Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 06:18 PM

65 posts, read 523,720 times

Advertisements

I've moved into a new place, there is one phone jack (with two recepticles). The phone works in the top receptical, but if you plug it in the bottom one, you get no dial tone, and the phone spells out a message "line in use".

I have no idea what all of this means, but now I cannot use my new printer/fax machine, because there is not another phone jack to plug it into! Anyone who is savvy about these things, how do you add a (working) phone jack next to an existing one? (or get the bottom one to work?).
Should I call an electrician? The phone Co.? Is this a possible do-it-yourself project? Is there such thing as a 'splitter' like you an do if you want to plug two electronic devices into one outlet?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,242,974 times
yes there is a splitter.

google search results

The second jack on your wallplate may not be connected.

If you want to take a picture of the reverse side of the jack and post it, I'll look at it for you.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:07 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
The place you moved into may have had two phone lines coming in (thus the dual "outlet") as the previous posted said, just get a splitter - I've used them. Used to have dial-up and had one phone jack but needed the computer, printer, fax, etc.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:23 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Cheap splitters are available at Radio Shack and big box stores. Cost should be under $2.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Most printer/fax machines have dual/triple phone connections on the back. You plug the outlet line into the fax then add a second line from the fax to the phone. Pay attention to which is which because the connections are specific.

Go into setup and tell the fax machine to check the line at every call and answer if a fax "tone" is heard and ignore the call if not. This will allow the phone to get the non-fax call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics