Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 02:24 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Those belly dance vendors, they can sell me anything.......and over the years, it has been plenty of instructional DVDs.

Well since this crisis has pretty well knocked out the dance classes and I now need to get my dance room going since I am sun sensitive, I guess it is time to set up to use the volumes I have.

I was at first thinking to use a computer set up because of spare components lying around, but finding a computer these days with a DVD player isn't quite the easiest thing to do.

Looking at Best Buy at TVs and DVD players, though, I can pretty well under cut the price even with (for a TV) or without (for the player) a maintenance contract. A 32 inch screen is probably a lot bigger than most monitors I can use.

BUT..........am I thinking correctly on this? Are there things out there in the consumer market that I don't know, such as certain brands may not be able to play home made disks or that TVs these days only come with HDMI hook ups (or is there something new?) and things like that?

Mind you, this will probably be an entirely off the Net purchase either way since it is very much less likely to go into the store and try to talk to a salesperson about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 03:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
If you already have a computer then just get a $10 external DVD drive. I’m not quite understanding what you’re looking to buy.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
If you already have a computer then just get a $10 external DVD drive. I’m not quite understanding what you’re looking to buy.
Well, if it is going to be used for instruction, the bigger the better, right? For that, I am finding that computers don't fulfill that adequately. I have a nice big monitor, for example, a left over from my Mom's 1st decade desktop, pins connection. I tried to connect that into my just over a year old laptop. Wouldn't work, doesn't have a pins connector at all.

So apparently, stringing together old computer components is not the way, especially since TVs and players are so much cheaper.

Doing TV research, one thing I DON'T need is a smart TV. It's not going to be used like that, just another "monitor" in an isolated system.

So now what I need are recommendations on brands, feet support (it is going to sit on a table), technology, things like that. It is going to be connected to a DVD player so I can watch some woman telling me how to do this dance, belly dance, routine.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:31 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, if it is going to be used for instruction, the bigger the better, right? For that, I am finding that computers don't fulfill that adequately. I have a nice big monitor, for example, a left over from my Mom's 1st decade desktop, pins connection. I tried to connect that into my just over a year old laptop. Wouldn't work, doesn't have a pins connector at all.

So apparently, stringing together old computer components is not the way, especially since TVs and players are so much cheaper.

Doing TV research, one thing I DON'T need is a smart TV. It's not going to be used like that, just another "monitor" in an isolated system.

So now what I need are recommendations on brands, feet support (it is going to sit on a table), technology, things like that. It is going to be connected to a DVD player so I can watch some woman telling me how to do this dance, belly dance, routine.
My god you're over thinking it.

For what you want virtually any TV will work. If you're capable of posting here you're capable of buying a simple TV.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
My god you're over thinking it.

For what you want virtually any TV will work. If you're capable of posting here you're capable of buying a simple TV.
TVs are hardly simple these days. Look how many come with Alexis, look how many are smart and while I don't need either, I wonder how soon it will be before such becomes the only things available.

AS IT IS, I have made my purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics