Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

I've known this for a short time now. But each time I see real estate in other areas I cringe.

Like this. This is just 1 of millions to compare to.

17 Acres of land for $300k and the views!

I might have to make a move soon...getting tired of this life here. I will miss the garden season and the winter snow. Not sure which one to choose. I'm guessing winter snow wins.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post
I've known this for a short time now. But each time I see real estate in other areas I cringe.

Like this. This is just 1 of millions to compare to.

17 Acres of land for $300k and the views!

I might have to make a move soon...getting tired of this life here. I will miss the garden season and the winter snow. Not sure which one to choose. I'm guessing winter snow wins.
You can buy an abandoned 10 acre farm in Upstate NY for $30K, in a remote area. One problem: Good luck finding work.

As much as I like Stowe, it's not a hotbed for big salaries IMO.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:43 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
I think I've said this 100 times. Real estate prices are based on supply and demand... The reason a house on .5 acres with three bedrooms goes for $900,000 in Westport and $250,000 in Enfield is the demand in Westport is greater. More people find it a desirable place to live. That desirability is driven by many factors-- proximity to NYC, access to the train, beach access, quality of schools, etc.

The reason you can get the bargain in Vermont is, despite that you see it as more desirable, most don't.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 AM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
Same with where all my family lives in Western NY, super cheap land, beautiful area, but good luck finding a job or a decent doctor or hospital if you need one. They have to drive to Buffalo (1 1/2 hours) or Cleveland (2 hours) away.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think I've said this 100 times. Real estate prices are based on supply and demand... The reason a house on .5 acres with three bedrooms goes for $900,000 in Westport and $250,000 in Enfield is the demand in Westport is greater. More people find it a desirable place to live. That desirability is driven by many factors-- proximity to NYC, access to the train, beach access, quality of schools, etc.

The reason you can get the bargain in Vermont is, despite that you see it as more desirable, most don't.
I understand but I'm at a point where I could care less about being in desierable area. Desire comes with stress.

Plus income is made from home anyway...so many ways to generate enough money to pay for your $400 a month mortgage.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:09 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
The go for it! If it works for you... Also, let me know where you get that $400 mortgage payment on a $300k property.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Also, let me know where you get that $400 mortgage payment on a $300k property.
Me too!

Then again, he might one of those interest only, loan guys.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
The go for it! If it works for you... Also, let me know where you get that $400 mortgage payment on a $300k property.
Figure of speech. I know taxes should be under $300 a month. and Like JV said...you can get land for $30k. That should equal a $300 a month mortgage.

And whats up with buying mulch every year here? It's like people spend hundreds of dollars sometimes thousands every year to make their property look "pretty". Then they complain about taxes..Getting tired of doing that. I'm in the wrong area for sure.

I want to be able to have a tree fall in my backyard and let it stay there because it fits right into the landscape. Im tired of seeing my neighbors house from my property. I want to be able to jump in a snowmobile instead of waiting for a D.O.T plow truck. I want the snow to stick instead of melt weeks later.

Searching for my next move now.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post

I want to be able to have a tree fall in my backyard and let it stay there because it fits right into the landscape. Im tired of seeing my neighbors house from my property. I want to be able to jump in a snowmobile instead of waiting for a D.O.T plow truck. I want the snow to stick instead of melt weeks later.
The name of this thread should be "I'm In The Wrong Area" because the above sounds like living in hell for me...no thank you to the falling tree, not having neighbors close by and having to use a snowmobile.

Bye bye

Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:

The reason I first went onto these forums a little over a year ago is I was contemplating a possible move to the Burlington, VT area. One thing I was shocked about there given it's small size is that housing was very expensive (not Fairfield County expensive, but not GA or NC either). And jobs are pretty scarce in VT, especially in the rural areas. Go check out the postings of GypsySoul22 in the Vermont and Work/Employment forums, she's an ex-Long Islander who is struggling in VT and contemplating moving to the Boston or Hartford areas now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut