Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
But I doubt there's going to be a power surge for the 10 minutes my vacuum is plugged in. Remember, this is for temporary use, not having things plugged in long-term (except alarm clock or a night light).

You're fine. No offense to everyone else but forget all this surge protector nonsense. IT Professional here, we're talking about a vacuum once a week?? Over complicating, as the internet often does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 02:16 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You're fine. No offense to everyone else but forget all this surge protector nonsense. IT Professional here, we're talking about a vacuum once a week?? Over complicating, as the internet often does.
The issue wasn't about running a vacuum it was about having an extension plugged in permanently so he/she wouldn't have to move furniture, it's in the OP and I suggested the power strip. No IT professional required for this one. It's not overcomplicating anything, it's actually simplifying things. A power strip moves the outlets to where you can reach them PLUS it gives you surge protection if you ever actually need it. No offense taken.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Surge doesn't usually come from using a vacuum, it will come from something like a lightning strike. Either way, the surge protector will give you what you were asking about to begin with, an extension cord with multiple outlets and surge protection and yes you can leave it plugged in permanently. If you do get it just make sure to get it with the length of cord you need.
Right, that's what I mean-- what are the odds there will be a surge (for whatever reason) while I have something plugged in briefly?

And no, I don't need multiple outlets or surge protection and didn't say I did. And the length of cord I need is really only about a foot, to clear the furniture in question (rails of bed because the outlet is directly behind one of them, or the bottom of the dresser, that stands on legs, because the other outlet is a few inches above the bottom of the dresser). I don't need the cord to reach anywhere as I'll have plenty on whatever I'm plugging in, it just needs to make an outlet easily accessible that otherwise wouldn't be.

I don't really have anything against a surge protector, except that it seems overkill to pay 30 bucks for 5 more outlets than I need when I can spend $10 on just a cord.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:10 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Go to the hardware store and buy a rugged extension cord such as this and you should have zero problems: https://smile.amazon.com/Quality-Hea...extension+cord

Old 01-10-2019, 07:23 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's not overcomplicating anything, it's actually simplifying things. A power strip moves the outlets to where you can reach them PLUS it gives you surge protection if you ever actually need it. No offense taken.

It is overcomplicating when we are talking about a VACUUM. Because again, he doesn't need surge protection. Even if his house was struck by lightning at the precise moment he is vacuuming, a vacuum isn't exactly a sensitive piece of equipment and will likely survive any surge.
...or her.
I have an extension cord plugged in... the old dumb kind with like 3 plugs on it... I route it behind my sectional sofa because the plug is SO far away and we always need to plug something in. Works beautifully. We just pull up the plug part between the cushions and plug in the electric blanket, or a phone... sometimes 2 phones. A power strip would be a pita.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Right, that's what I mean-- what are the odds there will be a surge (for whatever reason) while I have something plugged in briefly?

And no, I don't need multiple outlets or surge protection and didn't say I did. And the length of cord I need is really only about a foot, to clear the furniture in question (rails of bed because the outlet is directly behind one of them, or the bottom of the dresser, that stands on legs, because the other outlet is a few inches above the bottom of the dresser). I don't need the cord to reach anywhere as I'll have plenty on whatever I'm plugging in, it just needs to make an outlet easily accessible that otherwise wouldn't be.

I don't really have anything against a surge protector, except that it seems overkill to pay 30 bucks for 5 more outlets than I need when I can spend $10 on just a cord.
It seems you are really stuck on this surge protection thing. If you prefer, call it a power strip, forget the surge protection. It's there but doesn't affect you. and the price is not $30. Here's one for $11 and it has a 12ft cord. So no you don't need surge protection for household appliances, I never implied that you did. Some power strips happen to be surge protectors, it doesn't affect the price or what you use it for. These are three prong outlets, it's safer and you may need it. So, it's an extension cord (12ft) and gives you more outlets and you can keep it plugged in permanently. You can either place it on top of the dresser or next to it on the floor, same with the bed. I don't get how a power strip could be a pita. It just sits there on the floor, you plug/unplug as needed, same as with the wall outlets.
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CS...n%3A7070224011

You could get a cheap indoor extension cord with three outlets like Peregrine suggested but that is ususally two-prong, like this one. This one is only 6ft but you can easily get a longer one, $3.50.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Axis-4550...d-6Ft/19977242

You could also get a three prong extension cord with only one outlet like karlsch suggested. Get it now?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I am not an expert nor in the "know", but I have had two cords plugged in going on ten years now, only way to access the plugs behind some furniture. I have other cords plugged for several years now so I can have things like lights where I want them. They are actually surge protectors, but point is they are plugged in all the time.

Edit: Looking around, I have had some mixture of power strips, surge protectors, and cords plugged in for a long time now, not know how long, but at least years. I have a 15 foot extension cord running around for a charging port, that thing had to have been plugged in now going five year at least, lol. Time flies!

Old 01-14-2019, 11:19 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Go to the hardware store and buy a rugged extension cord such as this and you should have zero problems: https://smile.amazon.com/Quality-Hea...extension+cord
This. Anything else is overkill and not required in your situation except for charging a phone. For that one I would recommend a surge protector.

Quote:
For alarm clock, charging phones, plugging in a lamp periodically, Christmas lights, vacuum cleaner, etc.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
The cheap surge protectors strips are really just power strips. They offer no real surge protection. They also tend to fail after a while and do not work as a power strip or a surge protector. We have had better luck with the six outlet expandera that plug into the wall with no cord. However I do not think those offer much in the way of real surge protection either. They do not seem to fail as often as the cheap power strip surge protectors do.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:53 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Unplug extension cords when they're not in use.

And remember that extension cords are intended as temporary wiring solutions. If you find you're using them on a permanent basis, consider updating your home's electrical system.

State Farm: Extension Cord Safety: What to Do and What to Avoid
These are safety rules that are in place because the behavior increases the likelihood of doing something else that will increase the likelihood of electrocution

Extension cords that are in place for years are more likely to be tucked under carpets, or end up in a puddle of water. They may become frayed and not looked at. It's usually harder to splash water into a wall socket, and sockets in kitchens and bathrooms usually have ground-fault circuit interrupter or GFCI.

Many many people leave extension cords plugged in for long periods of time. I know my parents have one nailed into place for about 40 years. Just be careful of other hazards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics