Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2024, 10:27 AM

94 posts, read 76,012 times

Advertisements

I see that there are already a few aging security camera threads here, but does anyone have recent experience or have opinions on modern Outdoor residential security cameras? I'm looking for higher end, reliable, easy to use stuff. Or even a reliable web-based business that are professionals in such things.

I'm looking for at least four cameras-- three of which I want to be 180-degree view, and I prefer them to be PoE, and as small a footprint as possible for soffit mounting. An unobtrusive look is important to me and the HOA. The fourth one would need to be 270-degree view (if it exists) or two co-located cameras to cover the 270-degree field of vision, and that one would need a motion light attached to it. We live in a part of the country that gets down to about zero-degrees for a few weeks in the winter, so something robust.

And a basic NVR with maybe a week's worth of storage.

I'm less interested in wi-fi cameras, but if I could add a wi-fi camera to this cluster of PoE cameras/NVR down the road, that would be a plus.

Internet seems to push me to Arlo, but I think Arlo just pays to be at the top of the list.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 04:45 PM

109 posts, read 57,211 times
If you haven't yet, consider finding a reputable security company that services your area. They'll know what will work for your situation:
- camera enclosures with heaters, etc., if needed
- resolution of the cameras for best possible image quality
- how much power a POE network switch would need to run the cameras (POE / POE+, etc.)
- cameras that will work with an IR (infrared) illuminator for night mode (vs motion-activated lighting)
- cameras that have the ability to view the areas you want (wide angle / pan-tilt-zoom) and pros / cons
- local recording (recording unit installed in your residence) vs. internet storage and fees associated.
- ability to access remotely via computer or phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics