Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 12:50 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,711,046 times

Advertisements

before you tell me to get a new phone, hear me out.

someone gave me an old AT&T cordless model # 7620. In the box, never used.
I got a battery, charged the phone for 24 hours -
but - no dial tone,
and the charging indicator is still red, not green.

I checked the phone line with Optimum, that is ok.

Possible the battery (which I ordered new) is no good.

before I chuck the phone, I just wanted to check, cuz there might be someone here who knows more than me.
maybe a simple thing will fix the problem.

thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 01:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
While in the charger, is there a light on indicating that it is charging? Make sure it's seated completely in the charger. Check the charger with a multimeter to make sure it's putting out voltage, they have been known to go out too, also the AC/DC adapter that plugs into the charger. When you buy the batteries for $3 with free shipping from China the quality can be good or bad, while the ones at a retailer are usually more reliable but over priced.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:47 PM

there is a light that indicates it's charging, but the light has been red for going on 30 hours.

well I don't have a multimeter to check.

My batteries cost 6.00, but they might be no good.
But if they're no good, it's not worth it to request new ones.

I guess I should chuck the phone.

I really like the old att&T phone. I had one for 20 years and it just recently went. Actually the answering machine still works. but the phone cuts off and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
While in the charger, is there a light on indicating that it is charging? Make sure it's seated completely in the charger. Check the charger with a multimeter to make sure it's putting out voltage, they have been known to go out too, also the AC/DC adapter that plugs into the charger. When you buy the batteries for $3 with free shipping from China the quality can be good or bad, while the ones at a retailer are usually more reliable but over priced.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:18 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
I had a problem with the battery in my At&t cordless phone. (Model 4200) ... Turns out 1 of the wires to the battery WAS OFF THE BATTERY!! (I got this @ salvation army and I love it...... I love analogue,always have )

I just got a new battery and it works fine

Quote:
But if they're no good, it's not worth it to request new ones.
Why isnt it worth it??

If its important to you,ITS WORTH IT!!

Last edited by Dude111; 12-10-2014 at 05:27 PM..

Old 12-11-2014, 04:28 AM

I agree, but unfortunately-
yesterday while I was walking around thinking about what to do, I somehow broke the antenna on the phone, so I threw it out.

thanks tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I had a problem with the battery in my At&t cordless phone. (Model 4200) ... Turns out 1 of the wires to the battery WAS OFF THE BATTERY!! (I got this @ salvation army and I love it...... I love analogue,always have )

I just got a new battery and it works fine

Why isnt it worth it??

If its important to you,ITS WORTH IT!!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
I have done that lots of times on various things

Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 AM

Yesterday I found the exact phone I want at Radio Shack- at&t trimline, only $20.00.

easy to set up and to use.(That is important to me)

I just have to decide betwe. corded and cordless and if I want one with an answering machine. I have answering service thru Optimum, but it is not as convenient as having a machine. I do have the anwering machine from my previous at&T but don't know if it will work with the new trim line.
I guess it should, it's just a matter of hooking up the various wires.

I'm leaning toward corded rather than cordless, bec. it is safer in terms of the high frequency waves entering my brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics