Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,354 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of adding Monroe to our list of towns to look in for a home to buy. I've heard that almost all of the schools in Fairfield County are great, with the exception of some of the city schools. However, now I've been getting conflicting ideas about the state of Monroe schools. We have a friend who recently bought in Monroe who says the schools are great and that we would be dumb to look anywhere else because of the value for our money in Monroe. I've also recently heard that there are some major budget cuts coming, potential school closings, and that the schools there are going downhill fast. Also that some people from Monroe are leaving and renting homes in Trumbull to get into that school system instead. Can someone please help me sort through the fact from fiction, and also give your opinions on what you think of Monroe schools? By the way, I live in Chicago now so doing the research long-distance is a little difficult.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
This is the first I've heard of people going so far as to rent homes in Trumbull while/after living in Monroe to get into that district. IMO Monroe probably has equally good, if not better, education than Trumbull. This is also the first I've heard someone question the quality of schools in Monroe. It's a great school district where at least 9 out of every 10 MHS graduates go on to higher education.

We have a few Monroe residents as regular members here so hopefully they can elaborate on the schools/possible budget issues further.

Edit to add: If your budget allows you to buy into the Easton or Redding schools (Regional District #9), they are consistently ranked among the top ten in the state and among the best in the nation. Both are beautiful towns but they do come with a higher price tag.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 04-01-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times
From what I know Monroe has excellent schools that are very highly regarded. That someone would move to Trumbull for better schools makes me suspicious. Most towns here have drama when the annual education budgets are being drafted -in my town currently it's over putting solar panels on the middle school roof.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
I know someone who left Trumbull because of it's school system, and another that put their children at St. Joseph's to avoid the Trumbull high school. I don't think Trumbull's schools are better than Monroe's. Some years the school scores/ratings are better in Trumbull, some years they are better in Monroe. I think BOTH towns have very good school systems, despite any problems each town might have. The rumor is that Monroe's Masuk high school was rated/scored number 15 in the entire state last year, but I haven't looked into that to verify it. And it's true that they are probably closing one school next year, but they were going to do that in 2014 due to lower student enrollment anyway. Monroe IS having problems with budget cuts, and have for years, but the schools continue to out-perform. Each year the education system does needs more funding which angers taxpayers, largely due to union teacher contracts that are non-negotiable. Fortunately, next year most teacher contracts are up for renewal, which should lighten the burden on taxpayers, as teacher contracts are not likely to be as generous now due to the current economy. A year ago I would have recommended Monroe without hesitation, but I do so cautiously now. Still, I do think that with the early closing of one school, and the new teacher contracts, Monroe should get back on track quickly. Instead of focusing entirely on the school systems, since they are both very good, the OP should look at other considerations, such as what each town has to offer them, such as suburban/urban/commute times etc.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
What I've heard is that Monroe, like a lot of towns, has their anual budgets that goes thru referendum vote and the Ed budget gets cut a lot... while the system is quite good and the rankings are good apparantly they haven't bought new books in years and class sizes are going up.... on the other side of things Trumbull has no budget vote... the finance board just decides things but people are paying upwards of 8, 10, 12 grand a year in property taxes

Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Most if not all towns are going through issues with their schools. Towns like Monroe are not immune to this either. I believe the schools are still going to be good. This could just be a scare tactic being used to minimize funding cuts. Jay

Old 04-01-2010, 02:49 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
I've never heard anything bad about either district, though I've occaisonally heard that Monroe is a tiny bit "better" than Trumbull.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:32 PM

243 posts, read 774,167 times
Monroe schools are great. Are they on par with the Darien's, New Canaan's and Easton/Redding districts? Maybe not, but they are close. From what I've read Masuk ranks in the top 15 in the state and thats out of alot of High schools.

The problem with Monroe schools is that they are located in Fairfield County so they are automatically measured with the school districts in the panhandle, which are some of the best school districts, if not THE best in the whole nation. Monroe's schools are excellent and you don't have anything to worry about. Also Monroe schools, especially Masuk have tons and tons of activities, many athletics, music programs, drama clubs, etc. In fact Masuk has its own TV studio I believe and their producations can be seen on all the local CT stations with their anti-gambling advertisement which was put on by Masuk students at Masuk High School.

Here is what you have been hearing. Monroe's budget is high. It costs alot to live here (well compared to the rest of the state outside of lower FFC) and taxes are somewhat costly. Residents are mad (alot of older residents, but newer ones as well) because they see that 80% of the budget goes to education and alot of it goes straight into the pockets of the administrators, some of whom should or should not be there.

This has residents furious and the budget goes to referendum numerous times (April 6th for you Monroe residents) where it usually doesn't pass until its been voted on a few times.

As for Chalk Hill they are closing it to save money, because enrollment is supposed to decline in the next few years. My opinion? Horrible idea. Monroe has always been a family friendly town and the student population will creep up again and they are going to wish they didn't close it.

The schools are great, not bad at all. Don't listen to the hype about people moving to Trumbull, its not true. Trumbull/Monroe/Newtown schools are all the same, just as good as anywhere in the state outside the super wealty FFC towns where competition rains supreme.

You won't be dissapointed. Now with the state of Monroe's roads, that's another story.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:49 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
A year ago I would have recommended Monroe without hesitation, but I do so cautiously now.
I wouldn't worry about being cautious with the recommendation. Monroe has always been amongst the lowest in per pupil expenditure, while maintaining high scores and ratings. The only way it could go downhill would be if Monroe were to become an "affordable" town and see a subsequent influx of students with issues. Won't happen.......

Old 08-27-2010, 11:08 AM

59 posts, read 100,106 times
Anybody who lives in Monroe, where do you shop? How do you like living there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut