Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times

Advertisements

A Polaroid tv/dvd combo won't play certain dvds. What's more weird is that these dvds are LionsGate movies-
Daybreakers
Precious

And it also wouldn't allow 2 Disney movies-
Alice in Wonderland -Tim Burton
Nightmare Before Christmas- also Tim Burton

This is truly puzzling.

Can anyone offer help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
are these retail dvds or burned?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
Check the boxes for the DVD's and the instructions on the TV player to see what formats they are and what can be played on the TV. They may not be compatible.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Double density/layer issue?

DVD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-19-2010, 01:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Copy protection is stopping them from playing. The firmware in the drive itself can't deal with it.

I really doubt it is a dual layer problem, as DVD's have been DL for a long time, and many (most?) DVD's are DL. With some older drives you can even see a pause or glitch when the drive refocuses on the second layer.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:20 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Macrovision?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Macrovision?
Technically Macrovision is a company commonly associated with VHS protection which is really nothing more than an analog video error they patented. It only effects VHS decks, it doesn't effect TV's. It wouldn't effect computer capture cards either except they look for it. It can and will be on all commercial DVD's but to the best of my knowledge it's just a flag on the DVD and added by the player through the analog outputs.

More here if you're interested: Macrovision Protection and Non Commercial VHS Tapes

Having said that it can be caused by a Macrovison product because they also produce Rip Guard and a few other products for DVD protection. Assuming these aren't burned disks or bootlegs I'd have to agree with Asheville Native. Many of the protection schemes skirt what is the DVD spec. Out of curiosity do they have the DVD logo on them?

If they are burned discs or a bootleg then the player doesn't like the disc. Some players won't play +R, -R or either. If you purchased these anywhere other than the normal location it's possible you have bootlegs. They go through great lengths to produce a very good looking product with nice screen printed covers, plastic wrapper... the whole deal. A lot of consumers would never know the difference. Funny story I heard on a video site, some time ago there was bootleg floating around where the guy ripping it fixed a problem with the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Check the boxes for the DVD's and the instructions on the TV player to see what formats they are and what can be played on the TV. They may not be compatible.
DVD is a standard, if a player or a disc has the DVD logo it has to meet the DVD specs. That's why I'm curious if they have DVD logo. The only issue you might run into with formats is if they PAL instead of NTSC. PAL is used in the UK and other countries. This FYI is the reason those discs Obama gave away didn't work. Another issue could be region coding but neither of those problems should happen because those discs are not distributed here.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:52 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
Wow- it seems I came to the right place....never knew all this.

These movies were mostly rentals- from the video store or Redbox. The Nightmare Before Cristmas was purchased at Walmart or somewhere but no longer have the box.

They play fine on our computer, xbox, or other tv/dvd combo....it's just this Polaroid TV doesn't like some of the dvds.

Am going to see about the warranty; however, I have a feeling they are going to say the dvd player works fine.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
OT but I can't resist pointing out how many posters are admitting to only being "half geniuses".

Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"They play fine on our computer, xbox, or other tv/dvd combo....it's just this Polaroid TV doesn't like some of the dvds."

I think you just answered your own question. Your unit is defective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics