Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 08:30 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

I currently have a C Crane wifi Clock Radio. If there is nothing on the radio presets it is impossible to find another station. During the day would be fine, but I don't want to have to go through pressing and clicking a million times to find another station. It would wake me up.

I need a radio that has a sleep timer so I can set it for and hour and it will go off. I don't want my phone involved and I am not looking to hack something to work. I have several Bose products but none have a sleep timer so that kills that idea. I don't want to use Alexa. Is there such an animal? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 08:55 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
I was all set to suggest looking at C Crane....love my wifi radio.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-29-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I was all set to suggest looking at C Crane....love my wifi radio.

Regards
Gemstone1
I have the little rectangular box clock radio and I love the quality. But, my presets now with the current situation are all corona all the time and my sports are all victim to corona so they are replaying old games and I am not interested in that at all. Trying to add in new stations at night only wakes me up. SO I am looking for an alternative. I am guessing there are not a lot because I am pretty good at researching this sort of thing and so far I have come up with nothing.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:38 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
My head hurts reading this. USE YOUR PHONE. There are a million apps to do this. Why do you not want to use the device that sits by your bed every night already? Or just buy an old school actual click radio?!?
I don't get this at all.....

Last edited by Peregrine; 03-29-2020 at 09:47 PM..

Old 03-30-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
My head hurts reading this. USE YOUR PHONE. There are a million apps to do this. Why do you not want to use the device that sits by your bed every night already? Or just buy an old school actual click radio?!?
I am sorry to have hurt your head. My reasons are simple. A) I am sorry that I don't keep my phone in the bedroom but I don't. B). Believe me I am far from stupid, I am unable to use a standard C/R since the stations I want are not available here, that is why I said WIFI. I can't pull in the old stations, I spent my life going to sleep to.
C) I want to be able to see the time at a glance and not actually have to do anything other than turn my head. D) If I want to change the station I don't want to have to fumble with the phone.

Thanks for the reply and I hope I have been helpful in making you understand.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:41 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am sorry to have hurt your head. My reasons are simple. A) I am sorry that I don't keep my phone in the bedroom but I don't. B). Believe me I am far from stupid, I am unable to use a standard C/R since the stations I want are not available here, that is why I said WIFI. I can't pull in the old stations, I spent my life going to sleep to.
C) I want to be able to see the time at a glance and not actually have to do anything other than turn my head. D) If I want to change the station I don't want to have to fumble with the phone.

Thanks for the reply and I hope I have been helpful in making you understand.
I do exactly the same thing as you. I don't like having my phone with me at night and usually I turn it off. Nothing like the old school radio alarm clocks.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I use a 10 year-old. Grace Digital wifi radio for overnight listening. It has a sleep timer and an alarm clock function, but they're kind of cumbersome to use. The newer units like the one at this link might be easier to use.

https://gracedigital.com/shop/encoreplus/

Old 04-03-2020, 07:07 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I do exactly the same thing as you. I don't like having my phone with me at night and usually I turn it off. Nothing like the old school radio alarm clocks.
I can't imagine any reason I would ever turn my phone off. There's a do not disturb option on most modern phones.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:02 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm usually on the "use my phone for everything" train but I had a WiFi radio for years and liked the fact that I could hit one button and get to a particular streaming station. Didn't have to worry about unlocking my phone, navigating to the app or shortcut, or pairing to a Bluetooth speaker. Super convenient.

That said, the reason I say "had" is because that WiFi radio no longer supports some of the services I used. And that is the reason I won't buy another one. It's a risk to buy one because you never know how long your radio, or at least your services on that radio, will be supported.

If the phone is out, Fire tablets are cheap enough that I could see buying one of those and some decent speakers and using them as a dedicated WiFi radio,

Old 04-03-2020, 01:10 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
They are all not that great, but you could try Grace or Ocean.
I like my German made Blaupunkt and it's great. Not sure if available on US market, though.

I also use Radio Garden app on my phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics