Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:14 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times

Advertisements

An Uncertain Future for the Metro-North Bar Car - NYTimes.com

That would be pretty sad if they didn't continue the Bar Car Its part of Railroad history and provides a stress free environment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 05:30 PM

152 posts, read 478,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
An Uncertain Future for the Metro-North Bar Car - NYTimes.com

That would be pretty sad if they didn't continue the Bar Car Its part of Railroad history and provides a stress free environment
I wholeheartedly agree! Surviving that wretched train ride on those uncomfortable seats would be unbearable without alcohol. Hopefully the new seats will be more comfortable, at least.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:26 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne0626 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree! Surviving that wretched train ride on those uncomfortable seats would be unbearable without alcohol. Hopefully the new seats will be more comfortable, at least.
You can bring your own alcohol.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,616 times
I won't miss it. And they should ban alcohol on the train too! I have seen way too many fights between the sober and the drunk on the Metro North NH line. Getting off in Fairfield one night, A guy who was drinking all the way used the restroom in the parking lot in front of everyone.

On a positive note, the new train seats will be much more comfortable. These have been in use on the Harlem line for a few years and they are far more tolerable.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:48 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I just came across an article on Westport.now by James Cameron who is the Chairman of the Connecticut Commuter's Council. Mr. Cameron basically said this article indicating that the bar car on Metro-North trains is being phased out is completely incorrect. The article in the New York times says that the existing cars will be junked and no new replacement cars will be added, neither of which is true. Mr. Cameron, a former journalist, joked that the reporter never let the facts get in the way of a good story. So much for journalist integrity. A link to his article is below. Jay

Talking Transportation: Bar Cars, The NYT and The Truth - WestportNow.com - Westport, Connecticut

Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You can bring your own alcohol.
Tugging along a bottle of wine while traveling is just not how I roll...

Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
I won't miss it. And they should ban alcohol on the train too! I have seen way too many fights between the sober and the drunk on the Metro North NH line. Getting off in Fairfield one night, A guy who was drinking all the way used the restroom in the parking lot in front of everyone.

On a positive note, the new train seats will be much more comfortable. These have been in use on the Harlem line for a few years and they are far more tolerable.
As is often the case, the majority has to suffer because of a few outliers?

My vote would be to ban drunks from boarding the train and receiving service from the bar car vs. banning alcohol altogether

Last edited by jeanne0626; 05-04-2010 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I just came across an article on Westport.now by James Cameron who is the Chairman of the Connecticut Commuter's Council. Mr. Cameron basically said this article indicating that the bar car on Metro-North trains is being phased out is completely incorrect. The article in the New York times says that the existing cars will be junked and no new replacement cars will be added, neither of which is true. Mr. Cameron, a former journalist, joked that the reporter never let the facts get in the way of a good story. So much for journalist integrity. A link to his article is below. Jay

Talking Transportation: Bar Cars, The NYT and The Truth - WestportNow.com - Westport, Connecticut
Thanks for sharing Jay. This is great news. Now I can sleep at night again, ha.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:18 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
I heard they would be cafe cars , and not bar cars. They would be leased to a fast food place like Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. But i also heard that they would still keep the alcohol.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne0626 View Post
My vote would be to ban drunks from boarding the train and receiving service from the bar car vs. banning alcohol altogether
Who would ban them? By the time the conductor comes around the train is already moving. Would you support paying someone to stand at every platform to ensure everyone is sober? I'm not sure where that money would come from, or how they would enforce it.

Moreover this would encourage drunk driving. Bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: