Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:40 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,492,471 times

Advertisements

I've heard about Beats Audio (seems to be a fashion statement thing), but if I am in the market for a new set of headphones, but I don't want to pay premium price for them, what would consider the best headphones to get at a bargain price? Meaning, as much below $100 as possible. No earbuds, just nice, comfortable headphones with rich bass, but decent highs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 12:19 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,073,740 times
Are you ok with a long cord? If you are then these are the best headphones 100 bucks can buy by far in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-P.../dp/B000AJIF4E

These things get used by a ton of audio engineers including myself. I see them in many recording studios and I saw them on the set of Lincoln too!

Personally, I think they sound better than most consumer headphones costing 4x as much. They're incredibly well balanced.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,175,566 times
I like these:

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-451-High-P.../dp/B005LBQ7BY

or

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...dp/B00HVLUR54/

Old 02-09-2015, 02:37 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,279,019 times
I still like and use my old-style Koss Pro4 series headphones.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Are you ok with a long cord? If you are then these are the best headphones 100 bucks can buy by far in my opinion.

Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Musical Instruments

These things get used by a ton of audio engineers including myself. I see them in many recording studios and I saw them on the set of Lincoln too!

Personally, I think they sound better than most consumer headphones costing 4x as much. They're incredibly well balanced.
I actually prefer a long cord so that I can move around in the room.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 AM

Those both look nice. Have you had personal experience with either ones?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:12 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,873,532 times
I have a pair of ATH-M50s and they are very good. The response curve is nicely flat and not overly V shaped which is great and things sound as they were meant to. They are not overly bass-heavy and if you're a bass-head you probably won't like them.

After many hours using them my ears feel sore sometimes, but if you position them correctly so that your ear is slightly lifted by the back of the cup, I can wear them all day (and do). The detachable cable version comes with slightly softer pads and less clamping force on your head so they're more comfortable, but they're also more expensive and I did not opt to get them. I'm still more than happy with my pair.

Some people don't like them, though. There always seems to be something else out there that beats X in Y category, but if you want an informative source these guys know what they're talking about and may be of use to you.

Ignore the gaming side of it, it's good info for normal buyers too. Skip to 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dj5G0isn9Y

The reason he doesn't seem to like the ATH M50 is because of the price of $170 and that they're closed. I wanted closed because I want isolation. I do not need or want an open sound stage even though they DO sound better and are more positionally accurate. Also, I travel with mine and they fold up great, but he mentions that too. The non-detachable version of them are $140 right now and sometimes go on sale for $99 (which is what I bought mine at). At these prices they're hard to beat. The 40's have a very slightly smaller driver as far as I know and the headband is not as rigid. If you can get the 40's for cheap or you really want the detachable cable, go for those.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,175,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Those both look nice. Have you had personal experience with either ones?

No, I have a different model of Audio Technica that's a bit more expensive but if I had $100 to spend, I'd choose either one (or the Sony in the post above).

Old 02-10-2015, 02:44 PM

I do like bass, although the headphones don't have to be extremely bass heavy. At the same time, I don't want them to be void of bass either, if that makes any sense. Basically, what I would be using them for is to listen to my records on my Audio Technica turntable. So, I wouldn't be wearing them all day. Probably an hour at a time. I do want them to be comfortable.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:40 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,649,407 times
I'm watching a movie and using a pair of AKG K167's at the moment, and I'm very happy with them. They might be a little out of your stated price range, but someone often has them on sale for somewhere near $100.

It's an excellent phone, but the bass is a little weaker than I like. It's my only complaint. Aside from that, I don't know if I could find a better headphone for under $300. I listened to a lot of cans before buying these, and this is the one I always found myself comparing the others to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics