Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:49 AM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times

Advertisements

gguerra, thanks for the article.
agree on the basic kodi build vs. "canned" add-ons. Keep it simple.
I did have a problem in one of my test boxes when I installed Kodi/Jarvis 16.
After much research and testing, it turned out, I needed to upgrade the video driver in that box.
Apparently, Jarvis 16 needs Direct X11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 02:21 PM

359 posts, read 361,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So, in other words, your friend paid $250 for a box and I could do everything he's done on my phone for free.

All these boxes are total ripoffs. Period. Yes, they sometimes work. But there is NO support. O look, this one has a 6 MONTH warranty. 6 months? For $250 you only get a 6 month warranty? Why is that? RED FLAG.
You can EASILY install Kodi yourself on a phone, tablet, computer for $30 you can Chromecast it to your TV... But it's not on Roku which would make it super easy.
So these people throw together these poorly sepc'ed crappy little boxes to make it easier for the not so techy to get it on a TV and slap Kodi on it with some Kodi addons. most using pirate add-ons...

Educate yourselves...
XBMC Foundation Cracking Down On Abusers Of The Kodi Trademark | UfC Stream Boxing Streaming UFC Kodi Boxing Fight

local guy on craigslist has kodi added to whatever device you want that supports kodi his build includes a live tv guide 1 year of support including online remote support free updates of his build he will program your device for 100 bucks not bad at all

Old 05-02-2016, 02:29 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i was at a best buy too looking for a cheap pc to install kodi on. the sales person also said it was illegal. kodi is perfectly legal. streaming copyrighted material is wrong. i use my pc to play dvd's i bought.
went to bestbuy again trying to decide between a revo stick or firetv stick.
the sales person says i shouldnt be telling you this but a lot of people hack the fire to get illigal streams.

seems to a lot of people kodi == piracy.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
That's why the Kodi development community is getting a little more proactive about the Kodi trademark.

https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-selle...-killing-kodi/

Old 05-04-2016, 12:21 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Quote:
went to bestbuy again trying to decide between a revo stick or firetv stick.
the sales person says i shouldnt be telling you this but a lot of people hack the fire to get illigal streams.

For a lot of people, I would have to agree. However, it does work pretty good as a entertainment center front end.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 PM

583 posts, read 713,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Ok, so I have heard people swear by this box that you don't have to pay for anything just the box.
My wife's friend at work loves it. I asked someone about it at Best Buy & they said while it's not illegal it's not legal either. It's a gray area.

Does anyone have any experience with it? Or Know anyone who has one & there thoughts on it?
I recently set up this software and it is very cool! I sure saved a lot of money. That's for sure!

Old 06-18-2016, 07:31 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Kodi and the boxes are 2 separate things. One is a program the other supports the program. Amazon sells the box ,it openly and YouTube has many videos on how to hook it up. you can even listen to the local rescue dispatch.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:56 AM

247 posts, read 231,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Back to the original question about a Kodi box. I am quite experienced with Kodi. Ask me. Hand's down the cheapest and one of best ways is to load it on a Amazon Fire TV stick. The stick costs $40. You can side load Kodi and any add-ons you may want. I use ADBfire which is a tool you run on a laptop or desktop to connect to the stick. You can also do it directly from the device. I won't go into the details of Kodi. Just google and start reading. I have Kodi running on 2 fire sticks as well as a laptop which I as use as a home theater PC.

Hi. I am fairly tech-stupid, however, a friend installed Kodi on my Amazon Stick for me. I'm not finding "everything" like I was told I would. I'm interested in finding currently running tv/cable shows (Bravo, HGTV, TLC, Discovery, etc.). Can you direct me to find these shows? Thank you.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:45 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
They are going to be hit and miss as far as every channel you are looking for. I would try the "TV Shows" section on Exodus and "Phoenix TV" under the Phoenix add ons as well as the cCloud add on. Remember to use the search function. Each add-on has it. If you don't have those you will need to or have someone install them for you.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:44 PM

247 posts, read 231,035 times
Thank you! I do have Exodus and Phoenix but not sure about cCloud. I'll check tonight. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics