Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 AM

457 posts, read 978,890 times

Advertisements

May buy my first flat screen TV since my JVC 32 inch CRT TV may seeing its end after 12 years. Picture suddenlty is real dark. Been watching it with the brightness on high. Anyway, I went looking at flatscreens. My budget allows me to buy an LED with a 120HZ refresh rate.

My understanding is LCDs are good for up to 47 inches and work best in brighter rooms. Plasmas are better for darker rooms and are best for 50 inches and above. Since my TV will be in a studio apartment near an adjacent balcony door, I decided to go with an LED around 46 inches. I kinda like
the Samsung 46" model UN46ES6100. Not interested in 3D etc. Netflex streaming would be nice, but I receive the DVDs along with streaming. I could always add a netflix box later. This TV without smart apps is $799. Smart apps included is raises the price to $1,099.

Here is where my problem starts. I found the Samsung 50" model UN50EH6000 with no smart apps for $799. I figure its a no brainer to get the 50" for the price of the 46". What I worry about is all the reviews indicate 50" and above work better with a plasma. Any advice on my situation or these models? Need to make a decision by Saturday.

There is also a third option of an LG 47" model 47LM6200 which includes smart apps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 05:16 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Go to the following website:

Black Friday Ads - The Official Black Friday 2012 Website for Black Friday Deals!

It shows you the future ads coming out.

Personally I own a UN46D7000 (bought last year). I didn't buy it for its 3D, but for its specs. Also buy online and not from the stores. Found mine at Pauls TV which is not local to me. They were around $600 less than Best Buy.

Also you may want to get a matching DVD player. I just upgraded to the BDE6500 and bought it at Best Buys Auction website for $50 ($170 in store). It was marked preowned, but in actuality it was a store return. Set it up and there was nothing wrong it. Contacted Samsung and they gave it a 15 month warranty.

Laptops, Cell Phones, Video Games, Cameras, Computers - CowBoom.com

Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
There is nothing wrong with the LED TVs over 50", it's just that plasma is cheaper in the larger sizes. Do NOT consider Westinghouse, we experienced a nightmare when ours died after 8 months, as now apparently all of them do, and are still waiting for the refund check after 2 months. When we get the check our replacement will be the 50" plasma from Panasonic. The advantage of the LED over LCD or plasma has been the efficiency, using less electricity, and the newer plasmas are now LED lit too and this one uses only $19/electricity/year. Plasma does better for fast action, such as sports.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
None of the display technologies are better or worse over a specific size. As said already plasma tends to be more affordable in the larger sizes than LEDs.

Just remember, LED TVs are LCD TVs. There is no such thing as an LED TV, regardless of how they are marketed.

LED backlights produce TVs with a very bright picture, but regular LCD TVs are bright too. I find most LED sets TOO bright and tiring to watch for long periods of time. It would be possible to tame this, but most people don't.

The very clear and inarguable differences are:

LED/LCD TVs use less electricity than plasmas
LED/LCD TVs have a narrow viewing angle
Some LED/LCD TVs have a motion blur problem with fast moving images. No plasma has a motion blur problem.
The thinnest TVs are sidelit LED TVs (but I don't think there is any meaningful difference between 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch thickness).
Plasmas produce less light output
No LED/LCD TV has been found to produce black level as good as a plasma. They are getting better.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Go here
Plasma TV Buying Guide: Plasma TV Reviews, HDTV Ratings, Pricing and Comparisons
and here
LCD TV Buying Guide: LCD TV Reviews, Ratings, Models, Recommendations & Best Prices on LCD HDTVs

Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There is no such thing as an LED TV, regardless of how they are marketed
Not true.
Diamond Vision - The First and the Finest - Mitsubishi Diamond Vision

Old 11-13-2012, 11:01 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Go to the following website:

Black Friday Ads - The Official Black Friday 2012 Website for Black Friday Deals!

It shows you the future ads coming out.

Personally I own a UN46D7000 (bought last year). I didn't buy it for its 3D, but for its specs. Also buy online and not from the stores. Found mine at Pauls TV which is not local to me. They were around $600 less than Best Buy.

Also you may want to get a matching DVD player. I just upgraded to the BDE6500 and bought it at Best Buys Auction website for $50 ($170 in store). It was marked preowned, but in actuality it was a store return. Set it up and there was nothing wrong it. Contacted Samsung and they gave it a 15 month warranty.

Laptops, Cell Phones, Video Games, Cameras, Computers - CowBoom.com
OP didn't say anything about best price, did he? No, he asked about differences in TVs. It may come as a surprise to you but some people are not 100% focused only on the lowest possible price. Had you spoken to someone at BB or even a local specialty retailer you may have been able to get closer to your online price. But I know many people today think the buying process is comparing specs and prices online, with maybe a little "showrooming", but no human interaction. Sad.

Please define "matching" DVD player. That should be an interesting explanation. BTW - "Store return" means preowned. It was purchased, then "return"ed to the "store".

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
That's correct. And OLED has been out for years. But OP doesn't live in a football stadium.

As has been said, brightness is the wrong reason to buy a TV. Manufacturers have conditioned some people into thinking brighter is better. It's not. The reality is that any TV with bright light pouring in on it is going to wash out to some extent, and the line isn't drawn simply between which tech is in play. Not that long ago, people said LCD was less reflective than plasma. Not only did that not cover all models of either tech, but many LCDs had gone to using a very reflective screen that was at least as reflective and detrimental in more brightly lit rooms. The point here is to not simply accept some broad statements as absolute truths. The wall of windows to the left of my plasma faces east, and I've enjoyed that TV for over two years now at all times of day.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM

457 posts, read 978,890 times
Appreciate all the links. Allow me to clarify my TV purchase.

Due to my financial status, I need to use my card for either Best Buy or Sears. I wanted to stay under $1,000 if possible due to extra warranty, so there is some what of a budget conscern.

I was not impressed with Sears models. They also wanted $70 to deliver and $10 to take my old TV. Bestbuy has free delivery and will take my old TV. Bestbuy's warranty price is for 4 years, while Sear's warranty price is for 3 years.

The original post was my concern with an LED TV over 47" being used in a bright room. After looking at Bestbuy I found the below models:

Samsung 46" no apps = $799
Samsung 46" with apps =$1,099
Samsung 50" no apps = $799 (sale until Saturday)

LG 47" with apps = $899

All above TVs are LED, 1080 AND 120hz.

The only app I'm interested in is the Netflex app. Not interested in 3D, and not a gamer. I could add a Roku ($59) for the Netflex shows at a later date. I was kinda set on the Samsung 46", but noticed the 50". My original post concern was the 50" LED picture would not be as good as the 46" LED picture.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I don't know why you keep bringing this up. You can't put it in your house. And although you probably CAN buy one, not many realistically can.

It would also be a horrible TV at home watched from a normal distance.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:50 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,877,049 times
OP, another link for you AVS Forum scroll down to LCD flat panels and be ready for information overload.

Pay attention to the "official" threads. Just find the model number of the TV you're interested in and read away. The specific model you were asking about: Unxxes6100 - Search

Not sure about your concern with buying a TV over 47". I bought the 60" version of that same TV (Samsung LED UN60ES6100) in late August and use it in a fairly bright room everyday. Very much satisfied with it.

A big advantage of having a Smart TV is with your internet connection, the TV can download firmware updates with a push of a button on the remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics