Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:32 AM

124 posts, read 321,853 times

Advertisements

Will MagicJack work with ADT burglar alarm?

Already have Charter cable telephone and no problem with the ADT.

So can I just get a MagicJack and connect to the nearest phone jack with and have everything work as is?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,974 times
I do not know for sure, as ADT may be the best source to answer this. However, Your computer and internet connection will need to always be on for this to work. If you loss power, this means you lose your computer/internet and therefore ADT will not work.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:05 PM

228 posts, read 1,205,217 times
In theory it should. I think MagicJack creates a dial tone. I know it can be used with standard cordless phones.

You would need to have a computer that is always on, and it should be on a battery backup (along with your network equipment) so if you lose power you are still protected.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:24 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,974 times
If there is no power in the area I believe that the internet connection would be down as well. Even if they rae not, keeping up the computer and all of the networking equipment would require a huge battray bakc up as most of the "regular" UPS batteries will last for only a few minutes to keep up the computer, router, internet cable box etc.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:35 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
If there is no power in the area I believe that the internet connection would be down as well.
Why would you think that? Cable TV is not carried along the electrical lines, unless a pole goes down there's no reason you won't still have a cable signal in a power outage.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyals View Post
Will MagicJack work with ADT burglar alarm?

Already have Charter cable telephone and no problem with the ADT.

So can I just get a MagicJack and connect to the nearest phone jack with and have everything work as is?

Thanks in advance.
I tried an MJ, I would not rely on it for this purpose, unless things have improved with it I'd never use it for something that important.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:51 AM

124 posts, read 321,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I tried an MJ, I would not rely on it for this purpose, unless things have improved with it I'd never use it for something that important.

I only have it for wife's piece of mind. I think it's a waste of money.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:10 PM
jue

1 posts, read 45,727 times
ADT alarm systems and Magicjack do not play nice with eachother. meaning it wont work. I know cause I tried it. magicjack doesnt allow data to be transmited over its line, so the alarm nor a fax machine will work on it apparently.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
ADT should be able to hook you up with a box that enables your system to connect to their monitoring center over the Internet. My monitoring company (an ADT competitor) set me up with one of those when I switched to a VoIP phone service. I paid $99 for the box and $3 extra a month for the Internet monitoring.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 54,491 times
Like jue, I found out that ADT and MagicJack don't work. ADT says that MagicJack needs to update its software, MagicJack says it's ADT's problem. Plus, ADT (as far as the rep told me) only connects via a POTS (plain old telephone service) line or via a very expensive cellular service. They don't offer any type of internet monitoring.

Either way, I'm not happy as the ONLY reason I even have a phone line is for the alarm system, and I was tired of shelling out $50 a month to Time Warner Cable for phone service.

I looked up on netTALK's forum (they're a competitor to MagicJack) and they don't recommend using theirs with an alarm system.

Maybe I need to look for a new alarm company...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics