Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 02:57 PM

132 posts, read 370,359 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking to get out of the impracticality of portable CD players, and get an iPod soon for music on the go. But I've been curious for a while about the longevity of digital files. They say the iPod Classic holds over "30,000 songs", so theoretically, you could spend $30k on downloaded music at 99 cents per. My question is this. If an iPod is damaged, or just craps out due to inevitable age, is there anyway to save the files, or are they completely gone? Because, if there is no way to save the content, then you're just biding your time until your investment goes poof! This scenario doesn't seem very sensible.

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 05:43 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,829 times
You have a backup of files on the computer.

If you're smart, you also back up the files on CD/DVD, online, and/or another hard drive.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
My always saves her on her computer in her Itnues list. Most of them she has cd's for. I just ordered her a new third generation touch in 16 MB.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,577,481 times
The files will be on the computer first, then transferred over to the ipod.... it is also a good idea to back up the library onto cd/dvd/external hd/flash drive as well. If the ipod breaks, all you are out is the price of the ipod, the other stuff will still be there.

You can also use itunes to put your cds on the computer to then put on the ipod.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:26 PM

132 posts, read 370,359 times
That comforts me a great deal, because I can't stand throwing money away. Thanks all!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,587,645 times
Simple answer:

Yes. Your Ipod is in-sync with your ITunes on your computer. They are both intended to be used in conjunction in case you lose your Ipod. You have all your music saved on your ITunes.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
I will add that you can install your own music CD's onto the iPod, not just download songs from Apple's iTunes Store to install on your iPod. What you do is to have the itunes software in your computer "Import" the songs of a CD you have inserted in the CD/DVD drive. Once you do that, then you have two choices: install the songs in the iPod manually, or automatically (Sync). I prefer to install songs manually, that way I have full control of what goes on.

This is what I usually do to install songs manually:

1. Create a "Playlist" in iTunes. This is just a folder where I plan to save the songs to. I name this Playlist any way I want. For example, "My Rock Music", or "Joe Satriani Playlist A", and so forth.

2. Then I open the "Music" folder in iTunes, and select all the songs I want to place in the Playlist.

3. I drag all the songs I want from the Music folder into the Playlist I have created. The playlist can have as many songs as you want.

4. I plug the iPod to the computer, and when the iPod shows in the list of components in iTunes (left side of the window), I drag the Playlist I have created and drop it on the iPod icon. The computer will take a few seconds to copy the songs from the Music folder and save them to the iPod, leaving the Music folder intact.

5. Once the Playlist has been saved to the iPod, just open the iPod with iTunes. You will see the Playlist you have saved, and it will have the same name as the Playlist in iTunes. This Playlist in iTunes is also left intact, since what you now have in the iPod is a copy of the Playlist you created in the computer.

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-05-2009 at 08:42 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 04:15 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,342,651 times
Its all saved on your computer through iTunes, even if your computer breaks when you get a new one you can download everything you already bought and you won't be charged.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:15 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,710,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Its all saved on your computer through iTunes, even if your computer breaks when you get a new one you can download everything you already bought and you won't be charged.

With online stores, once you buy it its your responsibility to keep it, just like if you bought a physical CD. Apple does have a program where if you lose your music, it will let you redownload it if you ask, but its not a backup service and it won't have all your music, just what you've bought.

As for longevity, I went all digital in my music library around 2000, and of around 10,000 songs, I have 37 that need to be replaced - either the CD ripping was bad, the CD skipped when ripping, or the file has become corrupt as its moved across four computers and various external hard drives. That's less than 1% corruption, so I wouldn't worry about losing music due to it.

You do need to back up your music however. An iPod acts like an external hard drive which is good, but you should have at least two backup sources for what you value. For me its music and photos/movies, so I have two external hdds I back everything up to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics