Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 10:38 AM

388 posts, read 327,669 times

Advertisements

A few home stereo speakers were rated at 16 ohms, most were rated at 8 but I'm seeing 6 these days.

How does the ohms rating relate overall home audio performance?

It seems as lower impedance speakers allow for higher wattage outputs from the receiver (tuner/amp):

Here are the specs for a $199 Onkyo receiver listed at amazon.com:

45 W/Ch stereo power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels Driven, FTC); 100 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 2 channels Driven) , AM - 530 kHz–1,710 kilo Hertz

How much is the receiver power output if (4) 6-ohm speakers are used vs (2) 6 ohm speakers?

Sidenote: Technics and Onkyo used to be the gold standard in home stereo components with Onkyo being in the upscale side. Now, Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer and Sherwood are common brands.

For tuner/amp power output, 100 watts per channel used to be par for the course and I think it still is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 12:14 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
IMO, Sony and Sherwood would be on the lower side for home audio.

There are many brands out there and people just have their preferences.

I'm sure Sony has some high end stuff but their quality may have done down. That's not to say it's junk.

I prefer Yamaha and have for years. They have some really high end stuff, some mid-range stuff but not low end.

There's Denon, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, and many more. Marantz is known as a high end brand and so are others you never heard of. They prefer quality over quantity and the price shows it.

As far as the ohms go, the lower the ohms, the more power they draw from the amplifier. 6 ohms is not that common, I usually see 4 or 8.

Stereo units only have two channels, so the question about 4 speakers does not apply. As you will see in the specs you listed, it states 2 channels.

100 watts per channel should be adequate for Stereo. With 5 or 7 channel amplifiers, you would typically get 100w x 5 or 100w x 7.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:04 PM

388 posts, read 327,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
IMO, Sony and Sherwood would be on the lower side for home audio.

There are many brands out there and people just have their preferences.

I'm sure Sony has some high end stuff but their quality may have done down. That's not to say it's junk.

I prefer Yamaha and have for years. They have some really high end stuff, some mid-range stuff but not low end.

There's Denon, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, and many more. Marantz is known as a high end brand and so are others you never heard of. They prefer quality over quantity and the price shows it.

As far as the ohms go, the lower the ohms, the more power they draw from the amplifier. 6 ohms is not that common, I usually see 4 or 8.

Stereo units only have two channels, so the question about 4 speakers does not apply. As you will see in the specs you listed, it states 2 channels.

100 watts per channel should be adequate for Stereo. With 5 or 7 channel amplifiers, you would typically get 100w x 5 or 100w x 7.

I am interested in possibly in starting out with two speakers and adding two more (or a subwoofer) later.

I will need to pay attention to the electrical specs on the speakers as well.

I want to make sure the initial receiver has the electrical specs to handle what I might add on later. Is it true that most STEREO receivers can handle at least two pairs of speakers? Many have connections on the back for both A and B speakers. Some have a subwoofer connection as well. I think it's important to buy stereo components that are a good match.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:29 AM

396 posts, read 601,746 times
there is no correlation between resistance (4 vs 8 ohms) and quality; amps output more power, up to a point, with lower resistance speakers. (good amps are usually rated to show both, and if they have a good power supply, you'll see the number double for each halving of resistance up to a point) most consumer grade receivers you'd see at best buy don't have a good power supply. (expensive internal components like a big transformer)

you won't hear much of a difference in perceived loudness between one amp outputting 100w through an 8Ω speaker versus 200w through a 4Ω, as perceived loudness is logarithmic (takes 10 times the power to double the perceived output)

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...oubling-Output

Old 05-03-2020, 08:11 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
there is no correlation between resistance (4 vs 8 ohms) and quality; amps output more power, up to a point, with lower resistance speakers. (good amps are usually rated to show both, and if they have a good power supply, you'll see the number double for each halving of resistance up to a point) most consumer grade receivers you'd see at best buy don't have a good power supply. (expensive internal components like a big transformer)

you won't hear much of a difference in perceived loudness between one amp outputting 100w through an 8Ω speaker versus 200w through a 4Ω, as perceived loudness is logarithmic (takes 10 times the power to double the perceived output)

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...oubling-Output
Not resistance. We are talking about impedance. Not the same thing. If you measure the resistance of a 4Ω speaker the result will not be 4Ω.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:10 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
A few questions.
1. What is/will be the source of your music?
2. What speakers do/will you own?

Old 05-04-2020, 11:59 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Just match it to what is recommended by the manufacturer of your amp. Usually it says on the back of the amp next to the speaker connections. There may be different connections for different speaker impedances.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:12 PM

396 posts, read 601,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Not resistance. We are talking about impedance. Not the same thing. If you measure the resistance of a 4Ω speaker the result will not be 4Ω.
impedance is the measure of resistance at a given frequency, the rating of which is a general figure. your hair splitting has contributed nothing to the conversation at hand, thank you and good day.

https://geoffthegreygeek.com/underst...ker-impedance/

Old 06-07-2020, 11:45 PM

740 posts, read 457,023 times
Pick your speakers first. That way, you can buy a receiver that can properly power your speakers. Onkyo is a former of itself. They aren't as reliable as they once were. I gave up on Onkyo receivers after owning two of them and they both broke down under 2 years. One was low end, the other was midrange. Thank God I bought warranties. My low end Harmon Kardon is 12 years old. My mid range Marantz is 14 years old. Both still working to this day. If you want Onkyo, get their higher end brand, Integra. I like Pioneer Elite and Yamaha Aventage.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:42 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,105 times
Honestly it doesn't matter. The speakers impedance varies with frequency. An amplifier has to be able to deal with a dynamic, ever changing load (impedance). A good amp can supply proportionally more current in response to a low impedance in a linear and predictable fashion. The dynamic ability to supply current on demand is what makes a good amp. Not the steady-state power delivery....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics