Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 01:23 AM

388 posts, read 327,669 times

Advertisements

There are some improvements needed for MP3 music playback. I still wish for a way to bookmark playlist playback for automatic playback resumption at a future time.

I don't like to have to be forced to start over from the beginning when returning to a given playlist.

I would like the ability to pick up where previously left off when returning to a music playlist whether in the shuffle mode or not. Digital audio player devices or digital music player apps need a RESUME feature for playlist play options.

I would also like the ability to MIX playlists. The device or app's picking tracks across a number of playlists and playing them back randomly. I might want a playback fusion of a jazz playlist and a rock playlist.

I want more customization features for music playback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 02:22 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,463 times
WinAMP (one of the earliest mp3 players) has always supported this.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:28 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
If you are 'Mixing playlists' you are effectively creating a new playlist.

As for the other feature, have you tried requesting it in an app? We live in the golden age where it's so easy to reach out to people who makes apps and ask them to add features.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If you are 'Mixing playlists' you are effectively creating a new playlist.

As for the other feature, have you tried requesting it in an app? We live in the golden age where it's so easy to reach out to people who makes apps and ask them to add features.
Not really...it's selecting from two or more existing playlists on the fly. Like picking a See's candy from a soft-centers box then another piece from a truffles box and another candy from a Skittles bag and so on.

I would really like to bookmark my playlists more than anything else.

I might be listening to a rock playlist then in the middle of it switch to a jazz playlist then in the middle of that one switch to a classical music playlist then when I go back to the rock playlist again I don't want to start over from the beginning until every song in the playlist has been exhausted.

I like a lot of surprise and variety in music listening. Just the way the radio DJ plays songs. I don't want to hear the same song repeated every two hours or so.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:10 AM

Pretty sure my old Rio Audio player could bookmark Playlists. lol I still have it collecting dust somewhere.

To the first point, that is absolutely creating a new playlist.
If I put 2 playlists together and shuffle them together it is now a new playlist. This is how every app and player will see them. It's not like picking 2 candies. lol

What devices or apps are you using? This would help.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure my old Rio Audio player could bookmark Playlists. lol I still have it collecting dust somewhere.

To the first point, that is absolutely creating a new playlist.
If I put 2 playlists together and shuffle them together it is now a new playlist. This is how every app and player will see them. It's not like picking 2 candies. lol

What devices or apps are you using? This would help.
Android 7.1.1.1 Moto E4 phone
Musicolet player app

Playlists originated in Microsoft Windows Media Player and then were converted to M3U folders using a free software download product called AmoK. The Moto Android phone/Musicolet app handles these M3U playlists. These are music folders stored on an external microSD card in the phone. The Playlist is essentially a folder full of MP3 tracks with a special file inside called an M3U file that the AmoK program creates. This keeps playlists in sequence. The songs are indexed.

My idea of mixing Playlists is this:

I have a Playlist (M3U folder) called The Beatles and another such folder called Styx. Suppose I wanted to hear a song from The Beatles followed by a song from Styx then from the Beatles again? When I say PLAYLIST I mean a pre-made M3U folder. Essentially I want to mix M3U folders during playback drawing songs alternately and randomly from each.

The bookmark feature in theory would allow this:

In the middle of Eleanor Rigby track playback on The Beatles playlist, I select The Doors playlist (folder). I basically change the folders (playlists) for playback. Then in the middle of Light My Fire I switch back to The Beatles playlist again. I would be prompted to do one of the following:

-start playlist over from the beginning

or

-resume playback

Selecting RESUME in theory would start The Beatles folder to pick up from the middle of the song Eleanor Rigby left off previously. Selecting START OVER would start the playlist (M3U folder) from the first song on it, Act Naturally, unless I opt for random shuffle mode.

Another player app feature might be to set the software to use RESUME from bookmarked location by default whenever returning to playlist. If the shuffle mode was previously used, it also would then resume when the playlist is revisited.

One more feature I would like is to set the default playback mode for each and every playlist. For The Beatles playlist I would like the playback mode to be shuffle. For Pink Floyd's The Wall, I would like that playlist (M3U folder) to be non-shuffle since tracks on that rock opera album fade into one song to another and must be kept in a certain sequence for per listening. Certain music albums (rock operas, classical operas, suites) are not originally designed for shuffle playback. They were originally played on LP records and audio tapes which could not shuffle tracks.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the more in depth explanation. I totally understand what you want to accomplish by using 2 playlists. I still think just creating a new playlist from 2 solves the problem. You just lose the ability to choose which playlist to listen to.
This is a ridiculously specific request the way you want it I think it's safe to say: that ain't happening. LOL

I don't think your last request: specifying shuffle for this PL and not that PL will happen either. It's just a toggle you can turn on when you start playback.

Bookmarking playlists is the only one that I think a) is do-able easily and b) has been done before already. Surely there is an app that offers this when my Rio did a very long time ago.

You could pull up a list of players and email the developers about it. At the very least you might get a reply about WHY it doesn't seem to be an option. I use Rocket Player. I don't see the option. The Dev is super responsive though. I've talked to him more then once.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the more in depth explanation. I totally understand what you want to accomplish by using 2 playlists. I still think just creating a new playlist from 2 solves the problem. You just lose the ability to choose which playlist to listen to.
This is a ridiculously specific request the way you want it I think it's safe to say: that ain't happening. LOL

I don't think your last request: specifying shuffle for this PL and not that PL will happen either. It's just a toggle you can turn on when you start playback.

Bookmarking playlists is the only one that I think a) is do-able easily and b) has been done before already. Surely there is an app that offers this when my Rio did a very long time ago.

You could pull up a list of players and email the developers about it. At the very least you might get a reply about WHY it doesn't seem to be an option. I use Rocket Player. I don't see the option. The Dev is super responsive though. I've talked to him more then once.
The trouble with digital music app developers is they they are not musicians, songwriters, record producers and composers. They have no appreciation of various musical genres and how they should be properly presented for playback.

Pop, jazz, country, R&B, and rock tracks should be shuffled and played randomly as they do on top-40 radio stations. A Pink Floyd rock opera album can only be presented in a specific sequence.

There should be a consortium for music software development that included professional musicians, songwriters, sound engineers and composers. Music playback on electronic devices should be faithful to the art of the music creators and performers. No, you can't randomly shuffle the parts of opera or movements of a symphony or a suite.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
The trouble with digital music app developers is they they are not musicians, songwriters, record producers and composers. They have no appreciation of various musical genres and how they should be properly presented for playback.
Yea, I think you might be being a little judgy there. I promise you the guy behind Rocket Player: https://www.jrtstudio.com/Music-Play...20and%20videos. absolutely LOVES music. LOVE this app.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:35 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Yea, I think you might be being a little judgy there. I promise you the guy behind Rocket Player: https://www.jrtstudio.com/Music-Play...20and%20videos. absolutely LOVES music. LOVE this app.
The big comparison would be to the defunct Pono player. If Neil Young didn’t add these features, well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics