Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times

Advertisements

Verizon says its a Samsung problem, Samsung says it's a Verizon Problem, and I still can't watch tv using HDMI cables. I get no signal. I have to use component cables which are so bulky. Anyone else having this problem? Is the picture just as sharp using cables?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
I'm assuming you've tried different HMDI cables, if not that would be the first place to start.

After that, the easiest way to test would be to try each HDMI input on the TV itself to see if any of them work. You should also try hooking up a DVD player or another HDMI source to see if you can get a picture from that on the TV. If none of those work, than it may be a TV problem and you should exchange it.

The HDMI output on the FIOS box is always "hot" so it isn't like something needs to be turned on. If you confirm that the TV is fine by using a different source like a DVD player with HDMI, than the issue is most likely with the FIOS box and you should exchange it for a new one. It wouldn't be an odd occurrence that the HDMI output on the FIOS box was bad.

As for image quality, you really aren't losing much if anything using component cables versus the HDMI cable. The main benefit with HDMI is the simplicity of having a single cable to handle both HD video and audio.

The last thing I would ask is that are you routing any of this through a surround sound system? There can sometimes be issues with the HDCP digital encoding when passing the signal through multiple components, although it is a rare issue if setup correctly (source-->audio system-->TV). It is a non-issue if you are plugging the box straight in to the TV.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Thanks NJGoat,

I recently switched to Verizon so the cable box is new. I didn't hook up a dvd player yet I will have to try that. I did try all 4 ports on the tv. The HDMI cable was supplied by verizon (new in pkg) when I did the switch. The installer gave me one in the event I got a flat screen.

I was on the phone with Verizon and Samsung technical support and I'm surprised they didn't mention hooking up the a dvd player with the HDMI cable.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Thanks NJGoat,

I recently switched to Verizon so the cable box is new. I didn't hook up a dvd player yet I will have to try that. I did try all 4 ports on the tv. The HDMI cable was supplied by verizon (new in pkg) when I did the switch. The installer gave me one in the event I got a flat screen.

I was on the phone with Verizon and Samsung technical support and I'm surprised they didn't mention hooking up the a dvd player with the HDMI cable.
If I had to guess, it's either a bad cable or a bad port on the box. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 40,873 times
Default Hdmi outputs quit working after connecting fios receiver

Hdmi inputs on my sony tv quit working after verizon fios hd set top box was connected for a couple of weeks. Tried different box, cable and other inputs on my tv but nothing. Connected box to component video and the box and tv picture look good, but my 4 hdmi inputs are burnt out or something.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 40,352 times
I have been a Fios customer for about 2.5 weeks. I have a Samsung Plasma TV (model # PN50B550T2F) and an HD DVR box from Verizon. The box was initially connected using an HDMI cable and the picture was spectacular, however the picture would go blank intermitently. It started happening so frequently that we finally switched to component cables. The issue has ceased, however the picture quality is not as good. Any advice on how to fix the HDMI issue? I would like to switch back if we can figure out how to resolve the problem.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
.....and an HD DVR box from Verizon.
If you have the small black one the motorola sign on the right, its the DVR. I went through three of them until the problem stopped happening.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 80,191 times
Default Fios pic goes blank after 1 day

Have vizio TV and just switched to Fios. Pic goes blank then green. Called CS and they had me disconnect HDMI cable shut off box and then reconnect. CS said I may have to get a "monster cable" to replace my HDMI. And I am thinking what the hell, Verizon should supply the right cable to get this to work. The tech who installed the unit called back next day to see if things were working okay. I told him about the "monster cable" and said he doesn't know what it is. We called CS and asked for a tech to come out. She said she would have to charge us for him to come out. This blew my mind and I told them them shove their business. Then she said she would waive the charge. I should have stayed with Time Warner. no problems but they increased our rate. I will see what happens tomorrow.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:17 PM

237 posts, read 499,133 times
A Monster Cable brand cable won't make squat for difference. They make good cables, but they are usually way overpriced. A $3 HDMI cable from Monoprice will do the same job. HDMI carries a digital signal, meaning your picture will either be perfect, or it won't exist at all. There is no middle ground, it's either on or it's off. That's why it's hilarious to walk into a Best Buy or such and see them hawking $50 HDMI cables when you could buy 20 of the same thing from Monoprice for the same cost.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 80,191 times
Default Fios brought new box

The tech came out and put in a new box. He also brought the hookup cables and put them in. He said that if the our hdmi cable fails; then switch to the cables. So far there is not problem. Hopefully, the new box is the answer. The tech has told me someTVs will not work with their box. I believe he mentioned Samsung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics