Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 03:16 PM

134 posts, read 118,753 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to place this, either here or home or fashion, etc, but anyway here goes: I have an electric jacket I've been wearing around the house this winter in order to help cut heating bill usage from both oil and household electricity. The jacket works fine, heats up fast and generally I start off feeling pretty warm even when the house is down to 50, but after a while I begin to feel clammy, almost like I'm wet with sweat, and have to turn it off. I can't stand the feeling. Not sure what's causing it. I check the inside of the coat, my shirt, and sometimes another shirt and none of them are wet. Does anyone have suggestions as to what might be causing this uncomfortable feeling and how to remedy besides having to give up and go back to the other heating sources? Keep in mind that I also use both an electric blanket at night and a throw sometimes during the day and neither of these cause this same uncomfortable feeling. Thanks in advance.

Moderator: Wasn't sure which forum to post this. If wrong one, please move to correct forum. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 03:20 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
It's possible that you get so warm that you start to sweat? The jacket is probably ok, it's just the feeling of a damp skin.
Is there a heat adjustment to medium/low heat?

Old 12-08-2020, 03:39 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Iverson View Post
I wasn't sure where to place this, either here or home or fashion, etc, but anyway here goes: I have an electric jacket I've been wearing around the house this winter in order to help cut heating bill usage from both oil and household electricity. The jacket works fine, heats up fast and generally I start off feeling pretty warm even when the house is down to 50, but after a while I begin to feel clammy, almost like I'm wet with sweat, and have to turn it off. I can't stand the feeling. Not sure what's causing it. I check the inside of the coat, my shirt, and sometimes another shirt and none of them are wet. Does anyone have suggestions as to what might be causing this uncomfortable feeling and how to remedy besides having to give up and go back to the other heating sources? Keep in mind that I also use both an electric blanket at night and a throw sometimes during the day and neither of these cause this same uncomfortable feeling. Thanks in advance.

Moderator: Wasn't sure which forum to post this. If wrong one, please move to correct forum. Thanks!
The reason for "feeling clammy" is because the jacket you are wearing doesn't allow water vapor (perspiration) to scape. Perspiration condensates (turns into vapor), so in a way your body is surrounded by a warm layer vapor between the jacket's liner and you skin. It feels hot and clammy, even if you aren't wet. It feels the same when you are wearing a rubberized rain jacket.

I don't know how cold it is where you live at, but in the Interior of Alaska where I reside, I would never set the thermostat to 50 degrees, because if the boiler malfunctions (or the electricity goes out for several hours), there is a risk for the heat and water pipes to freeze. A jacket made of a thick layer of fleece should be all you need for wearing indoors. Then some fleece blankets for times when you are sitting down watching TV or something.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-08-2020 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-13-2020, 11:40 AM

134 posts, read 118,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The reason for "feeling clammy" is because the jacket you are wearing doesn't allow water vapor (perspiration) to scape. Perspiration condensates (turns into vapor), so in a way your body is surrounded by a warm layer vapor between the jacket's liner and you skin. It feels hot and clammy, even if you aren't wet. It feels the same when you are wearing a rubberized rain jacket.

Maybe, but there has been a slight break in the cold weather we had been having. Indoor temps are now around 58-62 F. I can wear the same electric jacket and don't experience the same clammy feelings. So, not sure why I am having it when colder and not warmer.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:57 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Wool sweater.

And if you're cold, first thing to do is put on a hat. A wool sock hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics