuff to other rooms this weekend. Yes, Rainbow had a moisture meter but it was slid along the wall. No prongs.
I actually talked to Jessica at Paul Davis on Monday. Had them all scheduled to come out and then 2 local Liberty Mutual reps told us not to have them come out until we talk to a claims adjuster. This morning is the first time an actual adjuster called us from LM. We were dealing with some nit-wit before. We asked her, 'are you our claims adjuster?' Her response, 'I could be. I could be your internal adjuster, not your external adjuster.' I swear we were dealing with the crypt keeper.
Rainbow told us that LM is obligated to call within 4 hours to start the water mitigation process. With this last storm, that was extended to 24 hours. They called Rainbow yesterday.
At this point, my boyfriend and I are just over all of this. We just want a dry basement, just want the demo, and just want the rest of the funds of our available $10K limit cut to us so we can do the rebuild at our leisure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
OMG folks, sorry to hear. This is what I do for a living! (One of four components to my company)

Believe it or not, I'm in the same shoes...mine came from a failed plumbing fixture while on vacation. Half of my house is down to the studs right now.

Only a quick reply from the Residenc Inn () as I have to head out to work and then to my own house...

1. GET SOMEONE THERE NOW. Don't wait to get the water out. It will cause you so much more trouble down the road. You NEED to get the structure dry before it gets to the point that it will cost you THOUSAND of dollars more and you will be stuck in a hotel room for a month.

You can call anyone you want to come out and dry the structure and the insurance company will pay them direct. It will NOT hurt you in any way as far as claims etc. They can recomend a company, but not "make you" hire them. Just like autobody claims they insurance company is generally interested in saving a buck first and not you and your house.

2. Serv Pro is a national chain and for the most part the "Walmarts" of flood remediation. Some are okay, most are not.

The "best" chains IMO is Puroclean and Paul Davis Restoration. They are still small independantly owned. If you can find a local guy who does this and has a good reputation and equipment etc go for it. Look for someone that does more than just put dehumidifiers and air movers in. Heat is key as is targeted air flow. Look to see if someone uses a TES system and/or Phoenix. Both heat the structure as they are drying. Also ask them if they have a FLIR camera - think infrared heat display, it shows wet areas the eye can't see.

Also, beware of rookie mistakes like taking a moisture meter (Think of a smart phone with two short nails sticking out of the end. You poke it into the drywall and it measures moisture content.) and sticking it in drywall and saying "all is well". They need to stick two 3 inch screws past the drywall into the stud to see if you have moisture deep in the wall. The screws basically extend the reach of the tool.

I've had many many adjusters poke the drywall and say "all done" and then I sink a couple screws in and 30 minutes later we are pulling drywall out to dry the structure.

Like I said, I have to run, but I know my business and am more than willing to help you all with this with no vested interest...I don't want your busines and wouldn't be able to respond anyway as we are booked out solid.

Best of luck and remember - GET A FLOOD REMEDIATION COMPANY OUT THERE NOW to dry the structure. That's step one.

Shoehoard, I'm sending you a DM for a guy that covers West Haven (I don't have anyone in Norwalk, sorry) - his name is Greg. Call him to at least get some advice and remember, he deals directly with the insurance company to get paid so it's no sweat off of you.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:01 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoehoard View Post
Thank you, JViello. I replied to your DM.
Rainbow came out and put a monster dehumidifer in the basement. Said they couldn't dry us out until we removed stuff from basement (part of the basement is finished and the unfinished part holds large equipment for a small business). They wanted to get a POD out but we don't have a driveway so we're going to be busy moving stuff to other rooms this weekend. Yes, Rainbow had a moisture meter but it was slid along the wall. No prongs.
I actually talked to Jessica at Paul Davis on Monday. Had them all scheduled to come out and then 2 local Liberty Mutual reps told us not to have them come out until we talk to a claims adjuster. This morning is the first time an actual adjuster called us from LM. We were dealing with some nit-wit before. We asked her, 'are you our claims adjuster?' Her response, 'I could be. I could be your internal adjuster, not your external adjuster.' I swear we were dealing with the crypt keeper.
Rainbow told us that LM is obligated to call within 4 hours to start the water mitigation process. With this last storm, that was extended to 24 hours. They called Rainbow yesterday.
At this point, my boyfriend and I are just over all of this. We just want a dry basement, just want the demo, and just want the rest of the funds of our available $10K limit cut to us so we can do the rebuild at our leisure.
Haha..Jessica Burch is awesome I've known her for years. Rick Suydam is the owner of the company a great guy too.

Couple things are going on here:

1. Liberty Mutual is breaking the law right now. What they are doing is called steering but they are doing it in a manupulative way using scare tactics. They can not "make" you use a certain company. Their obligation is to make the house whole and if that means you use someone you want, so be it. It's the same thing with autobody insurance claims.

2. I was approached by Rainbow International to purchase a franchise in Hartford county. I went to Texas to check them out. Total joke. *I* was teaching the "rep" things.

The fact that they are asking YOU to move things out is a J-O-K-E. It's called "content manipulation" and there is a line in our software to bill the insurance company for it. Very common.

What you want, is exactly what Greg at Puroclean does. They get you dry, cleaned out and clean. If that means tear out, so be it. They bill the insurance company direct and you don't have to deal with any of it.

Paul Davis on the other hand does soup to nuts so they are probably not the folks you want for what you wish to do.

Trust me, I know my business - I had the adjuster out of my house in literally 5 minutes and a check for $18,000 in the mail 3 days later.

Greg actually helped me with my demo as my own company is booked out solid. LOL

P.S. If the adjuster gets "pissy" with you, just tell him you are thinking of getting a public adjuster (Public adjuster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and watch his knuckles turn white.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 AM

Serv Pro is incompetent. Some guy came out and hardly did anything in terms of looking over the damage.

FDX restoration came out today and I trust the owner. Checked everything out, measured if our wood structure is dry-which it is not.

Still have not heard from adjuster but still going ahead as thee said I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut