Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 PM

52 posts, read 697,207 times

Advertisements

After having my Halloween lights were boldly stolen in broad daylight I decided to invest in security cameras. I went to new egg, home depot etc... but I don't really know which one to buy. I prefer wireless and something under 300 but I am wondering if that would be unrealistic. Would like night vision and playback, some systems I noticed are real time only.

Anyone know of a decent security system without breaking the bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:45 AM

23,660 posts, read 70,702,206 times
Get a couple of cheap IP cams (Wanscam or Foscam) set them up and leave a computer running for them to send files to. Wanscam has funny coloration of images but much better night vision. Foscam images are color correct and the interface is better. Don't expect anything more than marginal picture quality unless you spend more money than you have suggested.

You will have headaches doing setup - look on youtube for instructional videos on setup BEFORE even opening the box. The pidgin language instructions included are often outdated or just plain wrong.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:09 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,895,589 times
Because of our grand children playing in our front yard often, we set up *Security Video Cameras*, so we could *monitor* them while they were outside and we were inside at certain times.
So ... (added benefit ...) at night we were then also able to see what was going on outside.

Wireless, can be hacked.
So we went *hard wired*.
Plenty of choice there and ended up for the ZMODO brand.
You need to shop around and often they have *deals* on *packages*,
like recorder, and four (up to eight ...) cameras.
CCTV Home Security System, Surveillance Camera Systems - CCTVHotDeals

http://www.cctvhotdeals.com/8ch-h-26...cameras-1.html

http://www.cctvhotdeals.com/8-camera...h-264-dvr.html

Next is quality of read out on *your* monitor, which can be anything,
that can display a simple VGA signal.
We have an old (seems like 1000 pounds) heavy analog 27 inch TV,
which we use to look at what the cameras *see*.
Cameras have certain resolutions, so the higher the resolution, the better the video quality.
Look at the listed amount of TTL lines.
Then the *night* vision capability and the distance those cameras still can display some recognizable human face !
You can't recognize who they are, no use for the law to find them ...
There are two basic versions, CCD and some other method,
I forgot which kind, but CCD seemed to be a better method.
How to Choose a Suitable Security Camera: 7 Steps (with Pictures)
12 Common Types of Security Cameras - Spotlight Article from CE Pro

So ... , set up your requirements, do the shopping comparisons and go from there.

What we learned:
ZMODO was what we in the end chose.
We did have set-up problems but their customer support was excellent !
It has a feature that can send a message to our phones,
and then with the proper APP, we can even look what is going on.
We are satisfied with the system and look at the grand children from the inside.
Since one of the cameras also looks at our front door,
we can see who is at our front door at night !
The *package* came with 8 cameras (could not resist the *deal* ...),
I have also set some of them up in our backyard and see the chickens we have there.
(what else could we use the remaining cameras for ???)

Just a comment:
While I was installing the cameras, my neighbour who is a policeman, came over, and kindly told me that often, a fake camera and some big signs, *stating that the property is under video surveillance* is often a good enough deterrent for theft !
Uhuh ... now he tells me .... !

In the end, a bit of work to set them all up.
(you have to go under the eaves, and then thru walls etc. etc ...)
We went under the eaves, then thru the attic, and down into our *office*.
Today, we can check on our grand children,
we can see at night who is at he front door,
we can look at our chickens (fun),
we also set them up inside (looking at the entry possibilities to our home),
we can *look* on our smart phones, what is going *at home*.

TIP:
We bought less hard drive.
Added our own (left over from previous computer project) hard drive.
Unless you want to see week long playbacks, you need a really big hard drive.
We installed a 360 Gig HD. When full, the system starts all over at the beginning.
After all, if nothing happened, who cares.
If something happened, it should be not longer then a day or two ago, no ???
You can set up the system, to only record, when there is *movement* !

Last edited by irman; 10-21-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 12-22-2014, 01:55 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,974,278 times
This thread is a little bit old now, but I want to chime in what I've learned for anyone else searching for CCTV or surveillance system information, and maybe others can chime in with what they know or what system they have.

I'm currently looking at this system with the 4 cameras and 1TB HD DVR: Amazon.com : Amcrest 720P HD Over Analog (HDCVI) 4CH Video Security System - Four 1.0 MP Weatherproof IP66 Bullet Cameras, 65ft IR LED Night Vision, Long Distance Transmit Range (1, 640ft), Pre-Installed 1TB HD for 360 Hours 8Ch Recording 720p @ 30fp

Based on what I've seen researching cameras online, it looks like image quality is in the following order, from worst to best: CIF (Vhs quality) < VGA < D1 < 960H (DVD quality) < IP cameras < 720p (Half-HD) < 1080p (Full HD).

CCD cameras are better than CMOS.

The higher the TVL rating, the better quality picture you will have. Most people online recommend at least a 700TVL rating, but some companies will exaggerate higher numbers.

The larger the chip is inside of the camera, the better the quality is... so a 1/3" chip is better than a 1/4" chip, and a 1/2" chip would be even better $$$.

You can buy HD cameras all you want, but if your DVR doesn't record and support HD, you're wasting your money.

The more IR lights the camera has, the better it will see in the dark (in theory). 40 IR is better than 24 IR.

And of course, a 1.3 or 5 MP camera is going to be better than a 1.0 MP camera. The more megapixels, the better.

Now here's the issue: Once you start trying to get a system that has a 1/3" chip, 960H or 720p quality, and reasonable infrared capabilities for nighttime, you're right at $500. Most people don't want to spend that much on a residential security system. Your best bet is to do the best you can and mount the cameras as closely as possible to the front door, garage, etc where you'll want to see faces or cars. There are some YouTube videos of the various brands that show actual video people have recorded, so you can see how good they are. The one I posted above is the front-runner so far for my $400 budget. I believe Foscam (name brand) makes Amcrest. There are a hundred different CCTV brands, and many of them are made by the same companies with different labels on them. Shopping for anything over $50 is a curse for me because I have to comparison shop forever to ensure I get the best deal, lol.

Last edited by Geneyus; 12-22-2014 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics