Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

Have a question about using a wi-fi streaming device--
I have Samsung non-smart flatscreen in master bedroom w/ a Sony (non-smart DVD player)...but my husband prefers to watch his brand of programs in the living room where we do have smart blu-ray player
I watch my IPad alot in my bedroom and access Hulu+ or other streaming sites but frankly I am starting to want to use the larger screen on the tv--

I have Sony Wifi blu-ray smart dvd players in our vacation house in FL--and am happy with the quality --they haven't flaked out when we have updated them--so would get another Sony
but I rarely watch any dvd in the bedroom--

would the more cost efficient way to add streaming capability to the bedroom tv be to buy a Roku, a Chromecast, or get a newer smart Sony wifi smart DVD player--
we have a Chromecast we used in vacation home to image stuff from computer (because that was only way to view on flatscreen) but found it awkward

I would need a wi-fi ready vs a wired device whatever I get--
can afford to pay more than $100 for unit but don't really know that is necessary--

w/o checking I am thinking that my flatscreen since it is in bedroom might be a 720 vs 1080--
if that matters...
but it does have USD and HDMI

appreciate any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Roku. No question. Small. Cheap. Dead simple. Does everything you want.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:48 AM

are you referring to the Roku stick? or 3? or just any Roku device?

Old 02-09-2015, 12:14 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
The stick is rather slow from what I have read, you can get the top of the line Roku 3 for under your budget, best option IMHO.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:30 PM

Bought a stick--the HDMI version--today for $40 at Target. Half the price of the Sony blu-ray smart player and also the Roku 3. The stick seems to be working ok after a problem while trying to install some channels--it froze on a screen and I couldn't get it to release--
I got fairly quick response from Roku on line w/a text chat--
finally had to replace batteries in the remote and it seems to be working ok now but didn't really spend any time watching anything tonight

it is awkward because I have to use the television remote to change the source and then use the Roku remote-
just another piece to keep up with--and it doesn't seem like there is a way to really turn the remote OFF even if tha HDMI source is not in use when the stick is plugged in--
so will have to see what that does to the batteries over several months--
I also used the power cord to the HDMI stick vs letting it run off the flatscreen--I think that is a powered outlet but didn't want to have issue...

there are couple of "channels" I wish were not on the option screen but don't think I can delete them--

thanks for the input

Old 02-10-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
there are couple of "channels" I wish were not on the option screen but don't think I can delete them
How To Delete A Channel From A Roku Player | RemoveandReplace.com

Old 02-10-2015, 07:41 AM

thanks--will come back to it when I have time to actually do it
I would imagine there are some apps/channels that can't be removed--just like my phone comes with some I can't get rid of even if don't use them...

Old 02-10-2015, 07:49 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Quote:
just another piece to keep up with--and it doesn't seem like there is a way to really turn the remote OFF even if tha HDMI source is not in use when the stick is plugged in--
Turn the REMOTE off??
Remotes don't need turned off...
And you would have the same "Multiple Remote Problem" with almost any solution...

Old 02-10-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
thanks--will come back to it when I have time to actually do it
I would imagine there are some apps/channels that can't be removed--just like my phone comes with some I can't get rid of even if don't use them...
I just bought a Roku 3, was able to remove all channels I didn't want that were preinstalled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Turn the REMOTE off??
Remotes don't need turned off...
And you would have the same "Multiple Remote Problem" with almost any solution...
Can't say I've ever seen an A/V device that had a remote with a power switch, gotta be one out there somewhere though.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
The Roku stick is a ridiculous bargain. I have one - and other than it is a bit slow at power up - it is responsive enough.

It requires power - either from the wall supply or a USB port. HDMI connections do not supply power for the unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics