Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 03:11 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I thought that was there little claim to fame when they started out.
Nope.

Vizio's Flat-Screen Burst - Forbes

But!
Element TVs are.
http://www.elementelectronics.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 06:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
This is a excellent question. I'm a diehard American cars and trucks only. Even headed to the International Auto show in Detroit this weekend. But if you walk in my house you see Samsung everywhere from my washer/dryer to TV's.

The reason for me is because well I'm from the Detroit area and most of my friends and family work at GM and Ford and it would be unacceptable for me to buy anything but the big 3.

I've bought many TV's and appliances. I found Samsung to just be the best for what I need. But I do order them from American stores like Amazon and Lowe's who have put many American's to work.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
This is a excellent question. I'm a diehard American cars and trucks only. Even headed to the International Auto show in Detroit this weekend. But if you walk in my house you see Samsung everywhere from my washer/dryer to TV's.

The reason for me is because well I'm from the Detroit area and most of my friends and family work at GM and Ford and it would be unacceptable for me to buy anything but the big 3.

I've bought many TV's and appliances. I found Samsung to just be the best for what I need. But I do order them from American stores like Amazon and Lowe's who have put many American's to work.
You buy foreign electronics from American retailers. But is that any different than buying a Honda (probably manufactured in Ohio) from a car dealer in your area? That car dealer puts Americans to work too.

What about a Ford Fusion manufactured in Mexico?

Would you have bought a Mazda made at the Flat Rock plant when Ford and Mazda partnered for design and manufacturing?

Old 01-17-2015, 01:33 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
The question sounded general but posted in the CE forum. If the question is a general one, how about:

Food, dairy, beer

As far as electronics, Dell WAS a "Buy American" company

When IBM computers became Lenovo it took a while to be accepted.

How about College education

Real Estate investment

US stock markets

Buy American extends outside of the US. A "Foreign" auto makers bought an American car company for their IP, the Chrysler acqusition.

Levis, Nike, NBA

Just to name a few.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:38 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
So many things have been sent to other countries it is very hard to find American made products.
I have recently discovered fabric that is made in America and I will no longer be purchasing fabric made in China.
The biggest issue I will have is there are about a dozen patterns on the fabric so my choices are very limited but they do add new patterns within shorter periods of time so my choices are expanding.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:50 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
For example, you never hear people say "buy Xbox instead of PlayStation because Microsoft's American". Is it just because home electronics aren't as major of a purchase as a car is?
1. After the age of globalism it's hard to say who is American and who is not. Microsoft is American ? They have office an most countries employing people in many countries and their Stock is trading on many stock exchanges. They are global company that started out in the US. Even "buy American cars" is no longer valid. Buy a good car, American car manufacturers have plants in Mexico and Foreign car manufacturers have manufacturing in the US...

2. It is Patriotic to expect US to produce superior products and not buy junk because US can not compete.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
For example, you never hear people say "buy Xbox instead of PlayStation because Microsoft's American". Is it just because home electronics aren't as major of a purchase as a car is?
Duh.

Where is Xbox manufactured? | Ask.com

Old 01-24-2015, 10:08 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No one really tries to buy American any more, simply because there isn't much made here any more. Even my Ford has an engine made in Spain, Transmission made in France. Some Ford models are made in Mexico, others in Canada. Chrysler makes some of their transmissions in Mexico. Almost every car has 40% parts made in China or some other Asian country. The XBox may be a Microsoft product but they are made in Hungary, Poland and Malaysia.
"No one really tries to buy American any more, simply because there isn't much made here any more."

I respectfully disagree.

The U.S. is NO. 2 in the world in manufacturing, so MANY things are still made here.

[SIZE=4]The American Made Products Directory[/SIZE]

Made in the USA Products Directory for American Made Items

Old 01-24-2015, 10:13 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I go out of my way to "Buy American". My toilet was made in the USA.
My screen door was made in the US. My carpet was Made in the USA.

As everyone said, it's just about impossible to buy electronics made here.

Vizio used to assemble their TV's in the US but I don't think they even do that anymore. I have no doubt that if some US company managed to figure out a way to build quality TV's here at a competitive price point, they would quickly become the #1 seller in the US.
"[SIZE=4]TV's Made in the USA Directory

[/SIZE]
*Element is an American Company. While we have many International Trade Partners and
Retail Customers, it has been a high-priority of ours to produce products in America! After 2
years of hard work and planning, we are proud to announce that Element will begin to
produce some of its large screen size TV's in the Detroit, Michigan Area – effective January
2012! To our knowledge, Element will be the only brand of TV's assembled in America. We
hope you will look and ask for these products if you are shopping for TV because America
Matters

Seura Televisions strive to elevate luxury technologies to fine-art status, creating products that
bridge the gap between technology and décor. With innovation at the heart of the business,
Séura continues to drive its products to new and unexplored territories. Every product is
engineered and hand-crafted in Séura’s facility in Green Bay, Wisconsin

[SIZE=4]The American Made Products Directory[/SIZE]

TV's Made in the USA

Old 01-24-2015, 11:19 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Thanks. I knew that list was somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics