Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,251,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Thanks for the 1? 2? person that actually tried to be helpful vs just mocking.

You know I'm not the only person complaining. I see posts about not being able to see anything in dark scenes all the time. Slightly different issue of me not like the hard deep blacks but to my eye it seems related.

I'm sick of spending my life trying to get elecrtronics. With new tvs if you want to actually see whats going on in a dark scene you have to either get a calibration disk, be a whiz who likes spending hours ****ing with your tve or actually hire in a calibration expert. Thats after all th e research of trying how to figure out what to buy. Makes me just want lay down and give up.
Heard of crushed blacks?
Solid Signal Blog - What are "crushed" blacks? (and why are they bad?)
To get the most out of anything more complicated than a toaster, you need to learn a little about it. Computers, TVs, sound systems, cars, smart phones, tablets, etc., all require some attention to get all they're able to provide. All TVs ever built should have been calibrated, but that process didn't really become known to the general public until the last 10-15 years. Pros using video displays, such as TV/movie pros, doctors, architects, designers, or anyone else who requires accurate video, have been doing it much longer. I remember bringing in a tech to do calibrations on home theater setups using CRT projectors in the late 80s. It's not a new process.

The process of "figuring out what to buy" applies to everything one would buy. The method has changed, but there's still research to be done. TV has only changed in a majoy way twice since its inception more than 70 years ago, B&W changed over to color, then broadcast became digital; switching to widescreen. Everything else was an incremental change just like every other product out there.

There are websites you can find that provide settings info on various TV models that will get you 90% of the way to a full calibration. Crushed blacks aren't something you need to accept unless you have a crappy TV, or if you're watching media that is already crushed.

Good luck with your quest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,325 times
Old school CRTs are 1000 times better than LCDs to me. yeah, they may look bulky and heavy, but I admire picture quality and durability than the lightweight and thinness. most CRTs from early and mid 2000 were armed with big screens and some with HDTV and HDMI capabilities, and I enjoy my 29" 2004 SHARP CRT TV. I don't want to use any sub woofer with it because the sound quality is incredibly good. even VGA, S-VIDEO and RCA formats are supported, so I don't see any reason to replace that nice TV set with a new crappy LCD. It looks fine with Knight Rider from 1982 and "Olympus has Fallen" from 2013. It takes a bit more power than LCDs, but I don't care about that.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,744,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW AC View Post
Old school CRTs are 1000 times better than LCDs to me. yeah, they may look bulky and heavy, but I admire picture quality and durability than the lightweight and thinness. most CRTs from early and mid 2000 were armed with big screens and some with HDTV and HDMI capabilities, and I enjoy my 29" 2004 SHARP CRT TV. I don't want to use any sub woofer with it because the sound quality is incredibly good. even VGA, S-VIDEO and RCA formats are supported, so I don't see any reason to replace that nice TV set with a new crappy LCD. It looks fine with Knight Rider from 1982 and "Olympus has Fallen" from 2013. It takes a bit more power than LCDs, but I don't care about that.
Then you must hate CRT's because they have horrible picture quality compared to a quality, properly setup, plasma or LCD.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:09 AM

558 posts, read 1,122,321 times
Yes. I love my 15 year old Sharp 36"!!! I had a new fancy TV for awhile and got rid of it. I don't care if you call me low-tech, I like the picture of my tube tv and I have 3 more in the garage for back up. So I will be set for the next 30 years. You wont sell me on those new TV's. Never seen one that I liked.
I'll add that while your saying the new TV's look sooooo much better and are superior, then I guess my eyes are just low-tech too

Old 01-19-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW AC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Yes. I love my 15 year old Sharp 36"!!! I had a new fancy TV for awhile and got rid of it. I don't care if you call me low-tech, I like the picture of my tube tv and I have 3 more in the garage for back up. So I will be set for the next 30 years. You wont sell me on those new TV's. Never seen one that I liked.
I'll add that while your saying the new TV's look sooooo much better and are superior, then I guess my eyes are just low-tech too
Sharp TVs must be emitting some kind of brain-washing rays.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:11 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,748,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Sharp TVs must be emitting some kind of brain-washing rays.

I wonder if the problem is some of these folks see Stand-Def TV on a Hi-Def box and it has black boxes around the edges and looks a little grainy so it quickly gets dismissed.
If you were to set them side by side you CRT lovers and watch a football game or a movie you'd clearly see the difference.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I wonder if the problem is some of these folks see Stand-Def TV on a Hi-Def box and it has black boxes around the edges and looks a little grainy so it quickly gets dismissed.
If you were to set them side by side you CRT lovers and watch a football game or a movie you'd clearly see the difference.
There are numerous reasons why someone may think that a CRT is better. Flawed setup is certainly one. Total lack of knowledge about what they should be seeing. Unwillingness to accept anything new or different from their norm.

An old neighbor, who was a completely brainwashed Bose fan, kept telling me how awesome her cubes sounded and that she'd never heard anything close. She listened to my $15K Martin Logan/Pioneer Elite/B&K surround system that I'd spent many hours tuning, and in less than 10 seconds was asking why it didn't have any bass, and why she couldn't hear everything all over the room. She also has a Vizio ~60" LCD that is so bright that I couldn't watch it more than a few minutes so I made an excuse to leave. She saw my calibrated 58" Panny plasma and instantly asked why it was so dark. Even after I explained a little bit about colors and brightness, she still said hers looked much brighter, and saw that as the only factor in judging picture quality.

Some people don't get it.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,599,268 times
I'm perfectly happy with my tube tv's I don't own any flat screen tvs. To me a TV is a TV I've been in homes with flat panel tvs they have nice pictures but honestly I could care less. When the flat screens become dirt cheap I'll buy them. My tube tvs will outlast any of these flat panels. I have a JVC 36" in the living room that has a real nice picture and sound. I have a Sanyo 32" flat screen tube tv in my room.

If it isn't broke don't fix it. I may be old school but at least I'm not making payments on a TV

Old 02-08-2014, 05:40 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,238,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yeah that is definitely one thing I don't miss about the old style TVs. I had an old Panasonic 32 inch that I had to move a couple of times and thought I was going to rupture myself before I had gotten it into the house.
We still love our 1998 50" Hitachi , have plenty of room for it
The picture is quite good and the sound is better than very good and hate the idea it may fail, especially since we'll then have to move it

https://www.google.com/search?q=hita...sp%3B640%3B480

It replaced a (28" or so)Sharp which is much older and got moved into the BR, where it still works
perfectly.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,748,805 times
I did cart wheels when I finally replaced my 37 inch, 101 pound (no exaggerating) TV with a 42" inch 16 pound LCD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics