Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:51 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
That usually means one of two things. "We bought 6 acres and couldn't put the house where we wanted to because there was only one spot suitable for septic" or more commonly "We bought 6 acres and planned to split a few small lots off of it to sell and cover the price of the land but then we discovered most of it was crap"
Thanks for the clarity in your response...LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 07:23 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
Quote:
That usually means one of two things. "We bought 6 acres and couldn't put the house where we wanted to because there was only one spot suitable for septic" or more commonly "We bought 6 acres and planned to split a few small lots off of it to sell and cover the price of the land but then we discovered most of it was crap"
Nailed it.
However, for me personally, I would love to buy 6 acres with one buildable site and build on it. That way I would KNOW that I would never have to worry about someone building right on top of me. I mean I love neighbors, just not THAT close. And I sure wouldn't over spend and buy a lot of acreage in a "planned subdivision" with all the rules, reg and HOA fees that are associated with them. If I buy 6 acres and decide I want to build two barns and have goats, chicken and pigs, or save 20 rescue dogs or build a huge tree house for my kids, I want to do it with out asking permission from any one. Nor having someone complain about what I do on my own private property.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Nailed it.
However, for me personally, I would love to buy 6 acres with one buildable site and build on it. That way I would KNOW that I would never have to worry about someone building right on top of me. I mean I love neighbors, just not THAT close. And I sure wouldn't over spend and buy a lot of acreage in a "planned subdivision" with all the rules, reg and HOA fees that are associated with them. If I buy 6 acres and decide I want to build two barns and have goats, chicken and pigs, or save 20 rescue dogs or build a huge tree house for my kids, I want to do it with out asking permission from any one. Nor having someone complain about what I do on my own private property.
Right On Sister!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:05 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,477 times
Quote:
Nailed it.

Sounds like you're starting Noah's...Mouse's Ark, the sequel...

Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 AM

375 posts, read 1,096,725 times
Quote:
Nailed it.

No argument, if I can see my neighbors without binoculars that's close enough.

And here's a tip in case anyone does find themselves in possession of one building site and 5.5 acres of goat pasture. Document that the majority of your land is unbuildable, soil maps and a TDEC lot evaluation usually suffice (probably how you found out most of it was unbuildable anyway), and go have a talk with your tax assessor. In most counties they will cut you a break on your property taxes.

Consider that a freebie, I normally get consulting fees for advice like that.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:28 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
Sounds like you're starting Noah's...Mouse's Ark, the sequel...
Oh, if I had the space and funds to do so I would! I love animals.
I am aiming for something similar (to the land, not ark) for my retirement years.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:17 PM

315 posts, read 1,006,158 times
Just a bit of thought. My realtor up in Sparta has an awful lot of property that is being sold in there.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:03 AM

240 posts, read 1,155,649 times
There is alot of property all over that entire area. Sparta is real a cool town, small but has all of the things you need. Land owners are looking to sell property and try to make some money. There were also alot of spec owners now that the market is down looking to dump there land. Still a cool place to buy.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:55 PM

25 posts, read 82,186 times
"my realtor in Sparta has an aweful lot of land for sale"

There are ALOT of aweful lots for sale around there.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Wink Good to go back and reread some older posts now and again.

Quote:
No argument, if I can see my neighbors without binoculars that's close enough.

And here's a tip in case anyone does find themselves in possession of one building site and 5.5 acres of goat pasture. Document that the majority of your land is unbuildable, soil maps and a TDEC lot evaluation usually suffice (probably how you found out most of it was unbuildable anyway), and go have a talk with your tax assessor. In most counties they will cut you a break on your property taxes.

Consider that a freebie, I normally get consulting fees for advice like that.
I just ran across this post of yours, yarddawg, and am really glad that I did. That is great advise about your tax assessment considering it is based on buildable/usable property.

We had a tax assessment problem years ago in MI that ran back through the tax roles about 15 or more years. They had added our deep wrap-around porch and screened in rear patio into our home's sf. We were able to contest our assessment when we discovered the error and recouped all of the tax overage payment (even for years that we didn't own the house!)

But, I had not considered that scenario for unbuildable property. Thanks for the freebie. You can send a bill the next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville