Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 02:59 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

Hey hey!!! Been trying to research, to no avail, streaming service that allows you to watch TV on 2 TVs in 2 different houses.

Any ideas? I guess Vue is 1 TV and 4 other devices that might work. Curious if a service can watch TV on 2 TVs simultaneously.

Look forward to reading suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 06:30 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Most streaming services limit the number of devices that can be used simultaneously. They don't check and see if the devices are using the same IP address.

Number of screens at once Price Resolution
1 Basic (streaming) $9 SD
2 Standard (streaming) $13 HD
4 Premium (streaming) $16 HD + Ultra HD

So if you have the standard plan you can watch in as many different houses as you want, so long as only two screens are streaming at once.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Not sure what service Paco is quoting you there?!?

You can do this with any of the services. You aren't supposed to, but every service knows people do and does nothing to stop password sharing.
Yet...

Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not sure what service Paco is quoting you there?!?
Netflix

Old 01-18-2019, 06:06 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You aren't supposed to, but every service knows people do and does nothing to stop password sharing. Yet...
The Netflix CEO has acknowledged password sharing and said he is not opposed to it.

Once the executives are satisfied that no more growth is possible, streaming company executives may approach this issue with a carrot, rather than a stick. They could offer a small discount to "single" users who always log on with the same device. It could be marketed as a service to the poor, much as my cable company sells 10 Mbps Internet service for $25 a month so that even people with limited incomes can afford the internet.

Presumably, if two simultaneous streaming in HD costs $13 on Netflix, and one simultaneous streaming in SD costs $9, the discount may be $2 off for every month you use only a single device. Although $2 doesn't seem like much, it might prevent you from giving your brother in law ho you don't really like your password.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hey hey!!! Been trying to research, to no avail, streaming service that allows you to watch TV on 2 TVs in 2 different houses.

Any ideas? I guess Vue is 1 TV and 4 other devices that might work. Curious if a service can watch TV on 2 TVs simultaneously.

Look forward to reading suggestions.
Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix all allow this.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:46 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
We have DirecTV Now - also allows it. I have the app installed on the Apple TV connected in the living room and our bedroom. Works fine. Plus we have the app on our iPads.

To be fair, I rarely even use it. The only reason we actually pay for that is to get access to a few channels and their apps - Nick, Discovery, Bravo, etc. Most of what we watch is on CBS, so we pay for CBS All Access for that. I can count on one hand the number of times I've watched "live" TV in the last year!

Old 01-28-2019, 01:24 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
We have DirecTV Now - also allows it. I have the app installed on the Apple TV connected in the living room and our bedroom. Works fine. Plus we have the app on our iPads.

To be fair, I rarely even use it. The only reason we actually pay for that is to get access to a few channels and their apps - Nick, Discovery, Bravo, etc. Most of what we watch is on CBS, so we pay for CBS All Access for that. I can count on one hand the number of times I've watched "live" TV in the last year!
FYI, some of the CBS All Access content may be available outside North America on Netflix or another streaming provider. I know that's the case for Star Trek: Discovery. A VPN can make your system seem like it's streaming from the UK.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:58 PM

255 posts, read 69,303 times
For those of you who have cut the cord recently, what does your current entertainment package consist of after you dropped your cable provider, and how much does it cost you per month?

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2019, 05:36 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
I pay about $150 all in for gigabit Internet, Netflix, and Directv Now’s top package with HBO added.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics