Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:40 PM

600 posts, read 754,357 times

Advertisements

Whenever I want to watch a movie, I put the movie on a flash drive & connect the flash drive to the TV. This takes too long & is inconvenient.

Is there a better & faster way of showing digital movies on my TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Do you have a smart TV with wifi/ethernet ?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I have a computer connected to the TV, and just play off of that. My MIL uses the flash drive thing, I do not see what takes long or is inconvenient about it, just download from the computer, and plug into the TV.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Do you have a smart TV with wifi/ethernet ?
No, I have the following TV:

Specs - LED TV UN55FH6030F | Samsung TVs

Old 03-06-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I have a computer connected to the TV, and just play off of that. My MIL uses the flash drive thing, I do not see what takes long or is inconvenient about it, just download from the computer, and plug into the TV.
The transfer time of transferring the video file to the flash drive sometimes takes a few minutes. Also, the desktop computer & the TV are in separate rooms.

I'm looking for something that is a bit more instantaneous & can save me some time.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:40 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
I'm curious where you are downloading the movies from. In my case I have Roku 3 and watch mostly Netflix on it.

I also have a cheap PVR (personal video recorder) with an external 1 TB hard drive hooked up to it so I can record free over the air tv shows.

If you don't want to buy Roku, or if you are downloading from something that isn't available on Roku or another streaming device, maybe you could spend part of a day downloading several movies onto an external hard drive like I have that has much more space than a flash drive, then when you are settled in front of the tv you wont have to take the time to download another movie, possibly even having to erase the old one first.

My 1 TB external hard drive was fairly cheap on Amazon when I bought it. It was on sale for around $59 at the time. 500 GB was around $50.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
For a TV without network capability what I do is connect a laptop to it via HDMI cable. If you want to do it with a PC in the other room you'll need a device like this.

StreamEZ Wireless HDMI Streaming Kit- SWP700 | Warpia

I'm not recommending that device as I have no experience with it or any others.

-----------------

Assuming it works with hard drives another possibility is a wireless hard drive with hard connection for USB to the TV.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:07 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Apple TV.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I'm curious where you are downloading the movies from. In my case I have Roku 3 and watch mostly Netflix on it.

I also have a cheap PVR (personal video recorder) with an external 1 TB hard drive hooked up to it so I can record free over the air tv shows.

If you don't want to buy Roku, or if you are downloading from something that isn't available on Roku or another streaming device, maybe you could spend part of a day downloading several movies onto an external hard drive like I have that has much more space than a flash drive, then when you are settled in front of the tv you wont have to take the time to download another movie, possibly even having to erase the old one first.

My 1 TB external hard drive was fairly cheap on Amazon when I bought it. It was on sale for around $59 at the time. 500 GB was around $50.
I already have an external hard drive hooked up to my desktop computer. However, external hard drives are not portable like flash drives are. That's why I've been using a flash drive.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:40 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
i have an old acer revo connected to my tv running xbmcbuntu.

also chromecast seems cool.

if your in the diy mood:
//www.city-data.com/forum/cell-...ia-center.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics