Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 10:37 PM

47 posts, read 78,412 times

Advertisements

Should I buy an inkjet or a laser printer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 07:45 AM

336 posts, read 592,053 times
Laser has the least amount of maintenance cost and lasts longer. I rarely need anything printed in color so I bought a black-and-white networked laser printer. For photo printing, I just use the service at Target or online.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu16 View Post
Laser has the least amount of maintenance cost and lasts longer. I rarely need anything printed in color so I bought a black-and-white networked laser printer. For photo printing, I just use the service at Target or online.
Yes, if you don't print a lot, the laser is a better choice. If you have a high volume, the toner is very expensive compared to ink. We use an inkjet and rarely print, when we bought it we compared prices for replacement ink. The one we have now is only $34 for a pack of ink with tri-color and black. The color laser I have on my desk at work runs $150 for black, almost $300 each for the color toner cartridges.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:18 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
We have a black only HP laser printer that gives me around 1000 copies on a $74.00 toner. We also have a HP 3 tri color printer and we get between 300-400 copies on inkjet toner for $54.00.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Lesson to learn. Find a good seller on eBay for toner. I buy color toner for our Brother at around $80 for a set.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwan View Post
Should I buy an inkjet or a laser printer?
It really depends on your printing habits and printing needs.

If you print often, and print in large quantities, you'll want a heavy duty inkjet printer (like many of the HP Officejet series) as it will cost less in ink and print faster. If you print infrequently, a laser printer is a great choice as the upfront cost will be cheaper, and the toner, while being more expensive than a heavy duty inkjet, will be much less than a low-cost inkjet.

If you want to print your own photos in addition to documents, inkjet printers produce near-photo-quality prints while color laserjets are better for color charts and diagrams.

Laser printers are available in more compact sizes thank inkjet printers, but they also use a lot more electricity.

Decent Inkjet:

- Faster
- Cheaper to print
- Photo quality
- bulkier
- Higher upfront cost
- Good for high volume, frequent printing

Laser Printer
- Slower
- More expensive to print
- Better charts and diagrams
- Available in compact form factors
- Lower upfront cost than a decent inkjet printer
- Good for low volume, infrequent printing
- Perfectly capable at handling high volume, but will be slower and cost more in toner.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
It really depends on your printing habits and printing needs.

If you print often, and print in large quantities, you'll want a heavy duty inkjet printer (like many of the HP Officejet series) as it will cost less in ink and print faster. If you print infrequently, a laser printer is a great choice as the upfront cost will be cheaper, and the toner, while being more expensive than a heavy duty inkjet, will be much less than a low-cost inkjet.

If you want to print your own photos in addition to documents, inkjet printers produce near-photo-quality prints while color laserjets are better for color charts and diagrams.

Laser printers are available in more compact sizes thank inkjet printers, but they also use a lot more electricity.

Decent Inkjet:

- Faster
- Cheaper to print
- Photo quality
- bulkier
- Higher upfront cost
- Good for high volume, frequent printing

Laser Printer
- Slower
- More expensive to print
- Better charts and diagrams
- Available in compact form factors
- Lower upfront cost than a decent inkjet printer
- Good for low volume, infrequent printing
- Perfectly capable at handling high volume, but will be slower and cost more in toner.

I think you have the printer types mixed up. For example, inkjets will be slower, more compact, cheaper upfront, and have a higher print cost.

Do note that high end inkjets can match laser printers in printing speed and possibly print cost per page.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:07 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think you have the printer types mixed up. For example, inkjets will be slower, more compact, cheaper upfront, and have a higher print cost.

Do note that high end inkjets can match laser printers in printing speed and possibly print cost per page.
I was talking about desk/table-top printers. When you get into professional multi-thousand dollar printers, you're right. Laser printers print faster and cost less. But in the sub-$400 range for someone who prints a lot, inkjet will be faster and have lower print costs. For light-duty printing, a laser printer, while slower and more expensive in toner/ink, will be better due to the combination of cheap upfront cost while maintaining reasonable per-page print costs (compared to cheap inkjets). Frankly, if you print a lot, a high-end home office inkjet printer is the way to go. If you print sparingly, a low end laser printer is the way to go.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:47 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
We own two laser printers. A very old HP 1200 series (b/w) which is our default printer, and a multifunction Brother. We've had the HP for 6 years and when we got it it had toner in it. Don't know how new the cartridge was. We haven't replaced that cartridge yet.

The color carts last about 18 months so far, but will probably last twice as long in the future as we are no longer doing massive print jobs with it.

I will never buy another ink jet printer. If I need pictures I'll take a flash drive to Costco.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
It really depends on what you print and how much. Also, what do you consider the long run? Laser printers and inkjet printers are the obvious choices... but one is not better than the other for all scenarios.

Others in this thread have provided good insight. TexasLawyer2000 has provided a pretty good analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics