Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:17 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times

Advertisements

Yeah yeah, I'm a dinosaur, sue me. Obviously there are pros and cons to newer vs older in most ways, including music (I admit that nostalgia notwithstanding, I do not miss static or skips on records!) - but a lot of the fun with music back when is lost on kids now. They'll never know the fun of going into a store and looking at rows and rows of stereo equipment...receivers, speakers, CD players (or farther back, turntables and cassette players)...and researching the various features, specs, brands, styles, etc.

Or of going to a music store and leafing through the various albums, much like one would browse in a library or grocery store, and finally deciding on an album and the fun/excitement of taking it home. Records, despite their flaws, were esp fun, because albums had so many diff kinds of not just "album art" but some had a flap that would open up w/the lyrics in it, some not...some used to even include stuff like a poster inside or have other features. Some even had different textures (I remember one which was sort of an alligator skin effect, etc). The variety was a minor but significant part of the fun of it all. Then you'd put the album on, sit down, and just listen to the whole thing, often while looking at the lyrics.

In short, it wasn't about just snapping up the music and quickly forgetting about it; it was an entire experience, almost like an event...not just something you did in between reading emails with a yawn.

When I heard about a song, the first thing that typically popped into my mind was the album cover. Now kids don't even get "albums" half the time; they just pick n choose individual songs. The whole concept of albums is getting lost. And yeah I can see advantages to that - don't have to pay for songs you don't like etc - but somehow to me those clunkers just made the other songs all the more appreciated. Really it's all so cold and impersonal now. Sad IMO.

OK dino rant over. Roar. I really do miss those days though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 07:55 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I didn't think it was fun going to a stereo store and being hounded by a sales weasel.

I like obtaining music based on how it sounds rather than album cover design.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I can rememebr when I was a kid going to a record store and pulling any 45 out of the rack;going into a booth and actaully playing it. That was a big incentive to actually purchcase the record.Few boughyt albums except for adults.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
I agree with you JOEY.....nothing like putting together your own system...I had a heck of a time finding a Graphic Equalizer for my system...I dislike the "modern" all in one setups.....

Old 08-02-2010, 08:30 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I didn't think it was fun going to a stereo store and being hounded by a sales weasel.
I visited such stores hundreds of times. Not once was I "hounded."

Old 08-03-2010, 03:09 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,327 times
Nor have I been hounded. There is a record store I visit weekly that still sells cassettes. I have kept my dual tape decks , equalizers , and all of my other audio equipment for years. I don't think any other record stores exist here aside from indies , which is good with me.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times
I miss shopping for new CD's (or cassettes, back in high school days) at music stores. It's like music stores are dying. There's hardly any left around anymore. Shame.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Welcome to Vinyl.com

I'm a fan.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
My biggest beef with "audio" today is that kids listen to recorded music via MP3 players and car stereos. Almost none of them listen to music over high quality playback equipment.

They have never heard great music (any style) played back on a great "stereo."

I worry that many of them never will.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:59 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Audio quality is still there for those who want to find it - free standing dedicated systems. The thing is now, it's all home theater - dolby 5.1, 7.1, dsp processing, subwoofers. And it is designed for home movie watching or console gaming.

Now, for music - it's all digital, and the purest will argue you loose quality in the translation, or, *gasp* ruin the music when you use the digital processing to duplicate a certain sound stage.

The huge vacuum tube component systems are not needed, except by the purest. I have my good medium level quality Yamaha receiver that probably delivers the same quality, at $400, as the $5,000 (inflation corrected) multiple systems Amp/Receiver/Equalizer systems from 40 years ago, baring the "vacuum tube" purist arguments. And I confess to using the DSP on occasion to simulate the Madison Square Garden, or the small cafe. Adds some variety. Then again, alas, I use it mostly for watching movies or playing my PS3.

Digital isn't all bad, except that I agree I do miss the album covers. But the problem really, while the good quality components are out there, music is seen as an "on the go" type of medium, quality is secondary...MP3 has turned music into elevator music. Which in turn, may explain why we have Brittany Spears, Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics