Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 11:25 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I believe they were talking about the Internet access part of the services. Not just the TV portion.

Also - whether there is competition depends on what programming you watch. The biggest downside to the free services is sports. If you are a big sports fan, you're likely going to be paying for that. While an HD antenna will get your the local sports broadcast, you're not getting any premium sports channels.

That said - cutting the cord is likely going to be cheaper.
I was able to get all the sports channels I need with the TV vision Live Zone package

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNEWS
FS1
NFL Network
NFL Redzone
NBATV
TNT
TBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The Firestick has plenty more live TV available and will have more in the future and you don't even have to pay extra. Yes, it comes with ads but so does most of regular TV doesn't it?

There is a menu option called "Live TV" and it groups everything together. No need to install individual apps. My stick is a bit older, have not received the update for the new user interface. I have been reading about it on my feed.

Here's one article.
https://www.androidcentral.com/amazo...-live-tv-today

These are some of the apps I use. There may be more by now and yes, they are all free.

Roku Channel
Airy TV
Xumo
Pluto
IMDB TV
Crackle
Tubi
Smithonian
PBS
I noticed eps of Happy Days on Pluto is limited unlike Three's Company

Old 03-09-2021, 07:28 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Happy Days > 3s Company anyway.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:18 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I was able to get all the sports channels I need with the TV vision Live Zone package

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNEWS
FS1
NFL Network
NFL Redzone
NBATV
TNT
TBS
Right. My point was that you're unlikely to get sports channels without paying. Your TVision live is not free. Thus, your not getting it simply through HD Antenna and a Firestick (which was the post I originally responded to). Sports is one area that is simply not very feasible with free services.

That said - you'll still likely to find what you need cheaper than cable.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Right. My point was that you're unlikely to get sports channels without paying. Your TVision live is not free. Thus, your not getting it simply through HD Antenna and a Firestick (which was the post I originally responded to). Sports is one area that is simply not very feasible with free services.

That said - you'll still likely to find what you need cheaper than cable.
My reason for cancelling Comcast was for inconsistent crappy service not the price. After work I should be able to relax and watch cable and use the internet without any issues if I am paying for the service. So i was fed up with Comcast and decided it would be better for me to have cable and internet that doesn't have anything to do with outside wiring. And T mobile provides that for cable and Internet which made it so easy for me to cut comcast. In regards to sports, I never had a issue paying for it because it's in the fun category and we all need fun in our lives especially after 2020

Old 03-18-2021, 12:46 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I was told the electrical wiring outside the building caused the wire to melt which is why i didnt have a signal for the internet or cable. So I ended up staying at a hotel for the weekend to avoid staying home on a cold snowy weekend with nothing.
Well I just got burned by them. Had no internet, they sent out a tech who ended up replacing the modem. Was told at the time there would be no service charge as long as it was not my equipment. They lied. Just got my bill with a 70 dollar charge for the service call.
Got off the phone with them and did get the bill credited, but was told for future reference anytime they send a tech out for any reason it costs.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Well I just got burned by them. Had no internet, they sent out a tech who ended up replacing the modem. Was told at the time there would be no service charge as long as it was not my equipment. They lied. Just got my bill with a 70 dollar charge for the service call.
Got off the phone with them and did get the bill credited, but was told for future reference anytime they send a tech out for any reason it costs.
The $70 was the deal breaker and that's what made me cancel

Old 03-18-2021, 01:05 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post

Renting their equipment is a waste of money.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:13 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Renting their equipment is a waste of money.
Paying Comcast for a service call to replace a Comcast rented modem? If I was still with them that would get me to cancel as well.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Paying Comcast for a service call to replace a Comcast rented modem? If I was still with them that would get me to cancel as well.
I was all impressed they came out the next day after I called not knowing it was going to cost $70
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics