Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times

Advertisements

By arduous I just mean: ripping to FLAC takes a little bit longer but then you need to transcode (basically re-rip in layman's terms) to mp3 for most applications. FLAC is definitely more ubiquitous then it was a few years ago but it's still not supported as a format in most cars out today tmk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 09:48 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
I will be glad when automakers come out with an infotainment system that can read encoded FLAC files. Or at least make the systems compatible with an array of formats so that the user can pick which one they enjoy the most. Maybe the aftermarket systems do that? (Haven't had to look.)

I still enjoy CDs in my car, but admittedly, I like the convenience of an iPod or cell phone. Better yet, I like the convenience of offline Spotify, although the app has been kind of wonky with my iPod running an older version of iOS.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:30 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
By arduous I just mean: ripping to FLAC takes a little bit longer but then you need to transcode (basically re-rip in layman's terms) to mp3 for most applications. FLAC is definitely more ubiquitous then it was a few years ago but it's still not supported as a format in most cars out today tmk.
yup cool. i get it a little better now (+1). i dont have a car with mp3 built-in... i just use my mobile cellular-telefone and connect to it via blutooth. i have a fedora laptop so getting the mp3 codec was hard since its not supposed to be used in the u.s.a. so i just default to flac which every smart fone i've owned supports so i assumed it outgrew mp3 but perhaps not yet. anyways streaming is surpassing local files so this is like arguing if blu-ray is better than hd-dvd (most people stream online nowadays).

and since lossless is better, it seems stupid to go back to mp3 -- eventhough driving in a car with the windows down (wind noise, construction, ...) is a sub-optimal sound environment it doesnt really matter. and since certain model fones have sd-cards and hard drives are physically smaller, virtually larger and monetarily cheaper, then skimping on space (128 kbps, 300 kbps,...) is more hassle than its worth.

my comment about zune was shady... but seriously, does anything other than microsoft approved gadgets run wma ? its almost always better to not use a corporate proprietary format in case the product fails and you have to convert 1000's of files to a new format.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:46 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Maybe the aftermarket systems do that? (Haven't had to look.)
Many do nowadays, yes.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:32 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Has anyone encountered a CD that has Digital Rights Management that prevents the music from being ripped or transferred to an IPOD?

Old 08-20-2018, 03:08 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Has anyone encountered a CD that has Digital Rights Management that prevents the music from being ripped or transferred to an IPOD?
This should only happen when trying to make a physical copy of a CD, hence the name "ripping". If you can play it, you can rip it without any limitations.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

CD can be an ambiguous term. There is the physical CD and the CD Audio format indicated with the CD label, "Comapct Disc Digital Audio". For either a CD disc or player to use that label it needs to meet certain specs and copy protection mechanisms weren't a consideration when those specs were developed.

Discs with this label no native DRM or copy protections and you should be able to freely copy it anyway you want. If that label is not on the disc you actually don't have a normal Audio CD. You can always try some different software.

As side note if this is an old Sony/BMG disc from about 1 decade ago it may have installed a rootkit.

You may want to Google that specific title to see what is up.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:39 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Thanks EastFlatbush.

I successfully converted the files to MP3 and set my computer so it would rip in MP3 from here on.

Can you tell me if, once I have all my CDs in MP3 format, can they simply be put on a flash drive and can that flash drive be used to play them in the newer cars?
I've been using my smart phone as an MP3 player, plus I have an old Microsoft Zune player that still works, and has a lot of stuff I don't have on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics