Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Except Verizon rips you off.

I think we might be changing carriers when the contract expires. They don't seem to want our business.
Not all cell towers are shared by every carrier. When you have visitors over, ask them how their signal strength is and what carrier they use. We had T-mobile and couldn't get even 1 bar at my Mother's house, had to drive about a mile to the main highway to use the phone. We found out that their neighbor had good reception on Verizon, so when the contract was up we switched, and now when we go there we have good service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 10:17 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
We had a major remodel done this summer. All the workers had the same problem. We've heard rumors for months that a new tower is being built close by, but have seen no evidence of one.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:25 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Our reception at our house sucks. It's not just us, either. When we were having the house remodeled earlier this year the workers also reported dropped calls, poor signal strength, etc.

My question is this: Is there an antenna of some kind I could mount on the roof that would pick up cell signals, amplify them, and rebroadcast the signal? We've talked to Verizon about it and their solution is over priced and buggy from what I can tell so it's not an option.

We aren't going to change providers for a while so don't bother suggesting it. Not an option.

I appreciate any help, and if you think this post would be better placed in a different forum let me know.
We recently moved and out reception was a huge issue. we upgraded to one of the best routers and that helped for certain items but our cell phone issues were just as big.

Our kids have iphones and didn't seem to have as many issues as we have with our Note Edge.

We went to AT&T and we advised to buy the "cell" and I believe it is called a "smart cell".

We paid $ 150 and hope to get the rebate check in the mail soon for $ 75.-.

It takes up to 90 min to get everything updated and to be functional but all our dropped calls, hardly any signal and others not able to hear us was instantly history!

We were told that Iphones have something built in and therefore have less of an issue but Samsung phones don't have that yet.

it was worth the money!

Old 10-13-2015, 10:29 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
We have the same phone. Hers drops calls like crazy. Mine doesn't. Well, not as much. So it seems to vary even in the same product line.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
We have the network extender, it works well. As already mentioned it's like mini cell phone tower and uses your internet connection for communication. It's should not be that much bandwidth but I really have no idea what it uses, I know decent voice encoders are down to a few kbps.

One thing to be aware of is anybody can use it. You need to be about 30 feet to connect but the range extends once you start using it. I was probably a good 150+ feet from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics