Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times

Advertisements

And there still isnt!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I LOVE vinyl and wish everyone would go back to analog mastering so that we could get the full benefit of new music on vinyl. I know some of the newer artists are putting their stuff on vinyl, but it still comes from digital masters.
All things being equal and a decent sound system that can actually bring out the difference with vinyl 99% of consumers aren't going to be able to tell the difference between vinyl and a CD that is 80's tech. Of course digital sound has come a long way since with far better formats that haven't gone mainstream because CD is "good enough". Ironically though with downloads due to bandwidth considerations it's gone backwards.

It's not the digital format ruining these recordings but the engineers, they drive up the amplification but they lose all the dynamics and nuances. Granted using youtube examples isn't exactly ideal but it will get the point across.

Why I Don't Buy "Remastered" CDs. - YouTube

Metallica Death Magnetic - How to lose the Loudness War - YouTube

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-27-2012 at 05:52 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
I own a couple of fairly refined hi-fis ( tube electronics, electrostatic speakers, good record playing gear) and though I enjoy playing records I hear no sonic advantage. Comparing the SACDs of Reiner and the CSO with the original RCA Shaded Dog LPs I hear no advantage of one format over the other. Same thing when comparing CDs of Mercury Living Presence recordings with the original LPs.

I do most of my listening to Apple Lossless files in the cloud through an Apple TV to an outboard DAC and then the hi-fi. I'm listening to Reiner and the CSO's Scheherazade that way right now, sounds great.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
All things being equal and a decent sound system that can actually bring out the difference with vinyl 99% of consumers aren't going to be able to tell the difference between vinyl and a CD that is 80's tech. Of course digital sound has come a long way since with far better formats that haven't gone mainstream because CD is "good enough". Ironically though with downloads due to bandwidth considerations it's gone backwards.

It's not the digital format ruining these recordings but the engineers, they drive up the amplification but they lose all the dynamics and nuances. Granted using youtube examples isn't exactly ideal but it will get the point across.
Very true! The "loudness wars"! Death Magnetic from Metallica is a perfect example, but I have also heard the engineers basically wanted to produce DM just like their "Justice" album - which was heavy bass and kick drum, but since it was an all digital mastering, the sound came out heavily clipped. I just know that the Justice album sounds much cleaner than DM, even with the heavy bass and kick drum.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman
All things being equal and a decent sound system that can actually bring out the difference with vinyl 99% of consumers aren't going to be able to tell the difference between vinyl and a CD that is 80's tech.
Yes and its sad they cant... (Makes it harder for ppl like ME who can and know what really IS BETTER)

Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes and its sad they cant... (Makes it harder for ppl like ME who can and know what really IS BETTER)
There is certainly arguments that can be made about CD but that's 80's tech and if you're talking about MP3's those are compressed and that's a whole other topic. If I sat you down with a well mastered DVD audio disc you'd never tell the difference and that is just fact unless you're going to suggest you're superhuman.

The limitations of digital over vinyl is the sample rate and and how many sounds it can reproduce. For example a CD which is 44kHz/16 bit can reproduce 64K different sounds 44,000 times a second. DVD audio on the other hand is 192kHz/24 bit and can reproduce almost 17 million different sounds 192K times in a second.

When you consider how accurately a CD can reproduce sound what does that tell you about a format that is 260 times as accurate at four times the rate? You're outside the arena of human perception...

Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
I got a NEW record player for christmas

Is a micromatic as seen here: www.vinylengine.com/library/magnavox/micromatic.shtml

She looks beautiful!! (Looks like a 70s player) -- Has all 4 speeds (16/33/45 and 78) -- I havent ever had a player with 16!!
Congratulations, and happy new year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We had a 1953 Zenith console model L2287RU that had a turntable like the one shown here
Our neighbors when I was a kid had a similar turntable/AM-FM console. The snake eyes and the shape of the Cobra tone arm used to scare the crap out of me. Us kids liked the way you could change the record speed gradually (or not!) while the records were playing just by sliding the lever around. Fortunately, that was just with our kiddie records. Once we started buying our own 45s and LPs, we quit that practice immediately!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 PM

1,110 posts, read 671,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I LOVE vinyl and wish everyone would go back to analog mastering so that we could get the full benefit of new music on vinyl. I know some of the newer artists are putting their stuff on vinyl, but it still comes from digital masters.
Not always. There are lots of 'all analogue' new and reissued vinyl titles available. I'll pass on just about any digitally sourced vinyl so I feel your pain.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 PM

All NEW vinyl is trash!! (Just the digital master recorded on it. NO BETTER SOUND THAN A CD)

Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
All NEW vinyl is trash!! (Just the digital master recorded on it. NO BETTER SOUND THAN A CD)
A digital master is superior to CD by a factor of hundreds, see my post above on CD vs. DVD audio as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics