Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:32 PM

11 posts, read 37,239 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have the potential to work in East Hartford and are considering moving to CT. I read some mentions of Lyme disease and was a bit concerned. I am not posting this thread to offend anyone nor do I want to start heated debates, which is what happened in the other thread. So we have some questions and concerns about Lyme disease. Understand that we are from the midwest and we don't really have that at all here. It would be somewhat alarming to find a tick on our body, let alone one that could make us ill. I have an American Eskimo dog, and I can't imagine trying to find a tick on her everytime I took her to the bathroom or for a walk. I have always dreamed of having a nice suburban house with a garden, not in the woods, with a nice manicured lawn.

I do know someone from CT, and she told me that whenever she and her children go outside, she must inspect them for ticks when they come in, and she has at times found ticks on them. She lives on one acre, about 20 miles east of East Hartford, so it is not in the middle of the woods. She said that the locals are used to it, and deal with it, but that the ticks are a problem.

I saw some websites with the map of the US and the entire East Coast with the highest risk for Lyme disease. I also saw some websites for support groups telling some horrific stories about it. Some of them said that the rash does not always present itself and that it is oftentimes misdiagnosed, allowing it to progress and do more harm to your body. I also saw that this tick that carries it can be the size less than the head of a pin, and that some symptoms persist even after taking the antibiotics.

So if you go out to run, walk your dog, work in the yard, etc. not necessarily in the woods, do you always have to check yourself or wear long sleeves even in summer? More importantly, do they get in the house? and then what do you do? Are they everywhere, if they were just in the lawn at my friends house? Is it something that people there have just learned to live with and that is the preventative measure (to check). If anyone has had the disease, what was your experience, if you don't mind sharing?

Again, I don't want to offend anyone. I'm just trying to determine what to expect if we decided to CT, or if I can live with the potential to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 04:15 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
I truly understand your concerns regarding Lyme Disease-
the Disease is called 'Lyme Disease' from its alleged beginnings and or origin in that town along the southeastern Connecticut coast.

Firstly, the disease sadly to say has spread up and down the northeast corridor, and is common now even in the far west.

Secondly, the good thing is that the disease can be avoided easily using common sense. I would not wander or go hiking into tall grassy areas, or the woods wearing shorts or flip flops or going barefoot. As for pets- it is smart to inspect dogs and cats if the animal has been allowed to wander outside in rural areas that might harbor the ticks. In rural areas domestic animals may be allowed to roam in nearby woods, and grassy areas. In suburban towns leash laws apply for dogs- and domestic cats should never be allowed outside unless leashed also.

I live in eastern Connecticut in a suburb of Hartford. I have worn sandals into my garden- and walked barefoot, and never had a problem. A few summers ago I wore shorts and sneakers with socks into the woods locally and nothing happened. I know of just one person who had an encounter with Lyme disease- his dog became infected- and she was subsequently treated successfully by a Vet.

Lyme disease is not a pervasive problem here- and I am seldom concerned by it-or even have it on my mind. The smart thing to do is to simply use common sense in areas that are rural, with thick undergrowth. And wear the appropriate clothes if you do wander into these areas- otherwise Lyme disease infections here are few and far between.

Lyme Disease is a minor problem in the New England states- no different then denizens that live in other regions of the country. Its is not pervasive as a problem as many think and never has impeded my outdoor activity-

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-16-2007 at 05:44 AM..

Old 03-16-2007, 04:38 AM

223 posts, read 1,173,329 times
Even though Lyme Disease was first identified in the area of Lyme, Connecticut (down along the shoreline), it is not a bigger problem in Connecticut than anywhere else in the Northeast. Wooded and high grassy areas are where you are most likely to encounter deer ticks, especially during the summer months. I would recommend wearing long clothing when venturing into these areas (a standard precaution). Even though deer ticks are small, they are easy to spot and easy to remove from light-colored clothing.

I lived in suburban Hartford for 22 years and never encountered a tick in my backyard or in the neighborhood. While not an expert on ticks, I've never heard of tick populations surviving indoors.

You said that your friend lives 20 miles east of East Hartford. You should be aware that this likely puts your friend near some heavily-wooded areas in eastern Connecticut. In other words, the areas around your friend's house are probably less suburban and more rural than you think.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:13 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Lyme disease is ALL OVER the United States. And Europe. I'm an infectious disease physician. It's NOT something isolated to Connecticut, but is only named for the town where Dr. Steere identified the index (first) case.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:51 AM

139 posts, read 636,477 times
The majority of reported Lyme disease cases occur in the Northeast, upper Midwest, and Pacific coastal areas of the United States because these regions are where ticks tend to live. Though Lyme disease cases have been reported from all over, in 2005 the majority of cases were reported in:

Connecticut
Delaware
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
New Hampshire
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Some cases of Lyme disease have also been reported in Asia, Europe, and parts of Canada.

Lyme disease gets its name from the town of Lyme, Connecticut, where the illness was first identified in the United States in 1975.

Basing your decision on whether or not you are going to move to a state on your chances of getting lyme disease? Seems more then a little ridiculous to me. 5 dogs in Colchester and we are all still alive.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:48 AM

11 posts, read 37,239 times
Default Let me reiterate....

I would like to thank the people that have responded thus far - the ones who truly understood my questions. I would like to continue the thread to gain more infomation.

However, I would like to again reiterate what I wrote in my first email....

As I said, I know that many states in the Northeast and East Coast are high risk for Lyme disease from the maps from the Government. So I know that CT is not the only place to get it. However, since the job we are both considering is in CT, and this is a CT thread, I thought it would be appropriate to post it here. I know that Lyme disease is not only in CT. So I am not posting this to offend the people in CT.

I also realize that it is all over the US (along with many other diseases from insects and vermin), but if you look at the map, the area that I am from is predominantly low risk, so we don't deal with it. Yes, I'm sure anything is possible, and if I went out in the woods of my parents' 20 acre wooded property, with no protection, I would be at a slight risk to get it. It is nearly unheard of in our area.

Finally, I did not state in any way that I was basing my entire decision to move to CT on Lyme disease. I am sorry if my questions confused you. As I stated in my first email, we have questions and concerns, and are aware of the illness. I have seen other websites showing the extreme problems that it could cause if you have it. I have read that many people take antibiotics and are cured, but the problems may persist from it. Therefore, I do not think that it is ridiculous to consider my health in moving somewhere. I am again looking for opinions on how prevalent it is, how people deal with it, and what kinds of problems it causes. I am not looking for opinions on why or how I base my decisions to move.

Again, I am very interested in experiences and general knowledge so we can make the best decision for what we can live and deal with. Thank you.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:22 AM

567 posts, read 2,141,792 times
Kudos to you for doing your homework. I don't think your concerns or your post should offend anyone at all! Your long-haired dog and desire to spend some time outdoors justify your questions.

I have had Lyme Disease myself and it was treated successfully and I also know several Connecticut residents who have had the disease multiple times. It's not fun. Nobody likes to be sick.

I am pretty sure that some insect repellants have a tick repellant as well. Read the label before purchase and use to make sure you get one that repels ticks. If you are working in your yard or walking in the woods, it is a good idea to wear long pants and tuck them into your socks. Light colored clothes also help spot any ticks that may get on you.

When you come back from being outdoors, it is important to check your clothing and body thoroughly. Ticks will only transmit disease after they have latched on to your skin. If you can get them off before they do that, you will be fine.

Talk to your vet about flea and tick medication for your dog. Also ask your vet about the best tick prevention methods in CT. Perhaps it's brushing her outside before she goes in the house? I'm not sure, I don't have a dog.

Finally, ticks don't just walk in your house like ants or other bugs do. They hitch rides on people and animals.

Hope this helps! Be sure to check out the Lyme Disease information on sites like the CT Department of Health website. Rhode Island Department of Health also has good information on the disease.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
I've gotten latched onto by a tick once in my life and I practically live outdoors, in the wooded areas. I got that one by forgetting to check my cat and taking an afternoon nap with him on the bed. Plucked it off, and never had a problem. I live backed up to miles of woods and have wooded two acre lot.

My Maine Coon Cat gets ticks sometimes - we clean them off, and make sure he's treated to avoid them.

Not every tick has lyme disease, only deer ticks and they are not that common on animals. More than likely your dog will get what's called...well, "dog ticks". They don't carry Lyme disease.

I wouldn't worry about it...it's very very low on my list of "things to be concerned about" in my daily life.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:10 PM

154 posts, read 802,258 times
I've never or personally known anyone that has even been bitten by a tick let alone contracted lime disease from one. You chances are much higher being in the woods but I've been in the woods since a child as a boyscout and now as an avid hiker. When I go out in the woods I just make sure I use a good repellant. When I was in New Hampshire hiking this past summer I was more worried about the darn mosquitos and horse flies than anything.

I've only seen a few in CT and most were on our screen door of our house. We collected them in a cup and send to the local CDC and were told they weren't lime carrying ticks. They are interesting little buggers when you see them up close.

The best logic is just do a simple routine, if you are going to be in the woods wear a repellant and check yourself when you come back indoors. Don't be so preoccupied with it that you don't enjoy what you are doing.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:25 PM

28 posts, read 99,347 times
I just moved to CT from the midwest last summer but I've been vacationing to Cape Cod since I was a child. I have a Cairn Terrier that vacations with me. Since I was aware of the higher risk of Lyme in the East I decide to have my vet give my dog the Lyme vaccine.

Last summer I walked my dog through a wooded/grassy area and he was COVERED with ticks. I must have plucked off 15 of them. ( I didn't have any ) I was very concerned but he was fine....no problems at all.

I spoke with my vet here in CT and he suggested in addition to the Lyme Vaccine, switch from Frontline to Advantix. From what I've been told, the Advantix prevent the tick from going into the skin.

Hope this helps and good luck with the move from the Midwest! Let me know if you need further advise in adjusting from the midwestern lifestyle to the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut