Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,643 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will soon be starting a new job in Middletown and my husband works in Wilton. We are trying to find a location that would work for both our commutes.

Our criteria are -
1. Excellent schools. We have 2 children, ages 9 and 6.
2. $500k budget. We are looking for a moderate sized home (2000-2500 sq ft), with 3-4 bedrooms.
3. Family friendly town, with lots of kid activities.

Some of the towns we have been looking at are Trumbull, Monroe and Newtown. I fear my commute will still be too much from any of these. How about Southbury/Middlebury? It puts me closer to Middletown, but is the traffic on I-84 going to be much worse than the Merritt? Should we be looking further up along the Merritt, maybe in the Wallingford area? H's commute might then be a total nightmare. We are totally confused...I hope you have some good suggestions.

Lin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:49 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
I'd say the closer you are to Wilton the better. Newtown is a good start.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Wilton is about 55 miles from Middletown if you travel along the Route 15 corridor or 65 miles along the I-84 corridor. Wilton is kind of far removed from major highways and any commute to there involves traffic problems no matter which direction you are coming from.

At first glance I think the Trumbull/Shelton area would be best. Your commute would be further but would not involve any significant traffic issues. Figure 45 minutes to an hour depending on where you live and where your job is. The only problem would be that Trumbull and Shelton are pricey so you may not get much for your money. You could go furhter east to say Orange or Milford as well.

The Southbury area would afford you more house for your money but your commute to Middletown would be more difficult due to traffic in Waterbury. Your husband would most likely have to drive down Route 7 from I-84 and that would not be fun either. It really is your decision. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut